Prospecting Vehicle

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I posted this on my journal thread but wanted to share with the crowd here as well. This is my Prospecting vehicle, a 86 Honda reflex trl200 trials bike towing a custom sherpax trailer. All ca plated with working lights, able to carry whatever I may need down some trails that you could only walk or ride a motorcycle down due to width. I added a lot to the trailer as they don't come with everything I have on mine. I upgraded my gps as well to a garmin inreach explorer that's tied to the phone via bluetooth that allows me to view all sorts of different map and data combos. The trailer will fit an entire 2" water pump inside with the lid closed!

DSC_9529.jpg DSC_9532.jpg DSC_9539.JPG DSC_9544.jpg P_20170807_162058_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Upvote 0

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Totally awesome -- and half the fun is going to be the ride. Had the same bike for a short time and sold to a friend for cheap.
Also be careful what goes down must come up or vice versa. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome -- and half the fun is going to be the ride. Had the same bike for a short time and sold to a friend for cheap.
Also be careful what goes down must come up or vice versa. :icon_thumright:

The first time down was a bit scary, going down was actually harder and I was for sure over loaded but I made it in and out thankfully.. The trick is to keep the load as low as possible, if you start going high with the load it will wanna wobble., but with a normal load you can hardly feel it until you start hitting some serious hill climbs.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you thinking about some sort of protection for your metal detector hung on the side? One thrown rock in the wrong place, or a limb catching it would probably ruin your day. I wish I had the money for a rig like that - Wow! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you thinking about some sort of protection for your metal detector hung on the side? One thrown rock in the wrong place, or a limb catching it would probably ruin your day. I wish I had the money for a rig like that - Wow! :occasion14:

Yeah I don't plan on leaving the detector there, just though it looked good and was better than the bar or pick axe or wood axe etc. I probably should have mentioned that originally. I tired to space the mounts to be as versatile as possible so I can carry most any two hand tool I think.. It is pretty pricy but I'm a motorcycle guy at heart and for the right person in the right situation it is worth every penny.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What he needs is a tooled leather two-peice fitted scabbard mounted vertically behind the seat like it was a rifle. :tongue3:

That'd be cooler than what he's got now, not that what he's got ain't cool enough already.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty Cool man. Innovative! I dont recall ever seeing a trailer rig set up on a bike like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out, California F&G wardens might consider that a "suction dredge" :occasion14:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very illegal in most places in my state where there is gold that is why I got an electric bike witch is legal, nice cargo carrier and set up.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very illegal in most places in my state where there is gold that is why I got an electric bike witch is legal, nice cargo carrier and set up.
is Tesla gonna build a dirtbike? Game changer lol

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty Cool man. Innovative! I dont recall ever seeing a trailer rig set up on a bike like that.

There are three different companies using similar designs, Sherpa by kipmoto, motomule and there is one more I remember but don't recall there name. Sherpa in my opinion got it right, the other two aren't built for the ruff terrain. I had been researching this for a while, had planned to build my own but never got around to it. Someone skilled at metal fab could easily build one.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he needs is a tooled leather two-peice fitted scabbard mounted vertically behind the seat like it was a rifle. :tongue3:

That'd be cooler than what he's got now, not that what he's got ain't cool enough already.

That would be really sweet for sure if you could make it work! The riding experience is so nice, no cargo bouncing you around on the bike. I was going to buy a rack made for the bike I had found and still might, just for some extra carrying ability if need be.

Im also adding a USB/12v combo outlet to the handlebars to charge the phone and gps and I can even charge my drone batteries this way. It just showed up in the mail today.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The nice thing about a bike vs a quad is that a single lane trail is looked upon as OK by the Gov Agencies (less than 4 feet wide). A walking/hiking trail is considered OK and not frowned upon. (of course they don't like motorized...so the tracks can often tell a story). A quad leaves two lanes showing; and the agencies don't like quads (motor vehicles). Then, with the two track lanes the agencies measure and if over 4 ft wide they call it a road....and they frown upon people making roads on the public lands they administer. At least that has been my personal experience. Years ago I rigged my Honda 125 trail bike to have racks on the front and rear. I could carry my 3 inch dredge system on it and get down a old mule trail to my spot....about 3/4 of a mile. Nice to see you got something going along those lines.

Bejay

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Amsbandis. Could you take afew picture of it without it loaded? Does the trailer articulate some way? Up / down, side to side?
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nice thing about a bike vs a quad is that a single lane trail is looked upon as OK by the Gov Agencies (less than 4 feet wide). A walking/hiking trail is considered OK and not frowned upon. (of course they don't like motorized...so the tracks can often tell a story). A quad leaves two lanes showing; and the agencies don't like quads (motor vehicles). Then, with the two track lanes the agencies measure and if over 4 ft wide they call it a road....and they frown upon people making roads on the public lands they administer. At least that has been my personal experience. Years ago I rigged my Honda 125 trail bike to have racks on the front and rear. I could carry my 3 inch dredge system on it and get down a old mule trail to my spot....about 3/4 of a mile. Nice to see you got something going along those lines.

Bejay

This is along the line I'm thinking as well. There are a bunch of hiking trails that I could go down but rather not cause any issue I know people would have an issue with it. I try to avoid the foot trails if possible, the majority of trails I take this thing down now are on blm land or designated ohv. The good thing about this rig particularly is its so ridiculously quiet (actually has a aftermarket exhaust system that makes it quieter) sounds about the same as small honda generator. Also its geared so low and has super soft trials tires that leave virtually no footprint and does not disturb the ground of the trail no more than a mountain bike if that.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Amsbandis. Could you take afew picture of it without it loaded? Does the trailer articulate some way? Up / down, side to side?
Mike

Here are some photos as I went while modding that will give a better look at the trailer itself. Also threw in a pic of the cheap $69.00 bike version we started off with that led me to this better version. The bike version actually held up and worked but wouldn't last long. I also included a pic of how I use to have to carry gear lol..

Attach0_01.jpg P_20170710_175513_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20170809_195704_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20170809_195925_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20170809_195949_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20170809_200000_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20170814_170335_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20170817_184004_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20170819_140423_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is along the line I'm thinking as well. There are a bunch of hiking trails that I could go down but rather not cause any issue I know people would have an issue with it. I try to avoid the foot trails if possible, the majority of trails I take this thing down now are on blm land or designated ohv. The good thing about this rig particularly is its so ridiculously quiet (actually has a aftermarket exhaust system that makes it quieter) sounds about the same as small honda generator. Also its geared so low and has super soft trials tires that leave virtually no footprint and does not disturb the ground of the trail no more than a mountain bike if that.

In the 60s and 70s the Honda trail bikes were very quiet. I always geared mine with the smallest front sprocket possible and the largest possible on the rear. I also used the largest rear tire possible and the bike would crawl/creep. I never tore up the trail and often would conceal my tracks if they showed. I utilized a historic mining trail that pre-empted FLPMA and I had historic maps that showed the trail....(public right of way). I still use the trail today, but with a quad. The USFS District ranger and a bunch of staff (along with the county sheriff deputy) came and had a meeting about the quad access trails that had also been developed to access other areas. They wanted the other quad trails hidden and not used, but the historic trail could not be closed as long as we maintained only 4 ft width. Quiet is a key issue, along with maintaining "no fire debris hazards". So we clean the trail every spring of dead woody limbs etc. Access maint is a valid form of assessment work. All trails and roads that pre-empted FLPMA are open for use if one knows how to proceed and be respectful of the land....at least that is how we have maintained our access for 38 years. At the end of our mining occupation we drag some big logs over the trail to keep others from tearing them up; who usually romp around, having a good old time tearing things up. Just a little insight as to how we have managed to utilize historic access. One need only read the mining laws to realize the access issue has justifiable merit, and maintaining that access plays a key role in assessment work.

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread