Is it worth crushing all quartz found in a rich gold district?

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a hint of the gold fever and thought I'd give a quick hunt a try. I probably should have studied up a lot more before beginning this, but as I do ... im into it and don't know what I'm doing lol

I made my way around Waverley, Nova Scotia (a known gold town around here -70,000oz pulled out of the area over the years) for a hunt for gold bearing quartz.

I found a few large stones and a few smaller ones I believe may have gold / silver inside of them and trace amounts on. (Small round flakes found on surface / jammed in surface cracks)

A few quartz stones are light and a few are much heavier than I would have expected.

Wondering if its worth exploring into the stones or if the gold would be on the exterior of the rocks only if it were to have existed. Should I gather the soils from the areas I found the stones instead of smacking the rock with a mallet until it pops?

Anyone want to post the typical link for newbies on how to begin processing samples for viability?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if history shows that 1.75 ounces of Gold was produced for each tonne of mined ore/material, then that is one hell of a rich Gold Mine, especially considering that in larger Gold mining operations, mere grams per tonne are acceptable to make a profit once start-up costs are recovered. From reading through your posts, it seems likely that the Gold bearing Quartz veins are mainly associated with slate layers not unlike the Carolina Slate Belt. Some of the Quartz veins may have been forced to the surface or eroded out as reefs and could run for some distance before running out or running back underground due to running into higher ground or the forces were not sufficient in an area to cause them to come to the surface or erosion just has not exposed it yet. I would concentrate on where the Quartz veins/reefs reach the surface and especially when they are associated with slate layers. If per chance you fall into a bucket of crap and come out smelling like roses and find a Gold deposit that can be proven to produce even 5 grams or more fairly high grade Gold per tonne of ore with a Reserve of several hundred thousand or more ounces and you have a Claim, then you could likely sell the Claim to a Gold Mining Company for many, many millions of dollars and never have to work ever again. If the ore contains an ounce or more per tonne, then whooo hooo, you could be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Frank

Looked up "reef gold" ... thats it! Heavily eroded, but thats it. Chunks of snow white colored quartz on top of the ground on the bottom of the stones and then mineral heavy chunks mixed in with goldish, greenish, blueish stains in the soils. (For some reason the guy before me was smashing the rocks on top of the thin layer of white quartz instead of the ore lol) Bunch of cylinder round quartz stones through out. Its all jammed in a crack between two huge slate rock faces that join in a tight V at the bottom on the hillside. A lot of white quartz or most is gone, only trace. Just mineral rich quartz remaining. Now to find values within it I guess.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume you got some of the information about what the Gold miners were chasing from the museum you visited. If so, don't get a mindset that the museum is totally correct as they may have made some assumptions on some samples that were kept at a Mine site, by a Refiner or by an actual old time Miner. In the scenario about (reply #61), you state that a lot of the white Quartz is gone while the mineral rich Quartz remains. Things are not always as they seem and a Miner may have actually found the Gold more plentiful in the white Quartz than the mineral rich Quartz in that location. The old saying is true, 'Gold is where you find it" and holds true in all known locations where Gold is found. Hunting for Gold is like hunting for an old wise Whitetail Buck, once you think you have it/him figured out, it/him throws you a curve ball. Sample some of the white Quartz where the reef goes back underground and has not been disturbed and sample the mineral rich Quartz from where you found it and at the location where the reef goes back underground, if it is accessible. Crush and pan or process each of the samples and see what the results are or take them to an Assayer for the results. No matter what you do, don't get ahead of yourself and end up spending too much time and too much money on assumptions without testing. Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I assume you got some of the information about what the Gold miners were chasing from the museum you visited. If so, don't get a mindset that the museum is totally correct as they may have made some assumptions on some samples that were kept at a Mine site, by a Refiner or by an actual old time Miner. In the scenario about (reply #61), you state that a lot of the white Quartz is gone while the mineral rich Quartz remains. Things are not always as they seem and a Miner may have actually found the Gold more plentiful in the white Quartz than the mineral rich Quartz in that location. The old saying is true, 'Gold is where you find it" and holds true in all known locations where Gold is found. Hunting for Gold is like hunting for an old wise Whitetail Buck, once you think you have it/him figured out, it/him throws you a curve ball. Sample some of the white Quartz where the reef goes back underground and has not been disturbed and sample the mineral rich Quartz from where you found it and at the location where the reef goes back underground, if it is accessible. Crush and pan or process each of the samples and see what the results are or take them to an Assayer for the results. No matter what you do, don't get ahead of yourself and end up spending too much time and too much money on assumptions without testing. Good luck!
Frank
The testing or sampling will have to start with crushing and panning. Try not to buy to much equipment first with out finding some values first. If the values continue in the rock of the earth then and only then think of more equipment.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank

Not wanting to be so sure of myself I went back out and did some more poking for samples. More of the same mineral rich stuff im mainly collecting as I find it, looked for signs of snow white quartz. And as well a different species of quartz.

Found some of all three ... wont bother with the mineral rich stuff I have posted previously or the seperated chunks of snow white.

Veins of snow white quartz:
20170904_185045.jpg
20170904_185016.jpg
20170904_184953.jpg
20170904_185003.jpg

And then I crossed out of the main area downhill a bit and this red quartz was sticking out of the hillside:
20170904_185627.jpg

A lot of salt in the air here in Nova Scotia and high humidity ... anything on the surfaces that is supposed to be shiny would be very tarnished in my opinion

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not wanting to be so sure of myself I went back out and did some more poking for samples. More of the same mineral rich stuff im mainly collecting as I find it, looked for signs of snow white quartz. And as well a different species of quartz.

Found some of all three ... wont bother with the mineral rich stuff I have posted previously or the seperated chunks of snow white.

Veins of snow white quartz:
View attachment 1490763
View attachment 1490764
View attachment 1490766
View attachment 1490765

And then I crossed out of the main area downhill a bit and this red quartz was sticking out of the hillside:
View attachment 1490767
This is 'Float' rocks that you have no idea of how far the rocks have traveled from the source in the earth itself. Any ideas if any of the 'Float rocks' have any values in them?
If there is some values in these rocks maybe one can then look for the source in near by hills.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
It would be a good plan to try and find an experienced hand at prospecting to show you the basics.Someone with real hands on in field know how.Likely that will be tough to do.Not trying to discourage you,but man your wandering the land like the Jewish peoples forty year trek back in Moses's day.There is a well established Canadian gold forum that may provide you some guidance besides this one.....CANADIAN GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM - Gold Prospecting Forums - Index........

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would be a good plan to try and find an experienced hand at prospecting to show you the basics.Someone with real hands on in field know how.Likely that will be tough to do.Not trying to discourage you,but man your wandering the land like the Jewish peoples forty year trek back in Moses's day.There is a well established Canadian gold forum that may provide you some guidance besides this one.....CANADIAN GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM - Gold Prospecting Forums - Index........
Looks like a great links to start researching. Thank you Dave.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
If one happens to find rich 'Float rock' then the work is just starting for finding the source if the source still exists in the earth itself.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, there is no mineralization in any of the photos you've posted from the beginning of this thread.
some granite, some quartz with stain or impurity's, should be some iron pyrite, gray streaking.
then you have to look at them under magnification, I'm rooting for ya, I've seen lots of newbies with amazing luck.
Astrobouncers video that shows some quartz with mineralization;

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have seen the term colors per tonne ... hearing a lot of course to look for "metals". These were other samples of interest to me for exploration. Gold pan is on way to my door today. Hope to sample most of these and the other stones I have posted. I will have some results feedback later :)

I haven't posted these stones yet, I believe from the feedback this stuff may be a closer match for what I am looking for.

20170905_100429.jpg (I snapped this stone to show colors within it.

Other similar stones:
20170905_100348.jpg
20170905_100337.jpg
20170905_100327.jpg
20170905_100303.jpg
20170905_100251.jpg
20170905_100238.jpg
20170905_100150.jpg

These are some very close by slate bedrock samples:
20170905_103228.jpg
20170905_100215.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is 'Float' rocks that you have no idea of how far the rocks have traveled from the source in the earth itself. Any ideas if any of the 'Float rocks' have any values in them?
If there is some values in these rocks maybe one can then look for the source in near by hills.

I started off by a woody lake bank a kilometer away finding tiny stones of quartz and followed them to my spot where I started to find larger deposits. Used tree bark weirdness and binoculars as my marker /tool mainly to get to here. I believe this is source being "high ground" hard to explain. ... There seem to be other "sources" following a "spine" on the high ground
some of the out of place bark which I believed showed an over saturation of minerals to the trees.
In my area I find wild blueberries, black berries, a lot of wildlife ... deer feces, raccoon feces, woodpecker damage, squirrels, nests in trees and a pungent smell. Gps wont lock very easily either .... have to travel quite a distance on a powered up unit to locate satellites.
20170905_111021.jpg
20170905_110939.jpg
20170905_110918.jpg

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, there is no mineralization in any of the photos you've posted from the beginning of this thread.
some granite, some quartz with stain or impurity's, should be some iron pyrite, gray streaking.
then you have to look at them under magnification, I'm rooting for ya, I've seen lots of newbies with amazing luck.
Astrobouncers video that shows some quartz with mineralization;

Iron pyrite? and grey streaking can be seen in the most recent pics I posted on the surface of stones.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you were on the right track from the beginning, following the quartz, breaking rocks
but there also needs to be sulfide intrusions, look into some of the geology, the fault lines and fracture zones.
tailing piles from old mines are a good place to start, a lot of whats on the surface was pushed around by glaciers.
what lies below, study up on the geology, the crust of the earth in that area is ancient some 500 million years old,
lots to learn, dig deep

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you were on the right track from the beginning, following the quartz, breaking rocks
but there also needs to be sulfide intrusions, look into some of the geology, the fault lines and fracture zones.
tailing piles from old mines are a good place to start, a lot of whats on the surface was pushed around by glaciers.
what lies below, study up on the geology, the crust of the earth in that area is ancient some 500 million years old,
lots to learn, dig deep

Fracture zone?: 20170905_145510.jpg

Went exploring on the top of that ridge and found:
20170905_145630.jpg

It is a hole that had a tree placed in it and filled around with the bottom sticking straight up. All filled in carefully with stones. Seems to go down 6 -8 feet. Definatly an old marker or old shaft / work site of someone's.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As armchair viewers, it is hard to really tell and understand what you are seeing in the pics you have shared. It is our hopes that you are finding some Quartz Reefs or Quartz Reef rocks (float) and highly mineralized Contact Zone rocks/layers that have Gold in them. It would help if you could show more of the terrain in and around the finds but don't show too much that you give away the locations. I searched for and picked out a few videos that might help in your searching. Grant you that these are from completely different parts of the world, they still should give you some ideas as to what to look for on your treks in the Nova Scotia outback.

While you may never encounter such a Quartz Reef as in the video below, I thought it would be eye candy, give you an idea how big some Quartz Reefs can be and give you some pointers. Note: The Gold associated with this reef was mainly found deeper underground in contact zones with other highly mineralized rocks.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As armchair viewers, it is hard to really tell and understand what you are seeing in the pics you have shared. It is our hopes that you are finding some Quartz Reefs or Quartz Reef rocks (float) and highly mineralized Contact Zone rocks/layers that have Gold in them. It would help if you could show more of the terrain in and around the finds but don't show too much that you give away the locations. I searched for and picked out a few videos that might help in your searching. Grant you that these are from completely different parts of the world, they still should give you some ideas as to what to look for on your treks in the Nova Scotia outback.

While you may never encounter such a Quartz Reef as in the video below, I thought it would be eye candy, give you an idea how big some Quartz Reefs can be and give you some pointers. Note: The Gold associated with this reef was mainly found deeper underground in contact zones with other highly mineralized rocks.

Frank

If the first pics in post #73 is quartz then yea, thats what I have. A fairly large hill of quartz. Large boulders breaking off up close ... smaller the further you get from it. Goes from steel grey on outside to brownish / black / reds on inside. Bunch of snow white quartz and red quartz and blue I think ... huge granite boulder most of the way up the quartz hill ... out of place. I will post a more detailed plot of the land tomorrow. Its dark now and not worth the trip.

I believe this is the "highly mineral rich content" I will find below when I dig it out and tap into a solid mass of it:

20170901_165406.jpg

As well I was able to trace some of the "black chunky garbage" today in a quest for "paydirt" by my pile of quartz and found this:

20170905_221528.jpg more below the main quartz structure im sure

Thanks for the quartz reef videos above. I know what needs to be done below now and a good intrusion point. God help me. Lol.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread