dredging weight belt

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on fat , current of the water, and type of wetsuit. I'm 5'6" and wear 55 lbs to help hold me in place BUT I wear a nearly new wetsuit,Harvey with new style rubber that has a high air content. Keeps me warm in freezing water.When in stiff current,second belt goes on with another 20lbs too.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I don't think there is an answer to that. It depends on how deep you are and the amount of water flow. It also depends on your body shape and how well it floats. You also have to adjust to the size of the nozzle you are using. I use only enough weight to keep me on the bottom without holding on to something...Art

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the same, with a 7mm wetsuit between 60-80 depending on current..

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
well im pretty chunky lol so i float at the drop of a dime, the water is less than 5 feet, not too swift,im really new to all this, its my 1st dredge a keene 4 inch that I restricted down to a 3inch,i have a sterns wetsuit but i just wore blue jeans and a t shirt when i went, so I imagine a wet suit would make you float more,all that said Im just trying to figure out how much weight to start out with just a ball park idea, but man its pretty under water with all those fish,I love it,it was my 1st time actually diving in the wild and not a pool, thanks for the replys

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without wet suit, 40lbs.. Any less and you'll be spending more energy trying to stay put then working the nozzle..

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
ty i have 80 lbs of lead, does anybody know where i can find a mold to mold the weights?

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
bigalathenstn said:
ty i have 80 lbs of lead, does anybody know where i can find a mold to mold the weights?

You could just make a sand mold. Works great actually and costs nothing. I have worked some deep fast water where I had to use over a hundred pounds to stay down, and I normally sink like a rock. The answer to your question has so many variables that there is no single answer.

Best of luck to you with your gold prospecting.

~Nash~

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Save ya some money and fill em with old copper cents. :wink: Or the lead fishing weights you dredge up!

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
Buy one weight and make a plaster of paris mold from it. Make sure the mold is dry before using it. You can pour at least 20 shots before the mold wears out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions