Southern Motherlode is on fire!

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Detwiler fire is burning the southern Motherlode. Mariposa and Coulterville have been evacuated. It is over 70,000 acres with 3,100 fire fighters on the lines and a number of houses have already been burned. The Rim Fire was in the same general area but further east, this one is on both sides of highway 49 near Lake McClure. It jumped the Merced river in the Bagby area and is now burning the Merced River valley up and down stream. One of my claims has burned and another is probable. This is right where Proline and AMRA are situated. There is an interesting read on AMRAs home page about hiking out equipment and throwing metal items like sluices in the river to come back for after the fire. Caught that area off guard because they were all hopeful that it would not jump the Merced. This is all very steep chaparral area and will be very difficult to get a handle on. The whole area is inundated with smoke, including Tuolumne and Calaveras Counties, Yosemite is completely smoked out.

Say a prayer for those in the area.

Upvote 0

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is going to get bad.

Dangit that is some pretty country.

Lots of good people.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Other than property, resource and scenic damage it could end up being bad news for you California miners. The Forest Service has a habit of closing some burn areas for months after fires for safety purposes and/or so that the areas can heal themselves.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
auburn/foresthill went up today with evacuation luckily they got in top of it and its out now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forestfire Aftermath

IF, Forest Management allowed small burns to take place then the heavy Fuel situations that we have now would not exist.

Once a forest has burned there are many partially fallen trees to contend with, these could let go at any time to fall on Anything that might be in the way, including folks trying to prospect hence, closed forests. Then, hiking through a burned forest is No Picnic with all the logs one must negotiate. There is a mixture of trees that have fallen completely to the ground and at various other heights, think a large game of Pick-up-Sticks, making it miserable to get yourself and a simple pack to any prospecting spot. Now try to haul some bulky mining equipment And your pack, lots of hard work as well as full of ash and carbon Dust!

IF the forest burns to the tree tops then the forest floor sees full sunlight allowing Huge weed and ground cover to grow unchecked. This heavy growth covers trails nearly completely, grows to extreme heights, drops more seeds for next years bumper crop and provides enough quick burning fuel to make some really HOT fires quickly. Un-controlled fires are not our friend! IMHO.................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching the Army Corp bulldoze Bagby, push the contents into piles and burm them to the ground nothing surprises me. Bet you the 3 steps from our back porch are still there. Have friends evacuated and praying for their homes. The best Museum in the entire Motherlode is there and the State also. Summer from hell as 105, then 110+ here for days with OVER 100++ for at least yet another week . 5 fires put out yesterday alone. Work on your defenseable perimeter NOW- God bless Mariposa the gem of the motherlode.John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IF, Forest Management allowed small burns to take place then the heavy Fuel situations that we have now would not exist.

I agree 100%, just have to time it right and right now is NOT the time. As Hoser pointed out, it has been over 100 in the area for weeks now and after a record year of rain, the hills around here are ripe for fire. They thought they would let the Rim Fire burn out some of the brush and it ended up growing something like 37,000 acres overnight and burned over 250,000 acres overall. Late Fall is the time to let this stuff burn, after a rain or two and there is some moisture in the air.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is sad. I spent as much time as I could up a long the 49 highway when I lived in Fair Oaks, Cail. I can't imagine the devastation to such beautiful country. :(

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay safe all in the fire areas.. keep in mind the safest option in a wildfire situation is to leave early ... well before the fire. Been so many over here die in their cars trying to leave at the last minute, some within 200 feet of their own driveway. Fire can be a nasty beast and has a tendency to throw the rules of physics and presumption out the window, creating its own weather with erratic winds and occasional thunderstorms makes for more un-predictabilty and if you're uphill of it the fire will double its rate of spread every 10 deg of slope. Been dancing with this beast for 15 years in Aust. so I'm not blowing hot air, the last two fires in my area over 3 years have surpassed 1000 000 hectares ( 2500 000 acres) and we having the driest winter I have known since being here. Again - get out early and look after your loved ones and those near to you ..... property can be replaced .

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread