Swede coming to Cali/Idaho!

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'm a 29 year old prospector from the city of Stockholm, Sweden. Despite my urban residence, I try to get away and prospect for gold as much as I can. Due to lack of a proper own location to mine, I try to visit as many new countries to prospect in instead.

So far, I found gold in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Scotland, France, Serbia, Czech Republic and Poland. And as of right now, Im waiting for my VISA to be done for finally visiting the US.

I intend to book a flight for 9th of october or a week later, traveling alone and staying some 11 days. I will be landing in San Francisco.

For unknown reasons, Im kinda in love with Idaho since a few years back and the goal is to visit that place and do some prospecting, probably in the mountains above Boise.

I've however been recommended to try panning in Cali aswell, and Heard about some public free-panning location on the Bear River. Where excatly is this one, or are there several locations?

-What does the law say about light prospecting with a shovel and pan only? If I find a Creek in the middle of nowhere, is it free to pan in both Idaho and Cali, or am I most likely intruding on someones land?

-If so, are there claims where the public can pay to pan? Im willing to do so for decent gold rather than getting in trouble or not finding anything.

-Other input, anything else I should know, or visit or do...?

Upvote 0

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I finally had a chance to clean up the cons from our day up American fork. I didn't do a fantastic job, as you can see in the picture, there is still some quartz in the mix. I didn't do what I usually do which is bring home all the cons and classify. I panned it most of the way down in the field. So we probably lost a little bit, hopefully not to much. Goran p.m. a mailing address and I'll get it out to you. I hope you made it to the Grand canyon like you were planning!
View attachment IMG_20171026_174549902.jpg

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, nice gold. It's all yours to keep my friend, you did most of the digging anyway.

As for the flight, I didnt want to take big amounts of black sand aboard, nor did I have the time to carefully pan concentrates and separate fine gold. When airport security sees lots of black powder in a sandwich bag, Im not sure gold panning is the first thing that comes to their minds.

Anyways, yes I did make it to Zions, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Hollywood, Malibu, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Stanford and so on. I got thrown into a pile of work upon my return home to Sweden, so I didnt have too much time to reflect but...darn, this was one nice trip. It might take a while, but I'll be back. Too much fun. Loving the sun. Good company.

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant really get back to normal Life after this trip. It was so nice...warm...sunny...people were fun.

Mostly regret spending too little time in Idaho and just rushing by. I litterary drove like crazy throughout it to meet other deadlines.

I need to re-do this, possibly in may or september. Exploring more of Idaho, Washington, Oregon...possibly going into BC aswell.

So many friendly people. Especially in Idaho, people were approaching me in the general stores and asking me about myself and my plans for the weekend?!

No need to go anywhere but the US for the next vacation...and next one after that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread