Actual California Laws - National Monument

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I need to know what the actual current laws are in California, and I'm having a hard time knowing what's real and current and what isn't. A lot information out there is hearsay and I need the truth. What are the current laws regarding mining in a National Monument in California? I'm also curious what the law says about selling small scale equipment within a National Monument in California as well.

Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a lot more "policy" than law involved. Since San Gabriel is new they haven't nailed down what will be the rules.

There are big plans ahead for your area of interest. Generally not good for Prospectors.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
National Monuments are Federal so there are no California, or any other state's laws that determine whether you can mine in National Monuments. Federal law and the Act that funded the Monument create the restrictions.

There is no mining or prospecting in funded National Monuments, National Parks or National Seashores with two minor exceptions.

If you are thinking of the new San Gabriel NM there has been no funding or laws passed by Congress. So far the San Gabriel NM exists only on paper. You can't make a claim there but without allocated funds to create rules and regulations to administer the NM the Forest Service hands are tied as far as prospecting or recreational "mining". It really hasn't changed the status much at all.

Don't expect that status to remain. Don't expect you will get support from the State or the courts. There will be pressure from the good citizens of LA to preserve the little bit of land that hasn't already been destroyed for their houses, pools and highways. They need fresh virgin ground to tag and trash and the San Gabriel NM fits that need perfectly. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"National Monument" says it all. It is federal property and their rules apply, not California. As a general rule no collection of any sort, including down to flower picking, is allowed in National Monuments and National Parks. There may be some old claims that were established prior to park or monument designation but those, to my understanding, are rare at best.

Oops....must have been writing response at same time as Clay.

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe there is still a comment period for the area. Unfortunately the deck is stacked. They talk about mining "pollution" and ignore the real concerns. Trash and human waste. Used diapers make really cool boats.

There is something like a three year plan. Gates, river view trails, designated access points. Much less parking. You'll need to catch the bus at Jack in the Box. Etc...

Mining? That's already illegal so there is not a lot of thought being put into that. (We know that it is legal but by going forward this way the "powers that be" can pretty much ignore our input.)

The hope is that the new administration will reverse the Monument status and restore/preserve our rights.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Just pointing out that "Metes-and-bounds surveys" are required for national parks and monuments, small-holding claims, private-land grants, forest-entry claims. Go talk to the "Surveyors' that did the "Metes-and-bounds surveys" to find out the details of any "Irregular tracts which are nonconformable to legal subdivisions". Then share the information thank you.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here we go again lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is in the details.

here we go again lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Yes the "Rush" can happen again when the 'Details' of the "Metes-and-bounds surveys" are more common knowledge. The "Private-land grants, Forest-entry claims" could tell a lot as well.
By the way there is a big difference between "Forests vs. Woods".

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some one fill me in on what we are talking about regarding San Gabriel Mountains. Can we still pan and sluice the east fork or not, is that changing?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some one fill me in on what we are talking about regarding San Gabriel Mountains. Can we still pan and sluice the east fork or not, is that changing?
It appears by looking at the links that much of the area in question is "Surveyed" on Plat maps as National Forest lands with a question about the "National Monument" not being clear unless this one missed something there?
The rules are different for each types of "Surveyed lands" as far as "selling small scale equipment within" goes as well as the 'pan and sluice use' goes as well. Just have not looked at the maps that well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread