Why are rocks on top of light sandbar? (Pic)

IowaRiverWalker

Greenie
Oct 9, 2017
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was working a new small creek and found this sandbar with softball sized rock on JUSt the top layer. I dig about 2.5 inches down and its light sands for several feet and I assume clay about 6 feet down from looking at the surroundings.. I did find some very fine gold from the very top layer nothing below. I'm used to the opposite....as I dig deeper I usually run into bigger rocks and heavy material.

Anybody have experience with something similar?

rocklayer.jpg

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A flood deposit that dropped that size rocks.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very simple, water flow and duration is the reason gold is moved on your creek, no flood is the same. As you have seen and tested, a flood capable of moving cobble also moved gold yet a flood that move sand didn't.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very simple, water flow and duration is the reason gold is moved on your creek, no flood is the same. As you have seen and tested, a flood capable of moving cobble also moved gold yet a flood that move sand didn't.
Better said.
If the duration of a big enough flow to carry that size rocks ended or was reduced enough then the rocks drop out there.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working a new small creek and found this sandbar with softball sized rock on JUSt the top layer. I dig about 2.5 inches down and its light sands for several feet and I assume clay about 6 feet down from looking at the surroundings.. I did find some very fine gold from the very top layer nothing below. I'm used to the opposite....as I dig deeper I usually run into bigger rocks and heavy material.

Anybody have experience with something similar?

View attachment 1502976

Go upstream and find a gravel deposit instead of a sand bar ;)

There is the slim possibility flood started cutting through an old channel washing some gravel into the mix while leaving nothing but sand up stream. In that case investigate anywhere you see the water cutting the bank, look for gravel.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the right conditions moved the sand and exposed the cobble, then concentrated the gold.

I've run into this in the desert A LOT.. The cobble didn't get deposited on top of the sand.. The lights moved off and left the heavies.
Concentrating the gold RIGHT ON THE SURFACE.

You said you found some right on the top.. Its already concentrated for you.. scrape it and get some quick easy gold, even if it is small.
Though those rocks are bigger than gravel size... Might be some nice pieces in there.... And it should be EASY digging.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've run into this in the desert A LOT.. The cobble didn't get deposited on top of the sand.. The lights moved off and left the heavies.
Concentrating the gold RIGHT ON THE SURFACE.

You said you found some right on the top.. Its already concentrated for you.. scrape it and get some quick easy gold, even if it is small.
Though those rocks are bigger than gravel size... Might be some nice pieces in there.... And it should be EASY digging.
This is like the case of the glass being half full with the lights being slimmed off for you and just the heaver good stuff left for you. Better dig before the next flood puts some finer gravels over this. Good luck

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen this around metro denver. The two posts above have it exactly right!!

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be more interested in the type of cobble that has been deposited. Are these rocks native to Iowa, such as lime or sand stone or non native such a granite. As was pointed out before, no flood is the same and I would as well suspect the lighter materials have been washed away. If the rocks a local material it may be only worth sampling and moving on. Best of luck, dig deep and keep the color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread