Experienced nugget hunter help please

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please can you tell me what silver coloured metals form nuggets naturally. Chunky nuggets,not just slithers of native metal. Ounce plus nuggets.
Having trouble finding out this info. Only finding silver,palladium/platinum online as silver coloured chunky nuggets. Are there any other silver coloured metals that form chunky nugs?

Thankyou for your time. Very much

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you look up " Malleable Metals " your question will answered, good luck

OP
OP
Nano

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look up " Malleable Metals " your question will answered, good luck

Cheers man. What I was looking for.An "open sesame" type phrase.Thanks

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i found a silver colored "nugget". about the size of the end of my thumb, couldnt tell you what it was, put it in my pocket while out md'ing and never saw it again. it looked water worn, inspected it for signs of being melted by lightning or fire, didnt notice anything obvious. it eats me cuz it could have been a $1500 piece of metal. ill never know. i hope you find your answer

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures are helpful

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please can you tell me what silver coloured metals form nuggets naturally. Chunky nuggets,not just slithers of native metal. Ounce plus nuggets.
Having trouble finding out this info. Only finding silver,palladium/platinum online as silver coloured chunky nuggets. Are there any other silver coloured metals that form chunky nugs?

To rightfully answer your question it would be nice to know how you are finding them. For example, dredging I often find nuggets of Galena. The location of your find has merit to further determine the common minerals of the local; or even man made substances. Malleable Metals are just some of the metallics one finds in the form of nuggets. I find platinum nuggets..... but not 1 oz size. I have even found Pyrite (FeS2) nuggets on occasion dredging. But Galena is my guess.

Bejay

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnetite can also sound pretty sweet on a metal detector. Nice chuncky octaheron crystal shapes in its crystalline form

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

If you are in Southern Oregon or just south in California (this area of the U.S. is most noted but other volcanic areas are possibilities) then Awaruite/Josephinite are possibilities. Check and see if they are highly magnetic and, if so, then check out the two links shown below plus do some more google searches of the two minerals.

http://www.minersoc.org/pages/Archive-MM/Volume_25/25-166-415.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awaruite

If these two leads do not match what you have but they are highly magnetic then it is a possibility they are metallic meteorite fragments that have been been tumbled/rounded and polished by stream action(?).

Good luck.

PS: Edit your profile (left side) so forum members at least know what state you are in and maybe give you more informed answers up front.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some roasted sylvanite and the blebs are silver. If it was roasted more the blebs will turn gold colored. The tellurium burns off at 700 F.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Might they look similar to this ? This one is over an ounce . Finding a lot of it ?

vgd7Bpf.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread