gold panning in red dirt? also what type of rocks are theses?

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Makro*JeoHunter*3D Dual System. Some others still updateing.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I live by a mine, this mine is on my nabors yard though and caved in beacuse of its not safe? :BangHead::dontknow: anyway this also has a trash bit about id say 100 yards away not to far from the hole mine, now on there property this dirt is not vary red.. its like conpletely tan? Lots of courts in this one spot and mounds as well from them diging, now In my yard Im working on diging a deep hole and im hiting courts rocks left and right! And this red dirt is hard to dig, and when its wet its like clay mud, now my question is why is there dirt tan/heavy clay and my dirt just red? And is this good dirt to gold pan in? I just have the turbo pan,* I will also have a video of a the two dirts compared, Its night time right now and All have to have a night time photo/video but hopefully somone can explain beacuse im just a rookie and im trying to learn. Also what type of rocks are theses? I know most are quartz rock and the more white quartz I found near the mine, now is that a Iron streak in the quartz? And then the black bubbly rocks? Also the quartz with that black crystal? I have some with green as well. What types are theses? Also that black rock is vary magnetic. 20170827_184252.jpg 20170827_184252.jpg 20170827_184330.jpg 20170827_184359.jpg 20170827_185345.jpg 20170827_185318.jpg 20170827_185237.jpg 20170827_185225.jpg 20170827_185127.jpg 20170827_185117.jpg 20170827_185108.jpg 20170827_185039.jpg 20170827_184957.jpg 20170827_184732.jpg 20170827_184653.jpg 20170827_184359.jpg 20170827_185429.jpg 20170827_183511.jpg 20170827_184116.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. The lines in the rocks are complex sulphides, the greyish could easily be a streak of silver. Your best bet will be to get a rock crusher, crush the rocks and then pan them. Free gold will be easily visible. Rock crushers you work by hand are about $40. It will take awhile, but cheap and easy. Most of the gold will be hidden inside the rocks. Use a metal detector to find gold bearing quartz in the dumps.

OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info =) do you know what the black rocks would be? And would gold panning in red dirt be good? Also by the mine the dirt changes to a tan color?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info =) do you know what the black rocks would be? And would gold panning in red dirt be good? Also by the mine the dirt changes to a tan color?

I think the black rocks are hematite. Red dirt can be good it is called ultramafic and guys find good gold in that dirt in some areas like Butte county off the top of my head. Not much can grow in that dirt because it's highly mineralized so often it's seen growing manzanita and tougher plants that can handle the dirt. The Quartz is probably worth crushing as others mentioned.

As far as the sinking land in other thread it's hard to say maybe the mine was flooded and it drained recently or maybe there was a natural underground stream that dried up and the earth sank. Good luck.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The difference in the color of the dirt on your' property and on your neighbor's property is likely from material from deep in the mine. The miners likely hit some different colored alluvial clay layers below the surface (such as brown, gray, white and possibly even blue) and when brought to the surface and spread over the ground as burden, the eventual mixing changed the overall color of the dirt on your neighbors property.

Frank

OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! =) your all a big help! Where are you both from? I live near ponderosa high school, im geussing your pretty local as well, all I have right now to gold pan the red dirt is the turbo pan, is that good for What im doing? I think for sure a big slush would be better, but im slowly geting more items to work with. I thought that would be hematite, also I thought maybe a metorite from the bubbles on it, I also have this one spot I got to where I find theses dark green rocks with quartz vains in it and sometimes green crystals? All post a photo so you can see what im talking about, Instead of photos I just recorded it, there is slate? With quartz in it or something, and some rock that has square white patches, then the green rock, now to me this green rock is rare, I actually left the green rocks with the quartz at the site, but I do have some green rock samples and one does have quartz in it with out a streak, also theses green rocks have green crystals? "Sometimes" anyway enjoy and hopefully who ever see's this its teaching them as well =)

https://youtu.be/urPASY0zBSY

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy. I am local to you. I live up by Georgetown.

The red rock "metiorite" lumps are hematite. Good sign.
The paying veins in our area were typically quartz in slate and especially with serpentine contacts. We have black slate and oxidized yellow slate. If you come across anything with sort of a grainy glittery aspect its schist. Based on your location you should come across some schist.

Serpentine is the green stuff.

Most of the chunks you were showing in your vid are probably waste rock from the mine. The stuff they dug out and cast aside.
The best quartz meaning most likely to have value is going to be spongy ,rusty rotten looking stuff. The reason you may not be finding much of that is the guys before you new what they were looking for8-)

That slate with quartz stringers and the serpentine with quartz contact on it is exactly what you want to see...besides gold that is.

Keep at it your gonna have soil on top of the mine activity era layer. Seeing plowed ground could mean that a lot of info is scattered.

Panning will tell you if the dirt has some gold in it but, don't expect valuable concentrations unless there is a creek bed nearby.

I'm close my shop is right down in Coloma/Lotus. Let me know if you want any onsite help/advice.

OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
late reply!

Howdy. I am local to you. I live up by Georgetown.

The red rock "metiorite" lumps are hematite. Good sign.
The paying veins in our area were typically quartz in slate and especially with serpentine contacts. We have black slate and oxidized yellow slate. If you come across anything with sort of a grainy glittery aspect its schist. Based on your location you should come across some schist.

Serpentine is the green stuff.

Most of the chunks you were showing in your vid are probably waste rock from the mine. The stuff they dug out and cast aside.
The best quartz meaning most likely to have value is going to be spongy ,rusty rotten looking stuff. The reason you may not be finding much of that is the guys before you new what they were looking for8-)

That slate with quartz stringers and the serpentine with quartz contact on it is exactly what you want to see...besides gold that is.

Keep at it your gonna have soil on top of the mine activity era layer. Seeing plowed ground could mean that a lot of info is scattered.

Panning will tell you if the dirt has some gold in it but, don't expect valuable concentrations unless there is a creek bed nearby.

I'm close my shop is right down in Coloma/Lotus. Let me know if you want any onsite help/advice.

Sorry for the latest reply ever, Life junk got in the way, yes I'd definitely love on site help =) the slate I found was from a creek/drain that has dug into the ground about 10 feet or 8 feet, or more, and it runs into a lake in Cameron park ca, there are a lot of other things I'd like to show you because I'm definitely a nooble for one, and learning is one of my favorite things. Do you have contact info so I can get a hold of you? =D thanks for the info as we'll.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the latest reply ever, Life junk got in the way, yes I'd definitely love on site help =) the slate I found was from a creek/drain that has dug into the ground about 10 feet or 8 feet, or more, and it runs into a lake in Cameron park ca, there are a lot of other things I'd like to show you because I'm definitely a nooble for one, and learning is one of my favorite things. Do you have contact info so I can get a hold of you? =D thanks for the info as we'll.

PM on the way

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Please post some pics of the green rocks with Quartz veins and especially any showing the green Crystals. There are many possibilities of what the green Mineral/Crystals could be and hopefully we can identify it/them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread