AMRA Highbanking in California LEO run in & claim high grading civil or legal?

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
southern mines area mother load
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this post on amra web site, thought Id bring it over here, im intreagued just in general to the whole highbanking/dredging and how people read between those lines here in the mother load.

What are your thoughts about LEO's and the claim jumping/ high grading situation.

Most people agree its more civil matter for the sheriff but one poster replied with a criminal code, any of you legal guys want to chime in on this, I mean, dont we all have corner signs that say protected under state and feral laws lol?!? Id rather have something besides a citizens arrest when confronting "claim jumpers" when their taking my gold dust haha

Or is this just a recent problem due to all the clubs and people roaming around claims instead of the LEO knowing the owner after a few run ins, now they get gold tweakers in clubs running around digging anything up. I kind like how my DFW or rouge forest ranger is on my side and is gonna check out any wierdos in my area. Will this below penal code come in handy or am I wishfull thinking?

Ca. Penal Code 487 (d)
Every person who feloniously steals, takes, and carries away,
or attempts to take, steal, and carry from any mining claim, tunnel,
sluice, undercurrent, riffle box, or sulfurate machine, another's
gold dust, amalgam, or quicksilver is guilty of grand theft and is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison.

Here is amra post, maybe you guys have some thoughts on this, it was rather good read but with the last fake news Id like to hear someone more well read on the subject. When I dontate to Amra its this stuff that makes me feel like its worth it, but so far this forum is still number one for info......

Alarming actions by California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
A few weeks ago we brought you a story of 8 miners, one a claim owner allowing his buddies to mine with him and of a DFW (CA Department of Fish and Wildlife) officer confiscating their foot valve on their highbanker alleging they were violating the 5653(g) section of the DFW regulations. The miner was told he was being cited, but as of the writing of this story, still has yet to receive any citation, just the confiscation of his equipment and no idea when he can get it back. They were made to hike out of the canyon, one injuring himself just to retrieve their ID's so the DFW agent could identify them. The initial contact by the DFW officer was, as stated by the DFW officer was because he heard there were some people "claim jumping", we'll come back to that in a moment. They were told they had to remove ALL mining equipment from the claim immediately or he was bringing in a helicopter to confiscate the rest of it.
First of all, the 5653 regulation are a copy of SB637, a bill introduced by Senator Ben Allen from Hollywood which requires suction dredgers to obtain a permit from the CA Water Board. Since the passing of this bill over a year and a half ago, the CA Water Board still does not offer any kind of permitting structure. They assured us "they are working on it".
Last night, we received a call from yet another claim owner/miner in Plumas County CA where his highbanking equipment was confiscated just this past Saturday by a DFW Law Enforcement Officer. He was not cited, just had his equipment taken by the DFW agent. Again, the DFW LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) stated they were violating the 5653(g) of the regulation. Here is a text of the addition which was added to 5653:
Defines for the first time by statute what it means to use vacuum or suction dredge equipment, otherwise known as suction dredging, as the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals; but also clarifying the definition does not apply to, prohibit, or otherwise restrict nonmotorized recreational mining activities, including panning for gold.
Suction dredge equipment, suction dredging. The regulation clearly, very clearly targets suction dredges, not highbankers.
We spoke to the LEO personally who confiscated the first miners foot valve and he told us a highbanker "aids"' in the processing of material, so therefore his interpretation of the law is that it is illegal. We asked him specifically where he gets the authority to enforce who mines on someone's mining claim and when did DFW obtain the authority to enforce a civil matter.
Let's go over these individually:
It is not the job of any LEO to "interpret" any laws. Their job is to enforce state law and state regulations as written.
The 5653 regulations very specifically target, name and pertain to "suction dredging" not high banking, panning or driving a truck.
I asked the LEO about a scenario. I told him "sometimes I drive an 87' Toyota pick up and use it to haul my mining equipment and highbanker around. I use this truck to AID me in the processing of material, under your interpretation, are you going to confiscate my truck if I'm driving it with my equipment in the back?". He said "see Shannon, there you go, now you understand how complicated this is".
It is not complicated, nor illegal. The law and regulation states, very, very clearly that it pertains to suction dredging, not panning, highbanking or flying a plane. To compare a highbanker to a suction dredge is like comparing a Prius to a log splitter.
A highbanker does not suck materials from the bed, stream or bank. It is a water pump period. Just like the one on a jet boat or the pump a farmer uses to pump water to his crops. Are they going to go an confiscate every jet boat on Shasta Lake or running on the American River? I think not.
He told me "a judge ruled we could enforce claim jumping" but also stated, when asked who the judge was "I don't recall". First of all, who mines on my claim is purely a civil matter. Meaning....if I own a claim and someone else is mining it, it is NOT the job of DFW, BLM, EPA or USFS to even inquire if they have permission to mine on it, we had this same issue with the USFS and are suing them as a result of this, and them pulling a Taser on a miner when asked for ID. It is my obligation to patrol, police and enforce who mines on my claim. For example, if I caught someone mining my claim without my permission, it is my responsibility to make sure I have marked the claim clearly with corner markers and some form of discovery monument. It is then my responsibility to contact the Sheriff of the county in which the claim is located, provide that Sheriff with my real property mining claim documents showing I am the owner and the person does not have permission to mine it. It is a violation of Federal law to claim jump.
There is a matter of what is known as "probable cause". An LEO or any officer must have probable cause that a crime is being committed, is about to be committed or has been committed. In this case, the LEO's justification for initial contact was "claim jumping" and completely outside their authority. This is alarming.
You may be familiar with the 4th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, something we proudly have on the side of our AMRA truck:
the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be searched.
There are a multitude of cases on probable cause, the primary being Terry v Ohio in 1968.
We met with Tom McClintock's office immediately after the first incident and also reached out to Assemblyman Brian Dahle's office. Dahle's office was very helpful and immediately opened up a dialogue with DFW inquiring as to what authority they had to confiscate equipment from legitimate miners when it does not pertain to the regulation or law. The response from DFW is the same as the LEO, they cite 5653(g) saying it "aids" in the processing of material. At their request, we provided a letter from our attorney specifically outlining what the bill's intent was, that the header on the bill and regulation say "suction dredging" and that the regulation is identical to the bill (SB637). Under both, it clearly states it pertains to "suction dredging" and suction dredging alone.
DFW is ignoring the header on the bill, the regulation and our letter. Now, with this newest confiscation, without any citation they have crossed into a new realm of illegality in our opinion. If I came onto your 30 acre property and told you water pumps were illegal and I'm taking it, here's a receipt for it, what would your response be?
We are demanding a meeting with DFW. This is not just infuriating, it is dangerous, illegal and violates an American citizens civil rights.
We will keep you posted on this very important and alarming case here in California.
Please consider making a donation to AMRA, or joining as a member so we may continue this fight for our very rights.

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as right and wrong anymore, only right for who and wrong for who..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claim jumping is not stealing minerals from a claim. That's called called High-grading.Mineral tresspass. It's pretty hard to claim jump these days. If a claim is located and valid you can't Jump it.

If the ground becomes open because the locator doesn't keep up on paperwork..it goes back to public domain and can be located by someone else.

It seems that in California you would have to get caught stealing a thousand dollars worth of mineral from a claim to reach the "felonious" .

I have video of someone on our claim with a minelab. Video of him in and out several times and pictures of holes dug on the claim and adjacent private land.

The sheriff would only give a warning not to come back.

They said even if they came across him on the ground and searched him, if they had cause...that even if he had gold in his pocket if it wasn't witnessed being removed from the ground, there wasn't much they could do.

Is that totally true I don't know. Considering all the evidence I have you would figure it was pretty straight forward.

A criminal case with evidence and the sheriff pressing the charges would be ideal as it would put a crime on the perps record.

A civil case could work out but, seems like it would take time and money and definitive proof of a monetary loss.

Believe me I wish it was more straight forward because there would be two people returning gold to us and having it on their record.

Instead of just the personal confrontations from me over the matter and the one who's wife had to answer the door to a sheriffs deputy and hear about how her husband doesn't mind sneaking around on the claim of someone he knows.

People sure change their tune when they find out they passed three cameras and can't B.S. the deputy.

That.s the only satisfaction I got was letting them both know that I know and that they are both P.O.S.!!

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... They were made to hike out of the canyon, one injuring himself just to retrieve their ID's so the DFW agent could identify them. ....

"Papers please!", huh? Like Europe. I don't know about Kali, but in most states there would have been greater precedent for the miner getting the state's agent's identification. If the miners would have done that he would know where to get his stuff back- from the person that took it.

The lesson is don't give up nothing for nothing- Always get a receipt.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not mention AMRA to any LEO I was dealing with out in the field. In my humble opinion Shannon has kicked the crap bucket to many times and made it their mission to screw with miners. I deal with BLM Rangers and Game and fish every visit to the claims. They look at my operations and I am as accommodating as I can be. Everyone leaves happy and I get to mine to my hearts content. I don't like a organization that likes to keep the crap bucket stirred to get donations it hurts all of us more than it helps.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not mention AMRA to any LEO I was dealing with out in the field. In my humble opinion Shannon has kicked the crap bucket to many times and made it their mission to screw with miners. I deal with BLM Rangers and Game and fish every visit to the claims. They look at my operations and I am as accommodating as I can be. Everyone leaves happy and I get to mine to my hearts content. I don't like a organization that likes to keep the crap bucket stirred to get donations it hurts all of us more than it helps.

Personally I just wish Shannon and his activist groupies would be clear that he represents his little mining club and not the Miner. He makes miners look pathetic and stupid.. AMRA's post is ridiculous and shameful. Honestly if AMRA wanted to do us a public service they would print their little words of wisdom on some toilet paper..

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well good for you! You're still able to mine your claims... Are you producing good wages?
Here in California, I was pulling in an average wage of $300 a day in 2009 before the state stepped in and forced me into retirement by making it illegal to dredge here... Here we are 8 years later and we still can't mine our claims, and the fight has been on the whole time. Go ahead and sit quietly in Oklahoma, enjoy the gold that you're working for with minimal regulations. How much of an impact are you making on the economy? How much money are you making off of your mining? Some of us make a living off of our hard work in mining and many of our small gold mining towns have taken a huge hit to their pocketbooks because of over regulation. If you have oil wells in Oklahoma or coal mines, then you'll understand what I'm saying. If you don't fight back when people are taking your rights, you can't succeed. AMRA is doing what they do because they don't just take a back seat and do nothing... I was forced into retirement 8 years ago and I still live completely off of my mining income that I once had... The fact that I can't mine some of my claims in a way that can make me a profit, is why AMRA and a couple other organizations are fighting for me and all of us that have lost our ability to make a decent wage for our families to live off of by over regulation.

OP
OP
Garrote Gold

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's been 8 years, what has amra accomplished in those 8 years? They have nice web site but they have not brought dredging back, really can you name one bill or code that they are responsible for fixing?
That's a big 0
With all the donations too it's still 0, they have nothing to show for it.
If anything it's worse now we can't high bank, so let's be realistic in the perceived effect amra has achieved. Big bark but no bite
But please keep sending your hard earned retirement pay and we will fight for your right to write off your tax deductable donation haha
You can still mine, just don't be so pissy thinking only you were affected.
I'm sure there were people *****ing like you when they outlawed hydromining, they took away those wages from real miners too, no one cares about them either.

Last edited:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I just wish Shannon and his activist groupies would be clear that he represents his little mining club and not the Miner. He makes miners look pathetic and stupid.. AMRA's post is ridiculous and shameful. Honestly if AMRA wanted to do us a public service they would print their little words of wisdom on some toilet paper..
So where is the thumbs down button when I need it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's been 8 years, what has amra accomplished in those 8 years? They have nice web site but they have not brought dredging back, really can you name one bill or code that they are responsible for fixing?
That's a big 0
With all the donations too it's still 0, they have nothing to show for it.
If anything it's worse now we can't high bank, so let's be realistic in the perceived effect amra has achieved. Big bark but no bite
But please keep sending your hard earned retirement pay and we will fight for your right to write off your tax deductable donation haha
Can you name any other groups that have brought back dredging or any other groups that have passed laws and codes that will fix the problem?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it wasn't for AMRA organizing the push back and participation in public input to the SWRCB. They would have already put a no dredging program in place.

if anyone things that leaving it up to the legislature means they will act fairly and with regard to the stakeholders they are ignorant.

If we didn't show up and Have the organization that AMRA has taken the lead on we wouldn't be sitting here waiting for the next round of public workshops. Our participation is the reason their feet are being held to the fire.

The words of those who don't even get up and stand with us are so very empty. Especially people who change names and pretend to be other people..really really weird.

Some people would complain if you didn't hang them with a new rope!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted due to politics, please keep political comments out of forum posts, political comments only allowed in our politics forum.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you name any other groups that have brought back dredging or any other groups that have passed laws and codes that will fix the problem?

if it wasn't for AMRA organizing the push back and participation in public input to the SWRCB. They would have already put a no dredging program in place.

if anyone things that leaving it up to the legislature means they will act fairly and with regard to the stakeholders they are ignorant.

If we didn't show up and Have the organization that AMRA has taken the lead on we wouldn't be sitting here waiting for the next round of public workshops. Our participation is the reason their feet are being held to the fire.

The words of those who don't even get up and stand with us are so very empty. Especially people who change names and pretend to be other people..really really weird.

Exactly :)
And just because you don't do jack... Garrot Gold, doesn't mean you don't have a right to post on this thread. Even freeloaders hanging from that nipple are welcome here just like you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrote Gold

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No group will have an effect pro mining- get that through your head and stop dreaming that amra makes a difference, show me something tangeble

OP
OP
Garrote Gold

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sorry but my letter to the water board has as much weight as amra. You think that just because amra sent a letter that it has more effect than mine? There is no proof to your comments, but it is wishful thinking and I don't want you to get depressed more than you are. Easy picker, my letter was way better than your empty bable you had months to prepare for Sac meeting. Get your head out of your cloud and say something coherant and on topic instead of fishing license nonsense. Thanks for that, really well said on behalf of the small miners.

Last edited:

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garrote Gold you need to be more respectful of your fellow miners on here.

An observation.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it's small little mining groups that are ruining small scale prospecting.

Wilderness.net - Wilderness Areas in California

California State Wildernesses

This lecture will help you understand: - ppt download

Land, Public and Private - ppt download

http://slideplayer.com/slide/8640965/26/images/9/Human+Land+Use+Affects+the+Environment.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...254/t/575c1a2a1bbee0391f67582f/1440885577304/

California creeks and rivers threatened by possible lift on suction dredging ban - CSERC

Wilderness.net - What is Wilderness?

Senator Boxer

Center for Biological Diversity

Federal lands can't really grow. The wilderness areas can. It makes poloticians and evirogroups millions every year.

It gives people who live in little boxes a way to feel better and gives them a place to pay and go visit ans see nature.

It is not prospectors or the people running the miners rights groups who are making money and trying to shut people out and change a way of life for thousands of people.

It's Money and agenda...with a spin of reparation and preservation thrown in to play on peoples emotion.

If no one fights for it one day it will be something that we can only talk about.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at what a jokefesst B.S narrative standing Rock was.

The Tribe was all about it when they wer gonna get paid. They asked for a stupid amount were told no..

and man if they didn't get all kinds of activated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread