Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Been watching two claims on Lr2000, on one of the claims fees have been paid on 8/29/2017
(darn it) it looks like the fees have always been paid and never a small miner waiver filed.

On the other claim I'm watching it shows a small miner cert filed on 8/24/2016 nothing for 2017 and
a small miner cert has been filed in the past years.

So my question is if the fees are paid on time does the database get updated right away?
If a small miner cert gets filed does it take longer to update?
Should I get excited and gas up the truck for a ride to the county recorders office?
Thanks for any input help
Mike

Upvote 0

Sunset429

Greenie
Aug 6, 2017
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Mike, I hear you! Been keeping an eye on a few claims myself. I own a lode claim and check its status weekly. Last year it took about a month before the LR2000 updated my fee status. Just paid the 2017-18 fee a few weeks ago and it's still not updated. Will probably take a few more weeks. Not sure if you use thediggings.com but it is much more user friendly than the LR2000.

Gold is where you find it.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So my question is if the fees are paid on time does the database get updated right away?
No. Rarely does anything get updated at the California BLM "right away". It could happen but it's very unlikely.

If a small miner cert gets filed does it take longer to update?
You are in California. It could take up to three years for a small miners or anything else to show up. Generally small miners get updated around February or March in California. Which year that happens is anyone's guess. Last mining year they started updating the small miners on August 1, 2015 - 11 months after the August 31, 2014 waiver deadline. They are still working their way through those. About 500 claims still to go.

In Utah or Nevada it usually takes a week or two. Maybe you would like to mine in Nevada?

Should I get excited and gas up the truck for a ride to the county recorders office?
Absolutely! Take donuts and a big smile and make some friends. Having friends in the Recorder's office is always a good thing. Heck you might even get a chance to locate a claim some day, friends at the County Recorder could make that process more pleasant. Did I mention you should bring donuts? :thumbsup:

Seriously I keep track of every claim and compile statistics on every BLM office. California BLM has a serious problem doing their required claims case accounting. In particular they have a problem with small miners.

California BLM seems to think small miners are very short aliens that eat dirt and fart pollution. They don't like dirt, pollution or short aliens ("little people" they call them) so they have a hard time finding people who will work on small miner's cases. Those that do were educated at Berkeley so they only get about 8 minutes of productivity each day. Something about their right to hourly ganja breaks to save the whales from the evil Confederate Slave Army.

The sad part is California is the only State with more placer claims than lode claims. Placer claims bring in more free money to the State office than lode claims. I assume those extra millions are going into the ganja fund. More money in the ganja fund equals more breaks equals "we'll get around to it mañana".

So the simplest answer to your very valid questions is mañana ... in California.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Rarely does anything get updated at the California BLM "right away". It could happen but it's very unlikely.

You are in California. It could take up to three years for a small miners or anything else to show up. Generally small miners get updated around February or March in California. Which year that happens is anyone's guess. Last mining year they started updating the small miners on August 1, 2015 - 11 months after the August 31, 2014 waiver deadline. They are still working their way through those. About 500 claims still to go.

In Utah or Nevada it usually takes a week or two. Maybe you would like to mine in Nevada?

Absolutely! Take donuts and a big smile and make some friends. Having friends in the Recorder's office is always a good thing. Heck you might even get a chance to locate a claim some day, friends at the County Recorder could make that process more pleasant. Did I mention you should bring donuts? :thumbsup:

Seriously I keep track of every claim and compile statistics on every BLM office. California BLM has a serious problem doing their required claims case accounting. In particular they have a problem with small miners.

California BLM seems to think small miners are very short aliens that eat dirt and fart pollution. They don't like dirt, pollution or short aliens ("little people" they call them) so they have a hard time finding people who will work on small miner's cases. Those that do were educated at Berkeley so they only get about 8 minutes of productivity each day. Something about their right to hourly ganja breaks to save the whales from the evil Confederate Slave Army.

The sad part is California is the only State with more placer claims than lode claims. Placer claims bring in more free money to the State office than lode claims. I assume those extra millions are going into the ganja fund. More money in the ganja fund equals more breaks equals "we'll get around to it mañana".

So the simplest answer to your very valid questions is mañana ... in California.

Heavy Pans

ha ha

It took about three weeks for my registry page to change from "monies received" to actually show my smw filed and AOAW

Even though I filed a NOIH on our new claim it doesn't show on the registry page.

It shows AOAW on both claims one should show the NOIH. I have the paperwork stamped by them. I called the office to double check they say the receipt shows its filed so....

I don't know if stuff goes through quicker when you go in person.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a current factual demonstration of the problem with the California BLM reporting.

In the first half of last month (August 2017) The California BLM announced they had changed the status of 38 placer claims to CLOSED. ALL 38 of those claims were CLOSED in 2016 but the California BLM waited nearly a year before they updated the LR2000 to show those closures.

Every single claim they changed the status on in the LR2000 during August 2017 had actually been CLOSED for nearly a year or more (2016) but you would never have known it if you had been watching the LR2000. Those claims had small miners waivers on them but the California BLM took 8 months to a year to "get around" to updating their database.

August was not an unusual month. In July 2017 California BLM updated the LR2000 to show 224 placer claims changed to CLOSED status. All but 6 of those claims had actually been closed in 2016. The 6 claims that hadn't been closed the previous year? Those were backdated to show they had actually been CLOSED in 1992. Yep it took them 25 years for the California BLM to update the LR2000 for those 6 claims. :BangHead:

The BLM employee manual states that all status changes to a case file should be posted to the LR2000 within 5 working days of that change. I don't know of any state BLM office that meets that requirement but several states do try to be as current as possible. California stands out as the best funded and best staffed BLM state office but they show NO effort in keeping their mining claim case files up to date. They are months and often years behind on updating their files.

You might reasonably think that the California BLM is intentionally messing with miners. You might be right but in my dealings with the California State office on other matters I've seen the same level of incompetence. The people at the State office are generally very nice and pleasant to speak to but their work ethic is really messed up in my experience.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This just in:

The BLM incremental case database for the first half of September 2017 was finally made available about 7:30 last night. I am just now processing those files.

To give you an idea how other BLM State offices handle their reporting requirements Wyoming just reported 605 mining claims case files changed to CLOSED status in the first half of this month. Those claims changed case status on August 30, 2017 - just a few weeks ago. Wyoming updated their database within days of those closures more than likely meeting the 5 day requirement.

California on the other hand changed the status of 7 placer claims case files to CLOSED this month. All those claims were closed a year or more ago. At least one of those claims has been lingering in the database for more than a year because the BLM waited a year to send the required notice to the claim owner. That's not the only claim this month that was sent a notice a year or more after the required time.

There is a real need for current claims status information. Some states very reliably report those status changes. That is a benefit to prospectors and claim owners. When the BLM doesn't present timely information they encourage overfiling and cause possibly valuable mineral lands to appear to be closed to prospecting. There has been a huge increase in State BLM funding for processing mining claim filings and that additional funding appears to be put to good use in most states but in California there has been no perceptible change in their horrible book keeping and LR2000 reporting.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does not have the same "Legal significance, of the plats and field notes" as 'Held' by both State and Federal courts.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perhaps the BLM in California enjoys over-filing as it generates additional revenue.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I can't say when BLM did the LR2000 update, I can at least say my SMW for my claim has been posted and my filings are all current on LR2000.

OP
OP
Bodfish Mike

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I dug a little deeper at the County recorder's about the other claim I was watching
-- Proof Of Labor has been filed on 8/30/2017 at the recorder's. LR1000 has not updated yet.
So guess I will keep looking prospecting.
One last dumb question, are Documents such as Proof Of Labor, Small Miner filed at the
County Recorder's first then the BLM ?

Thanks in advance Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I dug a little deeper at the County recorder's about the other claim I was watching
-- Proof Of Labor has been filed on 8/30/2017 at the recorder's. LR1000 has not updated yet.
So guess I will keep looking prospecting.
One last dumb question, are Documents such as Proof Of Labor, Small Miner filed at the
County Recorder's first then the BLM ?

Thanks in advance Mike

Yes.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the most part yes, but the small miners waver is not filed with the county.
My Small Miners Waver was just updated on my claims in Oregon.
its harder to get a claim after the sept 1st filings deadline not only do you have to wait for BLM to update
the LR2000 but then if there is a curable defect you have to wait another 30 days past that
sometimes with a little research you can contact the owner and see if they are letting them go.
one my claims we talked to the guy, said he was getting too old, meet with my brother and gave him copy's of his filings
real nice guy, if there are indications a claim might not be kept, you can still put boots on the ground
and post a location notice anytime after 9/1 12:01am

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A more precise answer...thanks for correcting my general response. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions