New York State Alluvial

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New York is generally known for far and few deposits... alluvial or otherwise of noble metals. Except the few dragged down from Canada during the ice/glacial ages. I've come to the conclusion that a four inch suction dredge is too ineffective or efficient to suck the stuff out of what appears to be deep crevices. However, I saw the article on blow mining and the only modification that I would do, is use a high pressure gas powered pressure washer, instead of the somewhat moderately wimpy pump used in the demo. I would think that a two inch log and hoses would save tremendous weight and make it easier to pack. Blow the material from the crevice into the suction intake, deliver to the sluice... then hope that the ice age delivered the right material.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Just another out of the box idea.

Noteworthy - New York has absolutely no restrictions on our activities. Probably because it lacks easily retrieved gold.

Upvote 0

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey ncclaymaker. Good luck with your endeavors. I think your theory about blowing the material out makes sense, just be aware that it won't blow in a nice organized way but instead will blast all over the place.

As for your comment "...New York has absolutely no restrictions on our activities..." it was always my understanding that New York was the one weird state where any minerals recovered belonged to the state, and you couldn't keep them (in theory and in strict accordance with the "law.") I've never researched this; instead it was just something I picked up on by reading these forums. If you've researched and know that what you stated is fact (no restrictions), then have fun. Otherwise, you may want to research whether you can actually prospect in any way in NY and keep any gold you find. (though it's totally unclear how you would present your findings to the state... would you walk into Albany's offices with a vial? LOL).

- Brian

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of wasting money on expensive equipment, why not vacation in a place where you actually have a chance at prospecting some weight, like Arizona, Cali, Idaho, Alaska?

Don't waste your time and money for a few colors - makes no sense! Just buy gold bullion - it will be cheaper in the end. :skullflag:

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ran a quick check with the MRDS site for silver mines in NY state. There are only 19 of them, along with more lead mines and hematite deposits. Associative minerals. I'll be checking areas by magnet fishing to locate and extract black sand and pan the material out. I've got a "small" 12v electromagnet that can lift 150 lbs. in the air... lots more in the water.

Who in their right mind would wander into a NY state office and hand the gerbils a poke of gold. Weird state, high taxes, great weather... except in the winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread