Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Quartz

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    196 times
    Prospecting
    If you can a picture of the rock opened up would be nice and no need to talk about it. Thank you.

Aug 2017
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I found some quartz rocks that picked up on my metal detector as well. Not as obvious as yours, but I think there's gold in it. It was giving off a strong iron target signal. Then I turned the discrimination on and they really went off. I have been trying to figure out a way to easily dissolve the quartz/host rock, leaving just the gold behind. Pretty difficult to figure out exactly how to do it besides smashing and panning them. I have quite a few of them and don't have a rock crusher. I ended up smashing up a fist sized rock with a sledge hammer inside of an ammo can, and it took FOREVER. I know there's a way to dissolve it, but getting the stuff can be difficult. When I fist tried a couple months back, I had read that vinegar would do it, and so would peroxide. I jumped right into it! What I failed to realize, is that it had to be 30% H202 or greater, still unsure of the vinegar. I tried it and it does absolutely nothing. I have heard that caustic soda/lye would get the job done (still unsure of this). Apparently it is a common drain cleaner, but only a couple brands have high percentages in them. Then there's Hydrofluoric acid and let's face it, I wont be able to get my hands on that. There's Hydrochloric acid, but it seems that this is what people are using to CLEAN their gold nuggets/specimens... I'm still trying to gather the right info. Anyways, great rock man. If I were you, i don't think i would smash it with the amount of visible gold. There may be a good little specimen on the inside. Maybe try to see how to dissolve everything but the gold and maybe a leave a little bit of the Quartz on it.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_curious View Post
    I found some quartz rocks that picked up on my metal detector as well. Not as obvious as yours, but I think there's gold in it. It was giving off a strong iron target signal. Then I turned the discrimination on and they really went off. I have been trying to figure out a way to easily dissolve the quartz/host rock, leaving just the gold behind. Pretty difficult to figure out exactly how to do it besides smashing and panning them. I have quite a few of them and don't have a rock crusher. I ended up smashing up a fist sized rock with a sledge hammer inside of an ammo can, and it took FOREVER. I know there's a way to dissolve it, but getting the stuff can be difficult. When I fist tried a couple months back, I had read that vinegar would do it, and so would peroxide. I jumped right into it! What I failed to realize, is that it had to be 30% H202 or greater, still unsure of the vinegar. I tried it and it does absolutely nothing. I have heard that caustic soda/lye would get the job done (still unsure of this). Apparently it is a common drain cleaner, but only a couple brands have high percentages in them. Then there's Hydrofluoric acid and let's face it, I wont be able to get my hands on that. There's Hydrochloric acid, but it seems that this is what people are using to CLEAN their gold nuggets/specimens... I'm still trying to gather the right info. Anyways, great rock man. If I were you, i don't think i would smash it with the amount of visible gold. There may be a good little specimen on the inside. Maybe try to see how to dissolve everything but the gold and maybe a leave a little bit of the Quartz on it.
    Will take a lot of acid for a rock this size. If a regular carbide drill will work may a line with it a crack open to reduce the rock in to two or more parts. Be sure to metal detect to help find all the larger values before the next step.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links