Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Is it worth crushing all quartz found in a rich gold district?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2017
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Assembler View Post
    If the area you are prospecting has a history of larger gold maybe one can spot some in the rocks by crushing some then look at by eye with the aid of a lens as well as metal detect. Crushing down to 100 mesh size will start to tell you the amount of values per volume of rocks. One may want to try different screen sizes for your prospecting area.
    I was going to build a sifting box for the larger 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 materials and then buy the 30, 50 and 70 micron filters in time. I have no metal detector at this point, so I am stuck using my eyes and brain.
    I have figured you get what you pay for so I should bank $1000.00 before I even start looking for a detector. (Would people suggest saving cash and buying a spot detector before a large coil?)

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    114 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotiaGold View Post
    I was going to build a sifting box for the larger 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 materials and then buy the 30, 50 and 70 micron filters in time. I have no metal detector at this point, so I am stuck using my eyes and brain.
    I have figured you get what you pay for so I should bank $1000.00 before I even start looking for a detector. (Would people suggest saving cash and buying a spot detector before a large coil?)
    One should be able to spot with there eyes larger gold when screening the 1/2" - 1/8" sizes. One maybe able to 'See more of the larger gold' with the metal detectors with the same screen size that is the difference. Be sure to spread out the screen sized rock out into a single layer to help look at as well as metal detect. The metal detector should be one that is designed for "Gold detecting".
    NovaScotiaGold likes this.

Mar 2016
    718 times
    I will use your advise and sample 5 gallons of rock to test for viability of samples. Typical goal in 5 gallons to have worthwhile location would be trace or measurable amounts?
    Depends on what your trying to do. If you are hoping to find some gold in the samples you pick up, then trace it to the source and develop a hard rock mine, a trace amount of gold would be a good sign. I would suggest concentrating on an area that is open to claiming in case you do find a deposit.

If your just after some gold, then I would go directly to the tailings pile of an abandoned (un-claimed) gold mine. Rake through the pile while keeping your eye out for gold or unusual looking rocks. They will ALL have some discarded ore in them. It's was difficult to keep the country rock separated 100% from the ore when they were blasting and mucking.

Once you find a tailings pile that has some discarded gold ore, don't forget to go down hill and look for similiar looking rocks that eroded off the deposit. Dig around in the draws below the mines. Sometimes bedrock is only 3 or 4 feet deep and they skipped over it for lack of water.

However be sure that you are in an area known for high grade deposits - not micro gold that had to be chemically processed to be recovered.

Here is a piece I found earlier this year in a tailings pile.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gld1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	1488835

And another that I found just by looking with my eyes.

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	1488836

Beware of tailing piles that are 100% country rock. There are many tunnels that were excavated either to get to a deposit, or to drain water, circulate air, explore, ect.
    You don't want to waste your time looking through those types of tailings. To avoid that, I would focus on shallow mines, surface diggings, open cuts, ect. where they didn't waste time and effort on anything other than easy ore.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Aug 30, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    114 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Depends on what your trying to do. If you are hoping to find some gold in the samples you pick up, then trace it to the source and develop a hard rock mine, a trace amount of gold would be a good sign. I would suggest concentrating on an area that is open to claiming in case you do find a deposit.

If your just after some gold, then I would go directly to the tailings pile of an abandoned (un-claimed) gold mine. Rake through the pile while keeping your eye out for gold or unusual looking rocks. They will ALL have some discarded ore in them. It's was difficult to keep the country rock separated 100% from the ore when they were blasting and mucking.

Once you find a tailings pile that has some discarded gold ore, don't forget to go down hill and look for similiar looking rocks that eroded off the deposit. Dig around in the draws below the mines. Sometimes bedrock is only 3 or 4 feet deep and they skipped over it for lack of water.

However be sure that you are in an area known for high grade deposits - not micro gold that had to be chemically processed to be recovered.

Beware of tailing piles that are 100% country rock. There are many tunnels that were excavated either to get to a deposit, or to drain water, circulate air, explore, ect.
    You don't want to waste your time looking through those types of tailings. To avoid that, I would focus on shallow mines, surface diggings, open cuts, ect. where they didn't waste time and effort on anything other than easy ore.
    Very good information there and thank you for posting of the pictures IMAUDIGGER.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    114 times
    Prospecting
    Hello
    The idea of the screen method is to help one find out what rock the values may be coming from unopened rocks. One eyes can spot larger gold as well as the old timers did.
    Last edited by Assembler; Aug 30, 2017 at 11:49 AM.

Mar 2016
    718 times
    Another tip if your going to rake through taillings piles...many times the top 2 or 3 inches has a concentration of gold due to erosion. Careful detecting and or sluicing of that layer can yield some decent gold...go digging in with a shovel and you have just diluted the pay material to the point it may not be worth your time. I always get excited thinking I found a huge pile of paying ore....usually it turns out it's a surface concentration.

Also rich (heavy) pieces of ore tend to roll to the bottom of the pile and get covered up quickly with larger rocks.
    I'm still waiting on the softball size chunk of gold laced ore.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Aug 30, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    114 times
    Prospecting
    Another tip if your going to rake through taillings piles...many times the top 2 or 3 inches has a concentration of gold due to erosion. Careful detecting and or sluicing of that layer can yield some decent gold...go digging in with a shovel and you have just diluted the pay material to the point it may not be worth your time. I always get excited thinking I found a huge pile of paying ore....usually it turns out it's a surface concentration.

Also rich (heavy) pieces of ore tend to roll to the bottom of the pile and get covered up quickly with larger rocks.
    I'm still waiting on the softball size chunk of gold laced ore.
    Excellent information there IMAUDIGGER - thanks.
    The crush, screen and scan or look method this one points out is for possible larger values inside of rocks. Both methods should be used to get a better ideas of the values there. There may be some other methods as well.
    I really like your tip of not digging in to far in a pile.

Aug 2017
    20 times

Option 1 for me. I want to locate trace amounts and hunt it back to source.
    In waverley I am recalling cyanide being used for at least part of processing, today's town was built on the old main mine site ...mainly houses now... there was gold found in the hills above the town which is where Im hunting in dried up waterways and shallows and trying to examine rock faces for obvious signs of minerals. Once I identify host material I should have no issue finding more.

Today's interesting finds:

Name:	20170830_210039.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	1488989

Name:	20170830_204421.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	1488990

Name:	20170830_195944.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	1488991

Name:	20170830_145100.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1488992
    #4 Is the one Im looking to examine deeper into for now

In the Montague Gold Mine area I am pretty sure there would be good sites to look, but with current mining operations going on in the area I am waiting to do homework so Im not on someone's claim.
    Last edited by NovaScotiaGold; Aug 30, 2017 at 07:59 PM.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    5075 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I bought something called a sore thumb rock crusher, they are about $40 and work well. You take a set of small likely samples and with little effort, smash them to itsy bitsy pieces and then pan the dust, that will give you an idea of if there's gold in it or not. A good solution would be to find nearby creeks and try them for color. If there's color in the creeks, there is gold in the rocks nearby.

Aug 2017
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I bought something called a sore thumb rock crusher, they are about $40 and work well. You take a set of small likely samples and with little effort, smash them to itsy bitsy pieces and then pan the dust, that will give you an idea of if there's gold in it or not. A good solution would be to find nearby creeks and try them for color. If there's color in the creeks, there is gold in the rocks nearby.
    Just looked it up. Awesome! Im in. I was going to use the pipe and cap off an old oil tank and crush with a rod. That looks easier on the hands and can be braced with feet. Great budget item! Still going to be a long haul to get through this 5 gallon bucket when its full of my desired sample material.

Aug 2017
    20 times
    Thanks for all the tips and direction, its been motivating. What do people use in the field to shiny up dull samples? Vinegar? I have a feeling this sample will pop if I clean it up. ... how does one do that?

Name:	20170831_010003.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	1489075

Name:	20170831_010223.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	1489076
    Last edited by NovaScotiaGold; Aug 30, 2017 at 11:09 PM.

Mar 2016
    718 times
    I'm not aware of anything that will shiny up rocks other than a tumbler.

Gold on the other hand...you can clean it up pretty good using various chemicals.

The hobby miner needs a shallow, high paying deposit that contains free milling gold.
    Just because they used cyanide to process that particular ore, it does not mean there isn't pocket gold in the immediate vicinity.
    In the US we have a wealth of historical reports that clearly describe the type of deposits and how much they produced.
    Very valuable information.

I heard a story about a local guy that packed rocks back all the time with the intention of crushing them for testing. Of course there were years of rocks laying around.
    One day he got around to crushing some of them and found that one rock was just loaded with gold....he never could remember where he found it.
    Moral of the story is, if your going to leave it laying around, you better catalog it or just toss it in the rock garden.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Aug 31, 2017 at 10:24 AM.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    114 times
    Prospecting
    I'm not aware of anything that will shiny up rocks other than a tumbler.

Gold on the other hand...you can clean it up pretty good using various chemicals.

The hobby miner needs a shallow, high paying deposit that contains free milling gold.
    Just because they used cyanide to process that particular ore, it does not mean there isn't pocket gold in the immediate vicinity.
    In the US we have a wealth of historical reports that clearly describe the type of deposits and how much they produced.
    Very valuable information.

I heard a story about a local guy that packed rocks back all the time with the intention of crushing them for testing. Of course there were years of rocks laying around.
    One day he got around to crushing some of them and found that one rock was just loaded with gold....he never could remember where he found it.
    Moral of the story is, if your going to leave it laying around, you better catalog it or just toss it in the rock garden.
    A tumbler works wonders on rocks.

Aug 2017
    20 times
    Some of these samples are the size of my head or bigger. Im going to focus on the polishing of the viable metals to help identify them instead of focusing on the stones. As I get to breaking down these large rocks I may find smaller interesting stones worth saving and polishing.
    Thanks again for the input

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    114 times
    Prospecting

Idea.

Some of these samples are the size of my head or bigger. Im going to focus on the polishing of the viable metals to help identify them instead of focusing on the stones. As I get to breaking down these large rocks I may find smaller interesting stones worth saving and polishing.
    Thanks again for the input
    You could try different acids such as battery acid etc but be careful and follow safety rules. Others on the forum have posted information about handling acids to start with. Do not inhale the fumes from any acid and have plenty of air ventilation.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links