Headed up to Yankee Jim's soon

RudeBoyPanning

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2016
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It will be my first time out panning this year and I'm going to be bringing my dad for the first time to YJ. Really looking forward to spending the day out there. Any rule changes I need to know about before heading out? I'm always asking, but they always seem to be changing. I would like to bring my sluice and some shovels, and last year it seemed like that was ok. IS it this year? Is the road passable in a crossover SUV? Anyone want to recommend a decent spot along there or somewhere near?

Thanks all, and having this board is great. Thanks to Goldenmojo for always helping me out through PM as well!

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I THINK I have a FOOTPRINT of the area. I'll check. If in there, you need to go to BunksArizonaProspecting to get one for only $80. Even if not in the FP, it will give you other FANTASTIC areas to pan/sluice. ╦╦Ç

Edit: Nope. YJ's is on the North Fork of the American. I have the Middle Fork. I will soon get the North Fork.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RudeBoyPanning

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2016
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for checking. I just looked up what a footprint is and I'm still a bit confused. It shows you where people are finding gold? Or where its ok to pan? Thanks

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RudeBoy. The hands/pans went into effect so if you are openly carrying tools at YJ you could possibly get hassled. Everything got covered in 1-2' of sterile sand but the water is down. I would opt to go to the Bear River day use area. There is no charge, you can drive right to it, u can sluice, no hassles by the man, 300' walk to the gold and you will get more color that what you will get at YJ. Go to the large day use parking lot on Plum tree road in colfax. Take the easy path 300-500' upstream and go to the cobble bar. From 1/2 way to the end of the bar it is torn up but it is sloppy. Everyone thinks it is worked out but Look for patches of cobble laying flat and untouched or large areas of sluice wash covering untouched ground. These areas have an orange layers directly under the first layer of cobble that is a foot deep and the best color is there. Under that is either a brown layer that has less gold but better chance of pickers or a muck gray clay. Where the gray muck is the orange on top is gravel filled muck. Scrape the orange off or bring a screen or piece of expanded metal and dig a scoop of two colored and turn it upside down and scrape the orange across the grate down to the worthless gray clay then toss it. Sample for the best spots but with a little work you will get good color. PM me if you need any other info.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_4913 - Copy.JPG

Last trip to the cobble bar.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for checking. I just looked up what a footprint is and I'm still a bit confused. It shows you where people are finding gold? Or where its ok to pan? Thanks

Go to bunksarizonaprospecting to get an eyeball on what is offered. You can even call him directly for "hands on" advice, but he is very busy. The Footprint is made for miners by miners. I would not be alone in saying it is the BEST place to get the scoop on an area. Goldenmojo (et al) are also local experts. ╦╦Ç

b-a-r

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2017
Belgrade, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab Bold Monster 1000. Whites TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FYI: the road down from the Forest Hill side is a longer drive but much nicer.. more turnouts and wider, less traffic.. water is low and warm on Shirt Tail Creek.

b-a-r

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2017
Belgrade, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab Bold Monster 1000. Whites TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Notice any difference in the color on shirt tail following the big winter?

Not really.. been doing some relic detecting .. there's a lot of sluff from the road hillside and a ton of poison oak... some food gold.. Chinese really worked this creek hard back in the day so... :/

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the area above Y.J. bridge is BLM surrounded by BOR land...shirttail creek is BOR and private....BOR south of the bridge and the BLM has 180 acres under claim.

Make sure you know where you are putting your feet... most the gold in the ground in that area belongs to others.

The blm land is from the bridge up stream for a bit more than half a mile...the next open blm land is about a mile up from the bridge..

Know before you go

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions