Coin Head

Jan 20, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Delta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506960955.944430.jpg
I'm usually pretty good at telling them apart but I'm kinda baffled from this one I always go by the rule gold is spongebob yellow but this is that color but almost seems to shiny to be gold what do y'all think

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are not checking color in full AND in shaded light then you need to do that. Pyrites and the like may have a shiny gold color in full light but the yellow disappears in shaded light......gold will still look like gold/yellow in color, no matter the lighting.

Good luck.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure looks like Gold under magnification but without seeing it in person, there is no way I can be sure. Pick a spot with a solid well formed piece of Gold or Pyrite and press a sharp punch, screw driver or tip of a knife blade into it. If it shatters or flakes, it is not Gold. If it dents but does not shatter or flake, then it is likely Gold.

Frank

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and a 3rd thought...maybe it's both gold and pyrite (pyritic gold).
I've seen samples of pyritic gold, not certain what the proper way to test would be.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and a 3rd thought...maybe it's both gold and pyrite (pyritic gold).
I've seen samples of pyritic gold, not certain what the proper way to test would be.
A better reason to crush and pan. Good idea to do some screening as well and pan each screen size after running a magnet over it.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be chalcopyrite. More of a yellow color
Than normal iron pyrite from the copper content but may also contain gold.. worth a crush and pan or fire assay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread