Refining placer gold

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did a search on the forums, but I didn't find the answer to this specific topic (re: placer gold) so I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone refine their own place or gold at home? If so how do you go about doing it? I have done a lot of research on this over the last few months but it had trouble finding a clear step-by-step instruction manual. I understand that it is potential he dangerous especially When dealing with acids. Smelting the placer gold seems like he potential he easier process without messing with acids, but the gold won't be quite as pure. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, placer gold in it's natural state, be in gold dust or nugget form is more valuable and easier to sell than a hunk of melted gold purported to be refined.
I wonder why you would want to do this? Hobby?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, placer gold in it's natural state, be in gold dust or nugget form is more valuable and easier to sell than a hunk of melted gold purported to be refined.

That's only if you are selling smaller amounts to collectors and such rather than to actual refiners ( David fell Co, AAA etc) then it is at spot minus fees and non gold. You usually don't get the other PMs unless you really have a lot.

It is easier to transport gold in a miners dory than a little glass vial of fines . You get a better idea of what you are actually going to get paid as you have better purity.

If you have more than a little gold it is better, and easier, to sell to a refiner. If you are going to sell placer to a guy on the river it is usually 70% to 80% of spot for the fines and bigger pieces to go E Bay (3% to E Bay, 3% to Pay Pal and you can only pull out $500/ month to avoid the 1099). With a gold refiner, (if there is no small amount fee) then it's about a $50 essay fee, 3% service fee and then 100% of spot for the gold only... but you do get a 1099

ratled

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's only if you are selling smaller amounts to collectors and such rather than to actual refiners ( David fell Co, AAA etc) then it is at spot minus fees and non gold. You usually don't get the other PMs unless you really have a lot.

It is easier to transport gold in a miners dory than a little glass vial of fines . You get a better idea of what you are actually going to get paid as you have better purity.

If you have more than a little gold it is better, and easier, to sell to a refiner. If you are going to sell placer to a guy on the river it is usually 70% to 80% of spot for the fines and bigger pieces to go E Bay (3% to E Bay, 3% to Pay Pal and you can only pull out $500/ month to avoid the 1099). With a gold refiner, (if there is no small amount fee) then it's about a $50 essay fee, 3% service fee and then 100% of spot for the gold only... but you do get a 1099

ratled

Wish I had the problem of having to sell gold commercially to a refiner.
"More than a little gold" is a relative term.
I'm assuming several pounds would be "more than a little gold"?

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add this for the OP Here is a cheap way to smelt gold. To actually refine it is more than what I want to get into. This will get you close and make a real nice dory.

Digger usually it's about 10 to 12 ozt. This is the area the guy on the river makes his $$$$. Buys from you at 75%'ish of spot but sells for 100% to the refiner. He just has to get enough to cover the fees..... plus he can add his gold in and get 100%

ratled

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I avoid the "guy on the river", as well as the "we pay cash for gold" people.

I have a small amount of crushed gold that I smelted down into a little loaf shaped piece of gold.
It's neat to have a clean single piece of gold rather than ugly crushed gold, but I wouldn't melt any placer gold unless I was really in a bind.

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I keep pickers and nuggets in display cases. Fine gold, meh... I want to make it into a small ingot =) I'm not selling any of it, so its all just for fun. I'm trying to learn a little bit about all aspects of prospecting/mining. I'll probably do the smelting in the winter when I'm bored and can't get out to the claims. Thanks for everyone's advice!

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I keep pickers and nuggets in display cases. Fine gold, meh... I want to make it into a small ingot =) I'm not selling any of it, so its all just for fun. I'm trying to learn a little bit about all aspects of prospecting/mining. I'll probably do the smelting in the winter when I'm bored and can't get out to the claims. Thanks for everyone's advice!

I wish I had that problem :laughing9:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a big difference between refining gold and melting gold to make ingots.

Pour all the ingots you want. Just don't try to pass it off as refined gold. An ingot still needs to be refined, assayed and marked by a refiner on the good delivery list before it can be sold into the market at full value.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread