Dams...better than I thought?

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Imagine a large river that was known to contain gold, that flowed from a mountain range down into a valley and then it was dammed half way in between. The dam is closed off until they release water, then they release so much water that it is quite literally a flood. Originally I thought there would just be no gold after the dam, but wouldn't that depend on like a million factors? It almost seems to me like you could just wait for the dam to release water, then go prospecting.

Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think less, dig more.

Look at the backwaters where the river enters the reservoir. Almost any moving gold will drop along with dozens of feet of overburden. It won't travel through and over the spillway.

EF Gold is where it is. That's why we go there. There is private property below. I'm not sure of all the status along there but you'd do best to stick to the open public areas.

You've barely scratched the surface in the area. If you need to wander, head up stream a few miles.

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think less, dig more.

Look at the backwaters where the river enters the reservoir. Almost any moving gold will drop along with dozens of feet of overburden. It won't travel through and over the spillway.

EF Gold is where it is. That's why we go there. There is private property below. I'm not sure of all the status along there but you'd do best to stick to the open public areas.

You've barely scratched the surface in the area. If you need to wander, head up stream a few miles.

Dam it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this doesn't relate to this thread and I don't get to pan for gold but this thread was posted years ago from a guy that would scuba dive below dams. He stated that coins and rings had collected right below the dam and were everywhere. His ultimate goal was to dive below Niagara Falls since people would toss their wedding rings into the falls after a divorce. Can't imagine the turbulence below the dam though...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread