Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Quartz

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    256 times
    Prospecting
    If you can a picture of the rock opened up would be nice and no need to talk about it. Thank you.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    Minelab GM1000 White's GMZ White's Spectrum XLT
    78 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I found some quartz rocks that picked up on my metal detector as well. Not as obvious as yours, but I think there's gold in it. It was giving off a strong iron target signal. Then I turned the discrimination on and they really went off. I have been trying to figure out a way to easily dissolve the quartz/host rock, leaving just the gold behind. Pretty difficult to figure out exactly how to do it besides smashing and panning them. I have quite a few of them and don't have a rock crusher. I ended up smashing up a fist sized rock with a sledge hammer inside of an ammo can, and it took FOREVER. I know there's a way to dissolve it, but getting the stuff can be difficult. When I fist tried a couple months back, I had read that vinegar would do it, and so would peroxide. I jumped right into it! What I failed to realize, is that it had to be 30% H202 or greater, still unsure of the vinegar. I tried it and it does absolutely nothing. I have heard that caustic soda/lye would get the job done (still unsure of this). Apparently it is a common drain cleaner, but only a couple brands have high percentages in them. Then there's Hydrofluoric acid and let's face it, I wont be able to get my hands on that. There's Hydrochloric acid, but it seems that this is what people are using to CLEAN their gold nuggets/specimens... I'm still trying to gather the right info. Anyways, great rock man. If I were you, i don't think i would smash it with the amount of visible gold. There may be a good little specimen on the inside. Maybe try to see how to dissolve everything but the gold and maybe a leave a little bit of the Quartz on it.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    256 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_curious View Post
    I found some quartz rocks that picked up on my metal detector as well. Not as obvious as yours, but I think there's gold in it. It was giving off a strong iron target signal. Then I turned the discrimination on and they really went off. I have been trying to figure out a way to easily dissolve the quartz/host rock, leaving just the gold behind. Pretty difficult to figure out exactly how to do it besides smashing and panning them. I have quite a few of them and don't have a rock crusher. I ended up smashing up a fist sized rock with a sledge hammer inside of an ammo can, and it took FOREVER. I know there's a way to dissolve it, but getting the stuff can be difficult. When I fist tried a couple months back, I had read that vinegar would do it, and so would peroxide. I jumped right into it! What I failed to realize, is that it had to be 30% H202 or greater, still unsure of the vinegar. I tried it and it does absolutely nothing. I have heard that caustic soda/lye would get the job done (still unsure of this). Apparently it is a common drain cleaner, but only a couple brands have high percentages in them. Then there's Hydrofluoric acid and let's face it, I wont be able to get my hands on that. There's Hydrochloric acid, but it seems that this is what people are using to CLEAN their gold nuggets/specimens... I'm still trying to gather the right info. Anyways, great rock man. If I were you, i don't think i would smash it with the amount of visible gold. There may be a good little specimen on the inside. Maybe try to see how to dissolve everything but the gold and maybe a leave a little bit of the Quartz on it.
    Will take a lot of acid for a rock this size. If a regular carbide drill will work may a line with it a crack open to reduce the rock in to two or more parts. Be sure to metal detect to help find all the larger values before the next step.

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
    148 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508386189.307407.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	905.5 KB 
ID:	1506607
    Four 3/4" holes threw it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508386258.927164.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	944.3 KB 
ID:	1506608
    This is what came out of just the dust drone the roto hammer

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    148 times
    Sorry "from" not drone

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    256 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonGold76 View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508386189.307407.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	905.5 KB 
ID:	1506607
    Four 3/4" holes threw it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508386258.927164.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	944.3 KB 
ID:	1506608
    This is what came out of just the dust drone the roto hammer
    Looks like the holes helped break up the rock. Thank you very much for posting pictures as this can lift the spirit of Charlie Brown a lot....LOL.
    Don't know if there is some 'Jewelry rock there or not'.

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    148 times
    I don't think there is any jewelry rock, but I'm hoping there is a bit more gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    256 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonGold76 View Post
    I don't think there is any jewelry rock, but I'm hoping there is a bit more gold.
    There could be some small areas that are jewelry rock. Maybe the next rock will be better time will tell.

Nov 2017
    Do u know what this is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171105_174103.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	835.3 KB 
ID:	1512898

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    78 times
    Man.. I'm sure the easy way to find out what's inside would be to smash...but that's only instant gratification. If you can keep it a specimen (depending on the inside), it could yield some good $$$. Try to find 2 points with gold on the quartz on opposite sides of the rock and test with an ohm meter. This is how you can figure out if it's 1 continuous wire/nugget/specimen. If the first 2 points don't work, find a different couple of spots and test those. Do this until you find 2 points that give you a reading. This way you know that the area being tested is one solid specimen. I would also urge you to get a geology hammer instead of sledges and drills. This will allow you to chip away, and work around any possible good areas so you can maintain it. The stuff that chips off, crush and pan. The stuff that remains in the rock, dissolve in 35% H202. You can dissolve a smaller piece of rock...you just have to get it smaller. There is a really good video series on YT titled "7788.17 grams massive gold and quartz speciman" and you get to watch the transformation into a brilliant specimen. Then there's another video titled "how to calculate the weight of gold in quartz." Maybe check those out and them decide what to do? There could be something very special/valuable in there . Good luck. Can't wait to read more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app
    Reed Lukens and Assembler like this.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    78 times
    If you don't mind me using the picture above, I can get an answer for you on what that is

Nov 2017
    I dont mind. I just wanna know what it is

Nov 2017
    I dont mind. If your talking to me im very interesed in fonding out what mine is. Thank you

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    78 times
    Oh my bad. I thought you were the OP trying to identify something in his rock after he cracked it open lol

Nov 2017
    That is it cracked open.theyre was a clay like bubble around thw crystals

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links