If I have a Mercury/ Gold Almalgam

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would depend on how you expressed the mercury? and what quantity? If it was done in a cintilator it is safe. Either way Mercury won't evaporate in standard ambient temperatures, it has to be heated which if not done correctly is deadly.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it would depend on how you expressed the mercury? and what quantity? If it was done in a cintilator it is safe. Either way Mercury won't evaporate in standard ambient temperatures, it has to be heated which if not done correctly is deadly.

This is incorrect
There is no minimum temperature at which mercury will not evaporate. However, At room temperature this process is extremely slow and one gram of HG will completely evaporate in about 2 years. An open container of HG in a room with typical ventilation should not build up concentrations that would be of concern but if you have the HG in a sealed container, the air in that container will be quite contaminated and you should avoid breathing the fumes when you first open it. The best way is to store it in a durable sealed container under a layer of water. The warmer the HG becomes, the faster it will evaporate.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bonaro, I store my Mercury in an air tight bottle.Should I also pour water on top?
Marvin

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys I pretty much knew it always needed to be underwater in it's pure state.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I'm really fuzzy on is if it is more stable as an amalgam?? When I wring it ( in a shamy or paper towels) after it has collected all the gold will it continue to evaporate? Or should I keep that Little Rock underwater also?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes! And if your container is glass , keep that in another container incase something happens(dropped) to it!
Yes, I have it triple cased and double wrapped but no water. My amalgam ball is in a glass comtainer ----no H2O.
Marvin

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro, I store my Mercury in an air tight bottle.Should I also pour water on top?
Marvin

You should store your HG in a chemical resistant "unbreakable" plastic bottle, Nalgene is ideal. Put a layer of clean water over the HG and seal tightly. This should then be put into a secondary container so things dont get dropped on it or shoved around. I use an old plastic coffee can. Label it clearly and put this on a low shelf in the garage or out building where it will be reasonably cool and out of the way, not in the house and not where kids might play.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I'm really fuzzy on is if it is more stable as an amalgam?? When I wring it ( in a shamy or paper towels) after it has collected all the gold will it continue to evaporate? Or should I keep that Little Rock underwater also?

There is no difference between liquid mercury and a lump of mercury covered gold, you still have mercury exposed to air. The best way is to safely remove the HG from the gold, reclaim it and return it to the jar with the rest of your HG. Then you can do what you want the the gold.

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok thx

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to remove all of the Hg is to melt down your gold and pour it off. Nitric only takes the Hg off of the tops of nuggets, while leaving the Hg that has seeped into the pores. A nugget that has been cleaned in nitric, will turn gray again within a year. Then you will have to repeat the cleaning process a few times over the next few years to return it to its shiny gold color each time.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only way to remove all of the Hg is to melt down your gold and pour it off. Nitric only takes the Hg off of the tops of nuggets, while leaving the Hg that has seeped into the pores. A nugget that has been cleaned in nitric, will turn gray again within a year. Then you will have to repeat the cleaning process a few times over the next few years to return it to its shiny gold color each time.

Mercury does not stick to gold the way water sticks to a stone. Its more of a molecular bond like the way solder sticks to brass. Mercury, when attached to gold will actually "soak in" to the surface of the gold and given time will begin to dissolve it. Melting the gold is a sure way to get rid of the amalgam but what you are actually doing is heating the HG above it's vapor point and causing it to evaporate....and a little more heat melts the gold. You can vaporize the HG using a retort but no matter what method you use, the gold will come out dull and discolored. This is because the HG has etched it. The only way to return the gold to it's natural bright color is to tumble it

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice chemistry lesson Bonaro. I like it!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercury, when attached to gold will actually "soak in" to the surface of the gold and given time will begin to dissolve it.

Well that's just terrifying!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a great video. I really like how the guy said he was so amused by it he did it 23 times lol, it does look like fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread