Seeking Mineral reports for San Gabriel wilderness area. Exchange

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking for any USGS, division of mines, dept of interior, ect reports for the San Gabriel East fork, and surrounding areas of Angles National Forrest, San Bernardo. Anyone have advice for locating these types of reports online for specific areas. Locating the mining districts which these reports are based on is proving difficult for me. Whats the best way to go about locating the mining districts for a given area online? Anyone know of a mining district map that lays them all out side by side showing boundaries?

I figure if there is anyone else interested in reading these or has collected some we start sharing them on the thread.

Ill go first, Here is one I found regarding the cucamonga roadless area which is part of what we may consider the Lytle Creek area. East side of the Angeles National forest, San Bernardino.
MINERAL RESOURCE POTENTIAL OF THE CUCAMONGA ROADLESS AREAS,
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA
https://pubs.usgs.gov/mf/1983/1646a/report.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the Wilderness areas had mineral reports done before the wilderness status became effective. Under the Wilderness Act there have to be regular mineral reports done after the Wilderness is created. So yeah there is a mineral report for every wilderness.

Go to the Land Matters Library and type "Wilderness Mineral Potential" into the search box. You will be presented with a two volume set (more than 1,000 pages) with mineral reports on many of the wilderness areas. I'm pretty sure you will find what you are looking for in there. :thumbsup:

The Land Matters Library grows weekly. There is a lot of good information in there. It's usually a good idea to look there first when you are searching for this type of research material. Unlike google search you won't be presented with 500,000 choices that include mostly stuff you aren't looking for.

Heavy Pans

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a college students thesis paper, it seems like he mapped out all the dyke swarms, maybe this is useful it seems to have modern Geo maps too: https://www.cpp.edu/~sci/geological-sciences/docs/ms-thesis-archive/JonMarshakFinalThesis.pdf

Did you look at the bibliography of the original paper you posted? It probably has other papers about the area referenced, the paper I linked probably has a bibliography or reference papers listed too. You can also search the govt Geo map interface site and just zoom on area of interest and some of those maps will have corresponding papers if you click through to the source of the map.

OP
OP
arthos

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the Tip Clay, I did attempt to use Land Matters but I was going about it the wrong way. I was looking for them by finding my area of interest on the claim maps, then looking for associated reports in the Identify button results.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
arthos

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for that link Alex, I will check it out. Yes I have noticed the references to the names of surrounding districts in the report(s) and was using that to search google for associated reports, its a round about way to piece an area together but it has got me some results.

OP
OP
arthos

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On a side note is it considered bad form to post these reports and summaries of findings on the forum? I ask because I don't see anyone else doing it. The reports often do put X on the maps with gold concentrations listed, historical claims sample reports ect. Does this kind of thing rub people the wrong way, or am I off base on my impression.

OP
OP
arthos

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the specific doc i was hoping to find in case the next guy is interested in the 115 page report to consume.

Mineral resources of the Sheep Mountain Wilderness study area and the Cucamonga Wilderness and additions, Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties, California
Open-File Report 77-251
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/ofr77251

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On a side note is it considered bad form to post these reports and summaries of findings on the forum? I ask because I don't see anyone else doing it. The reports often do put X on the maps with gold concentrations listed, historical claims sample reports ect. Does this kind of thing rub people the wrong way, or am I off base on my impression.

No it's fine they are usually funded by our tax dollars anyway. They seem like they are amazing sometimes and that they have an x marks the spot which they sometimes do, but generally these are just assessments of areas conducive to being mineralized, so they should be taken with a healthy grain of salt. The way they are written sometimes I get the sense the author wanted the area to be saved from closure and was more generous in the assessment or sometimes the more modern ones are in the other direction of that makes any sense.

A lot of the anomalies they found are xrf gun or a sediment sample skewed by nugget effect before they understood that issue well, so I'd put more stock in actual mining reports you can find of the area but I'm sure the assessments could be helpful sometimes.

As for the last part I don't think it rubs anyone the wrong way or people care, people have different ways they go about prospecting and some people aren't interested so much in geology or history and just want to put a shovel in the ground, other people get way into it and enjoy reading the geology etc. The people on this forum really understand gold geology and have answered questions I've had before, so don't be shy or afraid to ask there are plenty of people interested in that aspect of prospecting.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
arthos

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or you could just go to the Land Matters Geology Maps, click on your area of interest using the tool, and get a direct download link to all the geology maps available for the area around your click point. Easy Peasy all in one place.

Dozens of maps and reports about your area of interest with just one click. More than 100,000 maps available. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
arthos

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or you could just go to the Land Matters Geology Maps, click on your area of interest using the tool, and get a direct download link to all the geology maps available for the area around your click point. Easy Peasy all in one place.

Dozens of maps and reports about your area of interest with just one click. More than 100,000 maps available. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

An amazingly valuable resource to be sure!
However not what I'm currently searching for. For example right now I'm looking at a report which contains almost 300 rock, mine, and creek samples for a specific area, practically every major water way sampled and measured for gold content along with other minerals. All mines sampled, maps of the diggings, history of the claims, so much good stuff. It even has gold locations plotted on a topo map which contain higher concentrations of gold! How can it get any better?!

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An amazingly valuable resource to be sure!
However not what I'm currently searching for. For example right now I'm looking at a report which contains almost 300 rock, mine, and creek samples for a specific area, practically every major water way sampled and measured for gold content along with other minerals. All mines sampled, maps of the diggings, history of the claims, so much good stuff. It even has gold locations plotted on a topo map which contain higher concentrations of gold! How can it get any better?!

So uhhh where could one hypothetically find this report...you know...for science?

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the Wilderness areas had mineral reports done before the wilderness status became effective. Under the Wilderness Act there have to be regular mineral reports done after the Wilderness is created. So yeah there is a mineral report for every wilderness.

Go to the Land Matters Library and type "Wilderness Mineral Potential" into the search box. You will be presented with a two volume set (more than 1,000 pages) with mineral reports on many of the wilderness areas. I'm pretty sure you will find what you are looking for in there. :thumbsup:

The Land Matters Library grows weekly. There is a lot of good information in there. It's usually a good idea to look there first when you are searching for this type of research material. Unlike google search you won't be presented with 500,000 choices that include mostly stuff you aren't looking for.

Heavy Pans

I was going to recommend the very same thing. I love that site.
Land Matters Maps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions