Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N-Lionberger

Thread: Dealing with rusted, concrete, decaying bedrock, and clay.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2014
    in my mind/wilds of,tn
    47 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Dealing with rusted, concrete, decaying bedrock, and clay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131123_102642.gif 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	1494022

I was wondering about methods some of you might use to make breaking this stuff up easier. The cracks I have been working lately have a top layer of loose cobble that quickly changes into cobble held together with basically sold iron, rusty concretion which doesn't just wash off the rocks, it's concrete. Following is generally dense clay in combination with rotting bedrock of different varieties. All of it is sticky and it holds the gold. After digging it or sucking it up with a hand dredge and classifying it to run in the sluice i inevitably see unbroken chunks in the tailings. The clay and small clumps of iron concretion are light and will pop right through the sluice trap or over the grizzlies. ... Despite using a metal brush or rough stones to try and disintegrate, using a metal scraper, holding the bucket in deeper water and swirling, trying to smash it up in the hole with shovel.. ect ect... I can't really work it fast, sometimes i might run two or three 5 gal buckets in a day.

I've thought about trying to make a grizzly classifier with hardware screen that would be more abrasive. Just curious as to methods any one else might have employed to deal with this stuff.

us
    XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    328 times
    Prospecting
    I have the same stuff, its a real pain to work through it. I am building a trommel, when I get that done I plan to rerun all of my highbanker tailings.
    MosesOfTheSouth likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Bounty Hunter
    544 times
    Prospecting
    Have you thought of a rock crusher ?

us
    Apr 2014
    in my mind/wilds of,tn
    47 times
    rock crusher....The hike into the place is brutal. mechanized equipment is also not allowed. I've pondered over taking a hollow steel fence post, welding a cap on to one end, handles on the other, melting lead into it and just pounding away... but in dealing with these vertical cracks you reach a point where you have to work around jagged corners that don't really give as they narrow.

Nov 2013
    Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a Number 2 Shovel baby!
    1236 times
    Have you guys seen that clay claw doc uses on his highbankers?
    That might help

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Bounty Hunter
    544 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by MosesOfTheSouth View Post
    rock crusher....The hike into the place is brutal. mechanized equipment is also not allowed. I've pondered over taking a hollow steel fence post, welding a cap on to one end, handles on the other, melting lead into it and just pounding away... but in dealing with these vertical cracks you reach a point where you have to work around jagged corners that don't really give as they narrow.
    Maybe if you would share pics of what you have to deal with and the rules and regs we could help you.

us
    Apr 2014
    in my mind/wilds of,tn
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Maybe if you would share pics of what you have to deal with and the rules and regs we could help you.
    is the pic included in my opening post not working?

us
    Apr 2014
    in my mind/wilds of,tn
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector70 View Post
    Have you guys seen that clay claw doc uses on his highbankers?
    That might help
    i've seen it but it's not applicable in this situation, even if it was i don't think it would break this stuff up.

us
    XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    328 times
    Prospecting
    you could let this stuff sit in the hopper all day with that clay fence thing and it it still wouldnt break up. A high quality pick really helps.
    Last edited by N-Lionberger; Sep 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM.

us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
    373 times
    Prospecting
    Need to find some way to crush it. Its the only way to handle it. But a slow process. By hand. I say take what you can get and call it good enought. If its decent gold then crush some.But most generally if you have to crush it. Its very fine.
    Last edited by triple d; Sep 14, 2017 at 12:46 PM.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030
    2968 times
    I only know of the manual way. It is a pain as described above. You did not mention what your yield is? I would say that if you are getting gold its worth it. If not why bother?
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Oct 2014
    35 times
    One thing I so with difficult material is to break it down and get it under my feet then wet it if underfoot is not already covered with water. So after that, as I work, I am walking on it breaking it down some more, like treading grapes. Then I work on the next bit, but the material going into the sluice is always the most trodden on.
    Last edited by coolfinie; Sep 15, 2017 at 03:55 AM.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links