Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi there,
I will be heading to the motherlode CA in September 2017. I don't habe much experience in detecting for nuggets. (as we don't have them in Germany) Got me a Whites GMT with 10x6"standard coil + 6" micro tireur coil + Whites headphone with individual volume setting. I read the manual over and over watched the Whites instruction video many times and read the book zipzip by Larry Sallee. I need some help on either using the auto ground balance or better go manual ? (does autotrack mask out small nuggets after several overpasses?) When do I need to go to the small 6" coil? Any help and good advice is highly appreciated especially on the VSAT and Gain setting as well as how fast to move the coil.

Many thanks in advance

Horst

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horst welcome to TNET! You have purchased a promising machine, I also own one with all four of the coils for it and have used the machine to find gold in the California gold country so it works! Unfortunately I am a bit rusty with its use as I've not been out with it in 4 years which I find quite disgusting though I've been paying off student loans so my time away has been worth it.

There should be plenty of information on the internet/You Tube about this machine and I suspect a frequent user on TNET will chime in soon. You have already been using the machine at home, keep doing this with different types and sizes of targets. The GMT will react to lead/brass/nickel the same as if they were gold. A recent post on TNET, Some Good Nuggetshooting Advice March 17, 2017, by Terry Soloman is a video about metal detecting advice given by several knowledgeable folks at a Prospecting Event. It is worthwhile watching. Best of Success....................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The micro coil is mostly for tight cover areas where the larger 6 x 10 won't fit. It's also a good coil for sniping cracks in the bedrock. It's a concentric coil, so may be a bit noisier than the 6 x 10, which is usually a double D wound coil. I just bought the micro myself, but haven't yet tried it. Where its size isn't a hindrance, I'd stick with the 6 x 10.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread