Reason why to move overburden

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With all the rains this year I had expectations that may have been misguided.. I was thinking more exposed bedrock or new exposed bedrock.. That really didn't turn out to be the case.. Seems to be more of the opposite.. Sediment transport and hydrology seem to be a tricky business.. Well anyway I figured I would share with you a spot and the reason why it interested me..

Now its obvious that upriver the river pinches and narrows.. What you cant see is that where it pinches the river is about 25 feet deep for a short stretch. About 7 secs into the vid you will see a crack running up the mountian and shallow gravel below.. well that gravel is not deep. about 2 feet or less below is bedrock. For me I find these types of area have a drag to them that seems to be good for settling gold in the cracks.. Now the middle of the river and otherside gravel is piled on bedrock and its deep. Too much overburden. but on this side of the current,, there is a shallow and there is shelf of bedrock that extends for a little area. and gravel has been dragging over this spot for awhile. And the overburden is within my ability to manage. Anyway seemed to me it might be worth clearing that little shelf.. I did. Anyway I guess that's all I got in regard to this area and why I bothered with it.. Now for me these instances pay off more then not but ultimately gold will do and be where it wants so as always the key to pay gold is sampling sampling and then some more..
Anyway gentlemen wish you all a good season and a safe one...

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be 10 to 12 ounces in that crack where it goes under the over-burden just need a dredge to get to it...

*remember where that crack is when dredging is legal again :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
could be 10 to 12 ounces in that crack where it goes under the over-burden just need a dredge to get to it...

*remember where that crack is when dredging is legal again :icon_scratch:

That was sample pan. I trenched the other side to redirect some of the current.. cleared out overburden in the rapids until the bedrock shelf dropped off towards the middle of the river and it became to deep . that crack in the mountain was the start.. I had about 15 feet of shallow shelf stretching downriver from it.. Anyway took a few days but worth the trouble..

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Gold Victor, thanks for sharing! Concerning the crack at around 7 secs in the video, it appears that the river widens a lot there with a very slack flow. IMHO, outside of high water or flooding, it just doesn't seem that a lot of Gold would make it into the crack. Now the gravel bar, it likely has a lot of Gold underneath pinned to the bedrock. I grant you it is likely too much to work by hand but if like winner58 stated, if dredging is ever allowed again, then you should tear that gravel bar down and suction everything you can through the dredge nozzle.

Frank

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What river is that on?

NFA Find Mumford Bar and then tread up just over of a mile... Its a place of commitment to be sure.. not really worth a day trip as u will be probably walking all day.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NFA Find Mumford Bar and then tread up just over of a mile... Its a place of commitment to be sure.. not really worth a day trip as u will be probably walking all day.

Just curious - looks like a lot like one of the rivers near me (but it isn't).
Looks like a great place to spend a couple hot summer days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread