metal detector permit does it exist? uwahrrie national forest

wakeforestgold

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
wake forest nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello guys

i have read in one the posts here that one can get a permit to use metal detector. please if someone knows or has been getting one, send me a reply here or send me a private message.
all people here state the general rules in uwharrie national forest but none is giving more information on permits.

hope to hear from someone who knows.

thanks

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google is your Friend .... I suppose so am I :laughing7:

I found these online:

"MINERAL, ROCK COLLECTING AND METAL DETECTING ON THE
NATIONAL FORESTS

It is Forest Service policy that the recreational use of metal detectors and the collection of rocks and mineral samples are allowed on the National Forests. Generally, most of the National Forests are open to recreational mineral and rock collecting, gold panning and prospecting using a metal detector. This low impact, casual activity usually does not require any authorization."

However

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5379632.pdf

notice the Effect Dates Expired, But you should Definitely get official Word on this one. it may have been renewed .

also this

http://www.mdhtalk.org/cf/city-regulation.cfm?st=NC

Last edited:

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the Uwharries NF site, the Uwharries aren't your typical "national forest" and have their own set of rules. Last I checked into it, it was a mortal sin to even carry one there. They are however open to gold prospecting so maybe you could get special written permission if they liked you enough. Dont count on it though.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest that you contact the forest ranger via email to solicit a reply. This will "memorialize" his/her response. Great to have if they ever wish to change history.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some national forests here in Indiana but they aren't as nice here, wish they all had to allow some prospecting.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can speak to the rangers and they will tell you. I was told yes, but they have a designated area they can be used only. The majority is off limits. They will show you where and show the boundaries.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Current NC orders https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/nfsnc/home/?cid=stelprdb5379710&width=full

But once there is a new forest supervisor I think they have to issue new orders, I've never heard of indefinite or until rescinded orders.
this is the new guy maybe a chance to change things; https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD487630

print this out and talk to them; FS rock samples or mineral specimens (36 CFR 228.4(a)) metal detecting overview pdf
if all else fails maybe ask about special use permit or letter of authorization just for areas where panning and mineral collecting are allowed.

Last edited:

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello guys

i have read in one the posts here that one can get a permit to use metal detector. please if someone knows or has been getting one, send me a reply here or send me a private message.
all people here state the general rules in uwharrie national forest but none is giving more information on permits.

hope to hear from someone who knows.

thanks

I sent an email sunday asking about it and the possibility of allowing electric pumps since getting a sluice to work there is really difficult. Haven't seen one back yet... they might actually be thinking about changing it. I made it a point to press that the communities around it are financially dead without tourism and other than horseback riding and hunting most people dont bother visiting. Uwharrie "National Forest" is not a real national forest and they are able to make their own rules so if you appeal to their good side they might give you a pass on it.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suggest that anyone going to Uwharrie get the map showing official boundaries. The Feds own only a small percentage of the forest, the remainder is on a wish list that is owned privately and not subject to federal/state regulation. The FS tries to create an aura of authority that the boundaries indicated on most maps are under their heel... a matter of perception(misleading the public). Be very careful that you find out who owns what, as some areas are "nature conservancy" set asides by the land owners of record. Don't believe all of the signage... some of it is stretching reality/truth by misguided "environmentalist".

Nantahala, Pisgah and the Uwharrie National Forest presently permit ATV activity that really tears up the terrain, but don't you dare bring a dredge into the forest. Verify this info with the "fake news" link by USA Today that follows. ATV Riding Trails in North Carolina | USA Today .

Been there, done the deed without the feds permission or "permits". That's what a shallow draft (9 inches) aluminum jon boat with an inboard jet ski power plant can do. That's why I am using the handle, "sly banker".

jetBoat01.jpg

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Different maps and "Map layers" can give more information as to "Official boundaries".

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best of luck to all who want to go detecting in national forests.

I think you are confusing National Forests with National Parks where metal detecting is strictly prohibited. Only certain parts of some National Forests prohibit metal detecting here in the West if at all and I imagine that that is also true in the Eastern National Forests. There is one caveat though and that is "thou shalt not detect for artifacts anywhere on Federal land".

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I think he may be confusing detecting with gold prospecting. Can't hunt for artifacts in a NF... more than welcome to use a detector when looking for gold. This applies only to west of Mississippi nation forests. Eastern forests are run by nazis... well might as well be.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No I think he may be confusing detecting with gold prospecting. Can't hunt for artifacts in a NF... more than welcome to use a detector when looking for gold. This applies only to west of Mississippi nation forests. Eastern forests are run by nazis... well might as well be.

I cut and pasted this directly from the US Forestry Service web page. If the idiots of the FS get up into you face, remind them of this nationwide policy, as dictated by statute. Read, then smile.
[h=2]Metal Detecting Policy[/h] The restrictions to metal detecting on public lands are to protect historical remains.
The Code of Federal Regulations, (36 CFR 261.9) states, "The following are prohibited: (g) Digging in, excavating, disturbing, injuring, destroying, or in any way damaging any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resources, structure, site, artifact, or property. (h) Removing any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resources, structure, site, artifact, property."
The Archaeological Resources Protection Act (ARPA, 16 U.S.C. 470cc:) also prohibits these activities, stating, "No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove, damage or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resources located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit...” ARPA exempts the collection of coins for personal use if the coins are not in an archaeological context. In some cases, coins may be part of an historical-period archaeological site, in which case they would be considered archaeological resources and are protected under law. These laws apply to all National Forest System land and do not vary from state to state.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Uwharrie "forest" are not "National Forest Lands" so the CFR regs don't apply. Those regulations and laws only apply to the organic National Forests created on the public lands in the western states.

The Uwharrie is a Purchase Unit designated under the Weeks Act and administered by the Forest Service agency. This is true of virtually all the eastern "forests".

The Purchase Unit is a designated area that the United States would like to purchase surface control over. Until the lands are purchased from the private landowners the Uwharrie, for the most part, is just a line on a map. There is a lot more to understand about these Weeks Law Purchase Units that I will be addressing in the future. For now I've made this simple map of the Uwharrie to help you understand why, for the most part, the Forest Service has no right to allow you to metal detect.

In the map below
  • The Uwharrie Purchase Unit "forest" is within the dashed green line.
  • The dark green filled areas are the lands where the United States has already purchased some surface rights
  • The hatched light green areas are still private land.
  • That little red area is where the United States owns mineral rights. Only in the red area could the Forest Service allow prospecting. In all the rest of the "forest" the mineral rights are in private hands and are not owned by the United States.

Purchase_Unit.jpg

A similar situation will be found in nearly all the eastern forests. These are National Forests in name only and for the most part are privately owned. I hope to be able to map these Purchase Units for the public in the next few months. For now study this map so you can understand why the Forest Service rules by local policy rather than law in these Purchase Units.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Uwharrie "forest" are not "National Forest Lands" so the CFR regs don't apply. Those regulations and laws only apply to the organic National Forests created on the public lands in the western states.

The Uwharrie is a Purchase Unit designated under the Weeks Act and administered by the Forest Service agency. This is true of virtually all the eastern "forests".

The Purchase Unit is a designated area that the United States would like to purchase surface control over. Until the lands are purchased from the private landowners the Uwharrie, for the most part, is just a line on a map. There is a lot more to understand about these Weeks Law Purchase Units that I will be addressing in the future. For now I've made this simple map of the Uwharrie to help you understand why, for the most part, the Forest Service has no right to allow you to metal detect.

In the map below
  • The Uwharrie Purchase Unit "forest" is within the dashed green line.
  • The dark green filled areas are the lands where the United States has already purchased some surface rights
  • The hatched light green areas are still private land.
  • That little red area is where the United States owns mineral rights. Only in the red area could the Forest Service allow prospecting. In all the rest of the "forest" the mineral rights are in private hands and are not owned by the United States.

View attachment 1505606

A similar situation will be found in nearly all the eastern forests. These are National Forests in name only and for the most part are privately owned. I hope to be able to map these Purchase Units for the public in the next few months. For now study this map so you can understand why the Forest Service rules by local policy rather than law in these Purchase Units.

Heavy Pans

well said. Tried to warn quite a few people... can't fix stupid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread