The red dirt ground is lowering and above it riseing??? "happening by a mine"

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Makro*JeoHunter*3D Dual System. Some others still updateing.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red dirt ground is lowering and above it riseing??? "happening by a mine"

I really have no idea how to describe my title with out a vary long title, I also dont know where to post and ask about this and I thought this place would be a good place, now I live by a tunnel mine that Im pretty sure goes down in the ground and then straighten outs, now its not even far from the mine and its just across the road where this is happening, now my dad has disked his yard for 27 to 30 years and everywhere else looks the same sence I was young, but this one spot... its sinking? And above that sink the ground is riseing??? Do you think that the mine might go under the road into my yard and is now slowly caveing in on its self? But if it was why would the ground be riseing?:dontknow: also the entrence to the mine is barried beacuse it was deemed unsafe by my nabors sadly. Its almost morning so I will have some photos to look at and a video soon when the sun is up. Thanks in adv!

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good guess and perplexing to say the least. The buildings/streets in the town of Dayton Nevada started falling down into old tunnels back in the 80s. The rising is weird though? Could be a old capped airshaft that was capped and lid going sideways. Crazy situation for sure.John

OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i can picture that happening, I could always dig in the sinking spot or the spot that is riseing? Water also likes to sit in that new low spot for a while, this started happening 3 years ago, heres a video, its not the best video... I think my phone takes better videos, let me know if you want to see it from my phone beacuse it has a better camera.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would consider anything that has happened within the time frame that could possibly cause the sinking and rising (heavy rain, flooding, construction, demolition, earthquakes or tremors, gas smell, etc., etc.). It is possible that with heavier rains and/or flooding at some point in time, an underground stream may have broken though into the old mine shafts causing collapse of lesser supported shafts and as the grounds above sink (collapse), this forces water into the underlying bedrock layers where there are no mine shafts, causing swelling and thus the ground in these areas are rising. Depending where this is at, it would be best to get some Engineers (City or County) as well as some Geologists and possibly some Hydrologists out there to see what is happening.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I think its takeing in water beacuse my neighbor said the spot where the hole was collects water but drains fast, now with the cali drought and then the heavy rain this is when i noticed it started to happen, also my friend said he has noticed that it is sinking more and riseing more, and I noticed the same, its happening slow though, now normally how far under the ground do you think this tunnel would be? Do miners have some tunnels deep under ground or just above the ground? I also have Makro*New*JeoHunter*3D Dual System and im hopeing it will detect a void or something, my other normal metal detectors do nothing, This is just so interesting! Well I would get a geologist but my dad would not be comfortable with that, so its going to be left till something happens =p I also smell no gas, I always had a feeling the mine tunnel went under into my yard, also my yard is 5 acres and just about in the middle of my yard I have trees planted and theses trees grew abormally fast! My dad said there is a good water source under where the trees are, now I dont know how far they went into the ground but maybe that under ground cave filled with water could also be linked to the mine? Im not rich sadly so Im not able to buy crazy deep 3d scanner map outout devices, all post a new video with some photos from my phone in the morning =) it hopefully will show a better lower and rise.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure about your' metal detector and most newer digital metal detectors but some old analog VLF metal detectors will detect a void or voids in the ground but it depends how deep the voids are. I had a White's 2000-D back in the late 1970's to mid 1980's that would detect voids in the ground. With the threshold up where you have a slight but audible signal, the sound (signal) will make a somewhat louder and distinct "Vooop" sound and the sound (signal) go completely out (null) when the coil passes over a void. When the coil passes completely over the void to solid ground again, the signal will again make a "Vooop" sound and the audible threshold signal will be back. This can also happen when the coil passes over degraded Iron.

Do you own the property where most if not all of sinking and rising is occurring? If not, then you need to contact the owner or owners and get something done before part of your' property and maybe even some neighbor's properties collapses or worse, falls into a sinkhole. Once an assessment is made by a Geologist and possibly a Hydrologist along with City or County Engineers, a plan of action can then be taken. If an extension of an underground stream has been created through the mine shafts due to flooding, heavy rains and the collapsing of the mine shafts, the problem could be harder to remedy. If it is determined that there is no underground stream and this is only happening due to water flowing into and through the mine shafts during flooding or heavy rain events, then they may have an Excavator open up the ground and in essence create a pond to alleviate the swelling and further collapse of the mine shafts. They will likely surveil the pond and the water levels in it to determine what is the next step of action to take towards alleviating the problem altogether. They could opt to pump concrete into the mine shafts or fill them as best as possible with large and medium sized rocks and hope that one of the actions works.

On another note, if the mine shafts were dug for Gold, try to get access to any and all material excavated from the property because it could have decent amounts of Gold in it.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I owned the property Id call someone out, the thing is my dad and mom owns it and I know my dad =p he woud not want some random people diging holes on his property and doing resurch, and yes where it is happening my dad owns the property, all make a more clear video of where the mine is located and where its happening, also! About 100 feet away? Or more I noticed there is a big qaurts deposit on near my driveway in my yard, now I have read on another forum that sometimes where gold is struck in qaurts not to far off there will be another deposit, a lot of the rocks are crushed though? But me and my brother when we where younger started diging in that spot and the qaurtz started to not be crush, what do you guys think? All ask my nabor as well who has lived here longer then me to shed light on the mine beacuse he has seen it far before the entrince was caved in, also sorry for my spelling im not the best. Also my dad said we will just see what happens with the slowering and riseing XD All always keep this forum updated with whats going on has time goes on, im sure this is interesting for you all to. Also forgot to add the metal detector I use that also says it can void detect, "Makro Jeohunter 3d Dual System Metaldetector" if you want to look into it, im still learning on how to use it my self.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better video =p still not really able to see the lower and rise, but from everything I have heard from people on here id say its a colapse and a air pocket poping up.

https://youtu.be/C6L-xVEDucA

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Better video =p still not really able to see the lower and rise, but from everything I have heard from people on here id say its a colapse and a air pocket poping up.

https://youtu.be/C6L-xVEDucA

Do any Insurance Companies in California offer Mine Subsidence Insurance? One would think that they would and that the State of California and/or the Federal Government would have mandated that they offer it to property owners considering the amount of underground Gold and Gem Mines in California that were active or are still active. I hate to say it but you, your parents and neighbors may need it to protection from loss in case the mine shafts, grounds and any buildings/structures there totally collapse. If Mine Subsidence Insurance is not available, the latter happens and if the Mine Shafts are on property owned by your parents and any collapses effect any of their neighbors, then it is quite possible that your parents could be held liable for any damages. I don't really want to put fear into you or your parents but the property with the mine shafts could be a ticking time bomb that could go off at any time during a heavy rain or flooding event.

Frank

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The California mother lode is plagued by an excess of abandoned tunnels and shafts. A housing development in Placerville found that out years ago when they cut the roads and pads for a new development and then experienced a delay where everything was put on hold for a couple of years. When they got back there were caved in tunnels and water filled sink holes littered across the site. An extensive amount of drilling was done and the final map showed that the whole subdivision was Swiss cheese. They had to remove all the dirt from the site down to 80' depth in some areas and then refill and compact. The cost was in the millions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread