Online Concentrates / Testing New Equipment

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,

I've been building a new Highbanker this summer, and I ready for testing (I got a little carried away and built a cleanup sluice too)!!! I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction? I want to find a decent volume of paydirt to process in the machine to test its performance. I live in an area where there may be a small amount of flour gold, but I want to be sure this beast is catching EVERYTHING! I don't usually order dirt online, so I'm not sure who is the most reliable. Is there a trusted company to order from? How much would you suggest to break this thing in? Are there specific test I should perform besides just turning the water on? And other than just running dirt, do you recommend I do anything else to test it or "season" it before our first adventure into the unknown?

I appreciate your feedback!

Z

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cut up some lead, test top and bottom separate, seeing how local river run material acts in the box will
allow you to adjust the flow, feed rate and angle to work best, just putting in a few LB's of paydirt will not tell you much.
if you want to test with different size placer gold buy a known quantity off ebay, might also pick up a set of scales that goes to thousandths.

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cut up some lead, test top and bottom separate, seeing how local river run material acts in the box will
allow you to adjust the flow, feed rate and angle to work best, just putting in a few LB's of paydirt will not tell you much.
if you want to test with different size placer gold buy a known quantity off ebay, might also pick up a set of scales that goes to thousandths.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd buy a gram of flour gold online and mix into a bag of home depot general purpose sand, you could even throw in some 2" minus round landscaping rock. About as close to real life as I can think of and you'll know how much gold you have paid for, and you can use it over and over testing new toys.
Gold is much more fun to look at than lead although much more expensive :tongue3:

OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone!

I have about a 1/4 oz. of variously sized gold, I was hoping not to have to do another cleanup with the stuff. I already spent too much time recovering it all. Maybe that's just perspective though. Once I've found the mother load, playing with the stuff won't seem so high risk! lol. I have 2 sluices which my children name for me. I have "The Ocean Blower" and "Bunny Eggs", just thought I'd share!

Thanks again!

Z

OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you think of the riffle design? 1/8 inch aluminum 3/4" tall set with a -15 degree angle and a and a 90 degree at 1/3".
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too steep for my taste.

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may want to consider taking out your riffles and replacing them with Gold Hog mats. If you describe your setup and operation, they will suggest the right mat combination for you. The Gold Hog mats really do work well for DIY highbanker setups. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the color you find!

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These "clarkson" type riffles need to be spaced properly to work well based on the riffle size. They operate poorly as individual riffles like in your pic. They need the interaction between the riffle and the leading edge of the following riffle to create a strong vortex. Once dialed in they can work very well.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some articles & studys (Link removed for rule violation non supporting vendor)
if you go to their parts page they show the size of riffles by vertical and lip
and gold hog riffle study Riffle Study - Sluice Science

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm all ears! What would you recommend? I have them spaced just under 5" apart. I'm not as wise as many of you are at this, so any advice is encouraged. Should I perhaps place a 1/2 inch riffle in between set at 0 degrees or vertical? Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Z

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are just way too big for that size sluice..

The best way to set up "positive" riffles in a sluice is to have them about the size of the average largest material you will be running.

That way if your classifying to 1/2 inch you will have about 1/2 inch riffles.You will be able to run faster and flat when you have a lot of water and will be able to classify or not.

Once your riffles are bigger than the majority of the material you are running you start to get build up and will have issues with any flow less than what you need to get material to run through the box.

You want your spacing about 2.5 times your riffle height.

The best bet, is always low profile recovery with "negative" riffles or traps. Expanded metal over moss or carpet, Gold hog or drop riffles. Take care of a lot of the issues "positive" riffles cause in stream sluices.

The Clarkson studies are interesting and informative thought he tests and info are based on large sluices running A LOT of material.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what you end up doing (I agree with Goldwasher), I would suggest less substantial welds so you can easily modify it as it gets real world use.

You should be able to run any kind of river gravel through it to determine how well your design is working.
There are heavy minerals other than gold that will get trapped. You can also throw some lead shot in there to see where it gets trapped.

Wait until you really like how it's works before building it sturdy.

I would suggest a couple riffles at the head, then expanded steel over miners moss. Hard to go wrong with that once you figure out the right size/style riffle and gauge size for the expanded steel.

I have found that under lower water flow conditions, gold will catch at the front of riffles rather than behind them and there is nothing wrong with that as long as it gets caught.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need much

Attachments

• 1503675393913.jpg
    1503675393913.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1503675404040.jpg
    1503675404040.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1503675424632.jpg
    1503675424632.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 82

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In actual use the "clarkson" style riffles function much like deep drop riffles with a strong vortex pulling water/material down from the slurry. They need fast water flow to get the energy for this action and are good for a highbanker but not a steam sluice. Greywolfminer on youtube has some videos of them in action. They are not the best at getting flour gold which is better suited to lower water depth and smaller riffles. Goldhog has certainly taken riffle design to a new level and have many products suited specifically for a highbanker to capture a variety of gold sizes.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to put a lot of work into a unit I'd spend the time to watch this video.
It's a longer one... but one that might help understand what the others are talking about and their concerns.
Constantly "throwing" fine gold back UP that is trying to settle cause most losses and what we cure in many commercial ops.
Doc

OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a pic of the nearly finished cleanup sluice. Let me know your thoughts!
IMG_0968.JPG
I'll get the plumbing finished and post the setup soon.

Z

OP
OP
Zaroc

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The feedback was awesome! I listened, I made a highbanker, lol! I’m not sure if that’s what you were really telling me, but now I need to test this thing out. What do you all think?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521995989.638745.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521996011.384702.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521996026.424600.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Work! I would appreciate an explanation of what we see in the highbanker cleaning box. Thank you...............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread