Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Prospecting Vehicle

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2008
    Fort Dick, Ca.
    694 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Very nice Amsbandis. Could you take afew picture of it without it loaded? Does the trailer articulate some way? Up / down, side to side?
    Mike
    Last edited by delnorter; Sep 02, 2017 at 11:53 AM.
    Duckshot and Asmbandits like this.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    1417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejay View Post
    The nice thing about a bike vs a quad is that a single lane trail is looked upon as OK by the Gov Agencies (less than 4 feet wide). A walking/hiking trail is considered OK and not frowned upon. (of course they don't like motorized...so the tracks can often tell a story). A quad leaves two lanes showing; and the agencies don't like quads (motor vehicles). Then, with the two track lanes the agencies measure and if over 4 ft wide they call it a road....and they frown upon people making roads on the public lands they administer. At least that has been my personal experience. Years ago I rigged my Honda 125 trail bike to have racks on the front and rear. I could carry my 3 inch dredge system on it and get down a old mule trail to my spot....about 3/4 of a mile. Nice to see you got something going along those lines.

Bejay
    This is along the line I'm thinking as well. There are a bunch of hiking trails that I could go down but rather not cause any issue I know people would have an issue with it. I try to avoid the foot trails if possible, the majority of trails I take this thing down now are on blm land or designated ohv. The good thing about this rig particularly is its so ridiculously quiet (actually has a aftermarket exhaust system that makes it quieter) sounds about the same as small honda generator. Also its geared so low and has super soft trials tires that leave virtually no footprint and does not disturb the ground of the trail no more than a mountain bike if that.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    1417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorter View Post
    Very nice Amsbandis. Could you take afew picture of it without it loaded? Does the trailer articulate some way? Up / down, side to side?
    Mike
    Here are some photos as I went while modding that will give a better look at the trailer itself. Also threw in a pic of the cheap $69.00 bike version we started off with that led me to this better version. The bike version actually held up and worked but wouldn't last long. I also included a pic of how I use to have to carry gear lol..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attach0_01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	669.3 KB 
ID:	1489897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170710_175513_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	1489898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170809_195704_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	1489899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170809_195925_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	1489900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170809_195949_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	1489901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170809_200000_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	1489902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170814_170335_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	1489903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170817_184004_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	1489904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170819_140423_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	1489905
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

us
    Oct 2008
    Fort Dick, Ca.
    694 times
    Thanks Asmbandits, really cool.

Mike

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    1416 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmbandits View Post
    This is along the line I'm thinking as well. There are a bunch of hiking trails that I could go down but rather not cause any issue I know people would have an issue with it. I try to avoid the foot trails if possible, the majority of trails I take this thing down now are on blm land or designated ohv. The good thing about this rig particularly is its so ridiculously quiet (actually has a aftermarket exhaust system that makes it quieter) sounds about the same as small honda generator. Also its geared so low and has super soft trials tires that leave virtually no footprint and does not disturb the ground of the trail no more than a mountain bike if that.
    In the 60s and 70s the Honda trail bikes were very quiet. I always geared mine with the smallest front sprocket possible and the largest possible on the rear. I also used the largest rear tire possible and the bike would crawl/creep. I never tore up the trail and often would conceal my tracks if they showed. I utilized a historic mining trail that pre-empted FLPMA and I had historic maps that showed the trail....(public right of way). I still use the trail today, but with a quad. The USFS District ranger and a bunch of staff (along with the county sheriff deputy) came and had a meeting about the quad access trails that had also been developed to access other areas. They wanted the other quad trails hidden and not used, but the historic trail could not be closed as long as we maintained only 4 ft width. Quiet is a key issue, along with maintaining "no fire debris hazards". So we clean the trail every spring of dead woody limbs etc. Access maint is a valid form of assessment work. All trails and roads that pre-empted FLPMA are open for use if one knows how to proceed and be respectful of the land....at least that is how we have maintained our access for 38 years. At the end of our mining occupation we drag some big logs over the trail to keep others from tearing them up; who usually romp around, having a good old time tearing things up. Just a little insight as to how we have managed to utilize historic access. One need only read the mining laws to realize the access issue has justifiable merit, and maintaining that access plays a key role in assessment work.

Bejay

bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    112 times
    Nice bike! Here was my solution to some of the smaller hiking trails. Totally quiet electric motor and also fun to ride. Most just think its a regular mountain bike as you cruise past.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	523.7 KB 
ID:	1490311

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    1417 times
    That is one sweet setup bug! I've considered electric conversion myself, what kind of kit is that and how does it do with steep hills?
    Last edited by Asmbandits; Sep 03, 2017 at 11:37 PM.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    1416 times
    Prospecting
    On 60 minutes tonight they had a guy who puts motors into the frames of bikes for the tour de france bikers. He has a motor in a frame and a motor inside the wheel hub. If that don't beat all. And the tour riders have been using them since 1998...go figure! If you can't drug enhance the riders you can enhance the bikes!

Bejay
    davin and Asmbandits like this.

bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    112 times
    Thanks! I picked up a Bafang hd kit with 48v battery and 30 tooth front sprocket, to help on the hills. The kits are easy to install and Im pretty happy with it, but might upgrade to a 52 volt battery for a little extra boost. Ya Bejay I saw a video of a guy crash in one of the tour races and the rear wheel kept powering after hitting the ground. Pretty funny stuff.
    Asmbandits and Bejay like this.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    1417 times
    Added 12v and usb outlet to charge devices while riding. I can also now charge my drone batteries with the bike as well just let it idle and use it like a generator. I could even plug in a lil 110v inverter and let it idle and it would basically be a lil generator lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170903_125334_01.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	1490694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170903_125402_vHDR_Auto.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	1490695

us
    Oct 2008
    Fort Dick, Ca.
    694 times
    Great information and pictures guys. Amsbandits, do the brace/bracket connections of the trailer to the bike axle lock on in a manner that allows the trailer to freely pivot up and down at that point? Is that so with the lightweight bicycle trailer also? Do you recall the brand of the bicycle trailer?

Thanks again,
    Mike

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Bounty Hunter
    493 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    Nice bike! Here was my solution to some of the smaller hiking trails. Totally quiet electric motor and also fun to ride. Most just think its a regular mountain bike as you cruise past.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	523.7 KB 
ID:	1490311
    Nice bike but since the motor is not in the wheels you will not get regenerative braking witch charges your battery when going down hill. Not only does it extend your range but also helps slow you down when going down hill.

us
    May 2011
    north idaho
    whites GMT
    155 times
    hey bug, who is the make of that bike ? thanks

us
    May 2011
    north idaho
    whites GMT
    155 times
    maker, sorry

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    1417 times
    Here you go Mike, https://www.aosom.com/sporting-goods...yABEgIopvD_BwE this is a link to the bicycle trailer you asked about. Yes you are correct it pivots up and down at the hitch connection and side to side at the joint where the trailer basket starts. Its designed to lean with the bike as you turn.
    Last edited by Asmbandits; Sep 05, 2017 at 11:13 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links