Dealing with rusted, concrete, decaying bedrock, and clay.

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20131123_102642.gif

I was wondering about methods some of you might use to make breaking this stuff up easier. The cracks I have been working lately have a top layer of loose cobble that quickly changes into cobble held together with basically sold iron, rusty concretion which doesn't just wash off the rocks, it's concrete. Following is generally dense clay in combination with rotting bedrock of different varieties. All of it is sticky and it holds the gold. After digging it or sucking it up with a hand dredge and classifying it to run in the sluice i inevitably see unbroken chunks in the tailings. The clay and small clumps of iron concretion are light and will pop right through the sluice trap or over the grizzlies. ... Despite using a metal brush or rough stones to try and disintegrate, using a metal scraper, holding the bucket in deeper water and swirling, trying to smash it up in the hole with shovel.. ect ect... I can't really work it fast, sometimes i might run two or three 5 gal buckets in a day.

I've thought about trying to make a grizzly classifier with hardware screen that would be more abrasive. Just curious as to methods any one else might have employed to deal with this stuff.

Upvote 0

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the same stuff, its a real pain to work through it. I am building a trommel, when I get that done I plan to rerun all of my highbanker tailings.

OP
OP
MosesOfTheSouth

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock crusher....The hike into the place is brutal. mechanized equipment is also not allowed. I've pondered over taking a hollow steel fence post, welding a cap on to one end, handles on the other, melting lead into it and just pounding away... but in dealing with these vertical cracks you reach a point where you have to work around jagged corners that don't really give as they narrow.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you guys seen that clay claw doc uses on his highbankers?
That might help

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
rock crusher....The hike into the place is brutal. mechanized equipment is also not allowed. I've pondered over taking a hollow steel fence post, welding a cap on to one end, handles on the other, melting lead into it and just pounding away... but in dealing with these vertical cracks you reach a point where you have to work around jagged corners that don't really give as they narrow.
Maybe if you would share pics of what you have to deal with and the rules and regs we could help you.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you could let this stuff sit in the hopper all day with that clay fence thing and it it still wouldnt break up. A high quality pick really helps.

Last edited:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Need to find some way to crush it. Its the only way to handle it. But a slow process. By hand. I say take what you can get and call it good enought. If its decent gold then crush some.But most generally if you have to crush it. Its very fine.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only know of the manual way. It is a pain as described above. You did not mention what your yield is? I would say that if you are getting gold its worth it. If not why bother?

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I so with difficult material is to break it down and get it under my feet then wet it if underfoot is not already covered with water. So after that, as I work, I am walking on it breaking it down some more, like treading grapes. Then I work on the next bit, but the material going into the sluice is always the most trodden on.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread