Swede coming to Cali/Idaho!

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'm a 29 year old prospector from the city of Stockholm, Sweden. Despite my urban residence, I try to get away and prospect for gold as much as I can. Due to lack of a proper own location to mine, I try to visit as many new countries to prospect in instead.

So far, I found gold in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Scotland, France, Serbia, Czech Republic and Poland. And as of right now, Im waiting for my VISA to be done for finally visiting the US.

I intend to book a flight for 9th of october or a week later, traveling alone and staying some 11 days. I will be landing in San Francisco.

For unknown reasons, Im kinda in love with Idaho since a few years back and the goal is to visit that place and do some prospecting, probably in the mountains above Boise.

I've however been recommended to try panning in Cali aswell, and Heard about some public free-panning location on the Bear River. Where excatly is this one, or are there several locations?

-What does the law say about light prospecting with a shovel and pan only? If I find a Creek in the middle of nowhere, is it free to pan in both Idaho and Cali, or am I most likely intruding on someones land?

-If so, are there claims where the public can pay to pan? Im willing to do so for decent gold rather than getting in trouble or not finding anything.

-Other input, anything else I should know, or visit or do...?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know some people who have been up dredging in Idaho. They just shared some video of snow on the ground. So, yes it is getting chilly.

But, your a Swede so your probably ok!!

Don't worry about the California plates.

Yeah, we had a big storm last week. Snow level dropped to about 7,000'. Highs now are mid-60's, and sunny. Snow on the mountains is melting. This corner of Idaho is the high-elevation corner. Most of it is above 4,500 at the valley floor. But, we like it cool. Fall is the best time....freezing mornings, and warm, sunny afternoons.
Jim

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear river in Colfax is all bombed out like a war zone but there is still color available. The N. Yuba is my go to for easy pickings. SF is a sh#t hole full of grumpy tech workers but you can find gold on the beach. In The gold rush you had two options for travel, the overland route or around the horn on a boat, most argonauts who went by boat landed in San Francisco. As far as I know the area under roads such as culvert pipes and what is under bridges is generally open for poking around due to highway easement, well at least according to the fellow at the BLM office in Sac.

Sounds like pretty slim pickings down there. It doesn't sound like anything that would interest me, but I guess you go where you can.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...as a bunch of old farts frantically raise their hands. :laughing7:

Told ya. Good thing you took my advice.

Idaho is full of people from California that left because of the regulations.
That is part of the reason you will see people staring at the license plate.
The other reason is the out of state hunters kind of take over the woods during elk season.

I wouldn't worry too much - the worst you might get is the cold shoulder occasionally.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
California plates? Why would that get you in trouble in my state? Yellowstone Park is near the northeast corner of Idaho. I'd venture to guess that a half-million visitors to the park come through Idaho every year. License plates from all over. If we killed all the tourists, there wouldn't be room to bury them all....LOL
Jim

mattt

Apr 23, 2017
northern calif
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
goldwasher i am in calif and would like to take you up on a great offer you put out there:icon_thumright:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California plates? Why would that get you in trouble in my state? Yellowstone Park is near the northeast corner of Idaho. I'd venture to guess that a half-million visitors to the park come through Idaho every year. License plates from all over. If we killed all the tourists, there wouldn't be room to bury them all....LOL
Jim

The first time I visited Idaho, it was near Avery (on St. Joe river). We all noticed the people we spoke with, would be staring at our license plates.
We joked that they thought we were probably anti-everything "ists" from southern California. You guys from So Cal know exactly what I'm talking about.
We were slightly embarrassed. People typically think people from California are all health nuts that spend their time laying in the sun on the beach or holding signs while we protest something.

Last year I spent a couple weeks in the mountains west of new Meadows. I saw more Calif. plates than Idaho plates.

I like the Idaho I have visited so far.
-----------------
HappySwede - be careful, you might find yourself wanting to move to Idaho. It's pretty nice in the fall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the plates, I was mostly trying to be funny on this debate about Californians moving to Idaho and the natives (well, modern natives) freaking out about that. I'm not worried at all about the plates, I might even tell people Im a Californian missionary there to turn everyone into vegetarians and prohibit gasoline.

As for the Jeff Williams adventure, I noticed he wants 500$ (!) to follow me out in the desert. And necessary ear plugs aren't even included in that price. Flying to the US and back is cheaper than having Jeff holding my hand walking me the last few yards out to the gold field, lol.

Anyways - Goldwasher, I'd be happy to accept a kind invitation as such, and spend a few days in the area.

As for the Elk City gold, even a fraction of that pan would be exciting to see after a days work. I'd gladly take up on that offer aswell.

Audigger - you suggest a route over Oregon Redmond rather than Nevada. Is this for following the gold path or other reasons? The detour appears to be around 250 miles.

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And oh, urm, plenty of time left to fill out the trip with. Even if I visit Vegas and LA on my way back, its still only 2000 miles in 14 days. Might aswell do all the detours I can, possibly including eastern Idaho, Snake River and even Yosemite.

No, I'm not delirious or miscalculating distances, I do nothing else but drive and prospect in most of my free time over here.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first time I visited Idaho, it was near Avery (on St. Joe river).

Last year I spent a couple weeks in the mountains west of new Meadows. I saw more Calif. plates than Idaho plates.

Got a chuckle outta the full post! I used to cut timber in Avery area many times over the years. Stayed at the motel/café there and also camped on the job. Also remember when the hot springs in New Meadows was a spot on the creek that only the locals knew about. Last time thru there 15yrs ago(?) there were condos and a paved parking lot.......

Get any gold on the Joe...?????

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Audigger - you suggest a route over Oregon Redmond rather than Nevada. Is this for following the gold path or other reasons? The detour appears to be around 250 miles.

Mainly because it's better scenery.
There are lots of places in the Serra foothills known for good gold.
Then a smaller chunk of ground at the top of California and southern Oregon (my stomping grounds).
Personally I like the very top of California because there is about nice wide gold belt and the population is less than 7 people per square mile.
That means you can prospect lots of gully's and creeks without having to deal with anybody else.

With Google Maps street view and Google Earth photos, you can really do some research checking out lots of different areas to see where you want to visit.

I met a guy in Southern Oregon (west of Wimer) that runs a lodge/pay to mine operation.
Nothing super fancy - but it's in the mountains/forest.
Small cabin next to a large fishing pond.
They had a small trommel and mini excavator set up. Basically the clients could participate in the days work, then split the gold at the end of the day.
I don't know what they charge. I could probably look them up if you wanted.

I also know someone in the Redding area that is known for taking people out detecting nuggets (that are new or learning to detect nuggets) if that is something your interested in.
He is very generous with his time and knowledge and probably would have a spare detector.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a chuckle outta the full post! I used to cut timber in Avery area many times over the years. Stayed at the motel/café there and also camped on the job. Also remember when the hot springs in New Meadows was a spot on the creek that only the locals knew about. Last time thru there 15yrs ago(?) there were condos and a paved parking lot.......

Get any gold on the Joe...?????

There was not much to Avery when I went...maybe a CFN card lock gas station and a couple houses. We were elk hunting and I didn't even bring a pan.
Seems like we did see some evidence of mining, but it was mostly logging. Enormous timber back in the early days, now all pecker poles every 6 inches.
It was very difficult hunting.

This last trip, we were in Grouse Creek north west of Fruitvale.
Lost track of time during a hunt and got stuck up on a mountain peak for the night after heading down the wrong ridge (right as the sun was going down).
Burned up the last of the sunlight getting back up to the top of the ridge and starting a fire.
It had been raining every night and the temps were down around 34°F.
Luckily I was able to get my family on the radio and let them know my plan.

I built up a shelter and fire pit and ate my dinner (cold beer and granola bar).
I hunkered down for the night and spent every minute of it either shivering, getting burned by the fire, or fetching firewood.
I used my elk bags for a sleeping bag, but kept worrying about catching fire.
Long night to say the least. There was 3" of frost on the ground the next morning.
I immediately hiked 2 miles back to camp and ate a nice hot breakfast...packed up camp and drove home.

Those dam wolves had me worried all night too. Quite the experience.
I now carry a bivy sack, fire kit, and water filter everywhere I go.
The other thing I remember that came in very handy was a meat saw.

The Swede better load up the trunk with some sort of survival gear as it is not uncommon for people to get stranded way up some forest road...maybe stuck in the snow.
Be prepared and have no worries.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Totally agree on being prepared.

We go deep into Nevada... sometimes a mountain range or two from any paved road.

5 cans Fix a flat, tire repair kit, 2 weeks food/water and a PLB to ping a satellite to get the calvary coming.

One MUST assume they are going to break down no matter what the vehicle.

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a guy in Southern Oregon (west of Wimer) that runs a lodge/pay to mine operation.
Nothing super fancy - but it's in the mountains/forest.
Small cabin next to a large fishing pond.
They had a small trommel and mini excavator set up. Basically the clients could participate in the days work, then split the gold at the end of the day.
I don't know what they charge. I could probably look them up if you wanted.

I also know someone in the Redding area that is known for taking people out detecting nuggets (that are new or learning to detect nuggets) if that is something your interested in.
He is very generous with his time and knowledge and probably would have a spare detector.

I would be interested in both offers, so yes please look it up if it isn't too much trouble. I have neither done excevator digging, detecting nor ever finding a nugget. My only ounce of gold is mostly swedish flour gold. I'll do the NoCal detour either way.

And as I mentioned, Im happy to pay for all the services whereever I go. But I do hope that Jeff William's 500$ to take a peak on an old mine is an exception to this industry in terms of price range...

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in both offers, so yes please look it up if it isn't too much trouble. I have neither done excevator digging, detecting nor ever finding a nugget. My only ounce of gold is mostly swedish flour gold. I'll do the NoCal detour either way.

And as I mentioned, Im happy to pay for all the services whereever I go. But I do hope that Jeff William's 500$ to take a peak on an old mine is an exception to this industry in terms of price range...

I'm curious - you seem to write English well...what language do you speak?

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native to Serbian but speaking Swedish on an everyday basis. Pretty much everyone here is fluent in English, we are fed with american culture from dusk 'til dawn. Even people on the street here could tell you who Tedd Hoffman or Tony Beets are. Girls are girls and keep up with the Karadshians here aswell - us boys keep up with the Ball family instead. Media report about nothing else but Trump and Russian connections, dont think neither boys nor girls are keeping up with that...and Im already tired of discussing Kyrie going to the Celtics and Melo to OKC.

All swedes know where to find the best shopping in NYC (nowhere, that is) and half my friends are working or have worked in SF. And we were all kind of fluent in american english the first time we had an oppurtinity to speak it. But I'm gonna be the first going to Idaho...

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Hey Swede, Check out the recent post "Getting Out". My invite is open to you. We have a great group of people with several years experience. Hope to see you.

ebuyc

Jan 17, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love Elk City

Nice pics R! I never made it to any of my Elk City claims this year; SAD. I have been thinking about selling some actually, we will see...

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Getting out" tour would be nice but I'm yet to see where Im that excact day.

Im trying to find out where I can go on my own, and found this claims map for Idaho

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5f29588e8fc84f7faeddf8e97ee34cf5

But no claims map for California.

Kind of surprised to see that almost all of Idaho is claimed - is mining that active there still? Anyway, what rules apply if I would like to prospect outside of these claims? Do I need a permission from the land owner? Different rules for different states?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This site has all of the claims in every western state and they are all up to date! Welcome to Land Matters Just click on maps at the top, then click on mining claims on the right and last click on the state you are interested in. It is built and maintained by one of our members, Clay Diggins, and is the goto for most of us on this forum.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread