Cherry Creek in Denver

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all. I don't post much to this part of the forum because most of my gold prospecting is in New England and I don't have much to show for it, so I spend most of my time lurking in attempt to gain some knowledge from you for when I do get on some land with good gold.

Well, I think I have a shot. I am in Denver until Wednesday as my gal's brother lives here and is getting married. We are on South Colorado Blvd and the hotel is literally right next to Cherry Creek. I've done some searching on this site and on the Google Machine and it looks like this bit of water has some gold in it. I saw a web page that Kevin in Colorado did on it as well.

Scouting it, the water is definitely low. All I will have at my disposal are two gold pans and a shovel. There are quite a few gravel bars exposed in the middle of the creek that don't appear to have that sand layer that seems prevalent.

I guess my questions for the locals are: am I in a good spot for Cherry Creek and should I just tackle these gravel bars? Will I have any success without a sluice? I will have a good 6 hours to myself to just dig and pan, dig and pan. I guess I don't know what I should expect to reasonably accomplish, as I am going out there mostly for fun (and to get away from her family ).

Thanks for any first hand knowledge or advice you can give. I consider fly poop a success!

-Jay

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the name drop! I found gold in black sand layers in a sand bar 100 feet east of Colorado Blvd and among the larger rocks right by the bridge. The gold should be better amongst the cobbles than it is in the plain sand. You WILL FIND GOLD THERE!

Let us know how it goes :)

And next time you are headed to Denver, pick a spot to dig off of my website for even better gold!
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the name drop! I found gold in black sand layers in a sand bar 100 feet east of Colorado Blvd and among the larger rocks right by the bridge. The gold should be better amongst the cobbles than it is in the plain sand. You WILL FIND GOLD THERE!

Let us know how it goes :)

And next time you are headed to Denver, pick a spot to dig off of my website for even better gold!
Finding Gold in Colorado ? Historic Sites & Modern Honey Holes

Fantastic info! Thank you very much and that site you linked is now bookmarked. I am surprised I haven't bookmarked it before. (Edit: The page I read was from your website! Very convenient!) We've made it a yearly thing to come to Denver but this is the first time we've stayed longer than a weekend, so it's my first time having a day to myself while she does family things. I am very excited!

I will be posting my results here on Tuesday!

Last edited:

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin was kind enough to direct me 2 weeks ago to Arapahoe Bar which turned out to be a lot of fun. Only had time to play around with about 2 buckets full but there was quite a bit of flower gold.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my plans ended up changing when my gal surprised me with a trip to Rollinsville, Colorado on Monday, to spend some time on a claim with Goldstrike Adventures. Though I didn't say anything to her, at first I was very skeptical and a little bummed she basically paid for gold. My opinion changed quickly. She told me on Monday morning so I came to TNET to do a search to see if anything came up, and much to my relief, it is KevinInColorado approved :icon_thumleft:

It was a beautiful trip and a great time. I gave the two gents that met us the day off basically. I made it clear I wanted to do all the work and they were a-okay with that. They had a gold cube with the trommel for the final clean up so I spent hours just digging buckets of pay. I asked plenty of questions and picked their brains on prospecting and specifically, prospecting Colorado. As my gal's brother lives in Denver, we talked a lot about claim process. I have found a little gold over the years but as most of you know, New England isn't exactly a hotbed, so it was thrilling to be on good ground. Just about every test pan I did had color in it and as you all know, it never ceases to awe you. The owner and the two "guides" were great and I would recommend them to anyone with a family just looking to do it for fun.

We spent today, our last day, with her brother, his new bride and her mother, driving through RMNP and doing some hiking, so I didn't get to do any prospecting in Cherry Creek. That's okay. If I were any more relaxed, I'd be dead. Here's a few pictures for you. Thanks for the advice and for looking. I hope some day I have more to share on here. Until then, heavy pans all.

gold1.jpg gold2.jpg gold3.jpg

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh! I did get a good education on flour gold. I've found some small gold but I have never seen anything like this Colorado flour gold. That was a whole 'nother beast to pan. Great learning experience for sure. That picture of the gold in the pan wasn't even the finished product as you can see some in the black sand still. That was just all I had the skills to get! It was at the point I felt it was time to get a good lesson on panning this stuff. If you can teach me to be a better treasure hunter in any aspect, you have my undivided attention so it was good to sit and just watch their technique.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you had a good adventure with my dear friend Don Finley and his crew! This is the perfect time of year for maximum gold on his Boulder Creek claim,well done!!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
she sounds like a keeper!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions