Recommended shrinking or opening 10 national monuments to logging, mining, or fishing

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trump is quietly dismantling Obama's biggest legacy
Recommended shrinking or opening 10 national monuments to logging, mining, or fishing
Most important environmental rules that Trump is reversing - Business Insider
What the rule does: Obama used the Roosevelt-era Antiquities Act — which allows presidents to preserve "objects of historic or scientific interest" as national monuments — to protect roughly 4 million acres of land and several million square miles of ocean.
Current status: In September, the White House recommended changes for 10 monuments including Bears Ears, Utah, Gold Butte, Nevada, and Cascade-Siskiyou, which straddles Oregon and California. Those changes include either shrinking their size or opening them up to "traditional uses" like mining, timber farming, drilling, and commercial fishing.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several ski resorts in Utah, Colorado New Mexico expanded in size and land to be developed by misusing the patenting program.

I read years ago it is part of the reason they stopped funding it.

No one really knows why they made/make the deals they have.

I believe Obamas were legacy prestige actions more than anything (paying forward votes)

Coupled with the NIMBY attitude shared by most Babylonians in this country.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen end the insults and political posts or both will lose the ability to post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If this one's posts with links to news are to political let me know and they will be removed. Thank you.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen end the insults and political posts or both will lose the ability to post.

I was wondering where my post went. I explained to VPNavy but he did not get back to me on this. I will refrain from political posts BUT, some guys DO deserve a reprimand, I saw Nothing friendly in Kevins post, it was meant to agitate and yep it agitated Me.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By nature when we talk about the Government "Taking Away some land that WE let them Manage it IS Political, Government is all about politics, I like what Trump is doing= reversing a lot of Obama's Damage to our country, the Division is the part that sticks in my craw, never before have I seen people so AT each other, I am guilty too. The Gov. thinks it owns a lot of land that Legally it does Not, many of us have done some Heavy learning about the abuses of our gov. when it comes to land use, I want to see my grand kids and theirs be able to enjoy and use Public lands, That is Not the Gov. agenda, they want to take away or restrict use across the country, GRRR I think I better go chop some wood.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This one is pointing out news links so people will have an idea what it happening as far as mining goes. Some of this can be taken as political. This is bound to happen to some extent depending on ones point of view. Still the need to learn what may be happening for miners is the real point here.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering where my post went. I explained to VPNavy but he did not get back to me on this. I will refrain from political posts BUT, some guys DO deserve a reprimand, I saw Nothing friendly in Kevins post, it was meant to agitate and yep it agitated Me.
metal_detector.gif
Just read your PM. FWIW - I was taking care of some urgent business so was a little slow on PMs, etc. I see you are working with Treasure_Hunter. Sorry I didn't get right back to ya.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any updates out there? Thanks

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trump announces plan to shrink two national monuments
By Associated Press
December 4, 2017
https://nypost.com/2017/12/04/trump-announces-plan-to-shrink-two-national-monuments/
WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is announcing plans to scale back two sprawling national monuments in Utah, responding to what he has condemned as a “massive federal land grab” by the government.
Trump is traveling to Salt Lake City on Monday to outline his intention to shrink the Bears Ears and the Grand-Staircase Escalante national monuments spanning millions of acres in Utah. The two national monuments were among 27 that Trump ordered Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to review earlier this year.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thousands of protesters gather to oppose Trump’s proposed reductions to Utah monuments
Posted 4:25 pm, December 2, 2017, by Paul Murphy, Updated at 10:59PM, December 2, 2017
Thousands of protesters gather to oppose Trump?s proposed reductions to Utah monuments | fox13now.com
SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Highway Patrol estimates 4,500 people gathered Saturday at the Utah State Capitol to speak out against President Trump’s plan to reduce the size of the Bears Ears National Monument and the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
Navajo Tribe Attorney General Ethel Branch spoke at the protest and said the five tribes who helped create Bears Ears will sue the federal government if any of the monuments are shrunk.
“This land is special to all five tribes who have come there for prayers, healing and spiritual rites,” Branch said. “I want President Trump to know we will defend Bears Ears together.”
President Trump is expected to come to Salt Lake City on Monday to announce that Bears Ears will be reduced by 85 percent and Grand Staircase-Escalante will be cut in half.
Ute Tribe Business Committee Member Shaun Chespoose said he worked hard as one of the Bears Ears commissioners to create the right size for the monument.
“This monument was the first monument that Native American tribes actually participated in,” Chespoose said. “The five tribes who stood up to protect this are not going to take it anymore. We’re not going to get mad. We’re not going to get angry. We are going to use the law to our advantage.”

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Zinke to ask Trump to shrink two more monuments
By Devin Henry - 12/05/17
Zinke to ask Trump to shrink two more monuments | TheHill
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has recommended President Trump shrink the boundaries of two more national monuments, a day after rolling back protected areas in Utah.
A Zinke-led study into national monument declarations says that Trump should shrink Oregon and California’s Cascade-Siskiyou and Nevada's Gold Butte national monuments by small amounts.
Zinke is also recommending Trump change management plans for six other monuments, allowing for additional grazing, ranching, fishing, hunting and other activities in those locations.
Zinke told reporters Tuesday he is “fairly confident” Trump will accept his recommendations.
“I will be in the president’s office multiple times going through specifics of it as time passes,” he said.
Trump on Monday signed proclamations slashing the borders of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante monuments in Utah, reducing them by about 50 percent and 84 percent respectively. It represents the largest rollback of monument declarations in American history.
Environmentalists and tribes have already sued over that decision, arguing the federal Antiquities Act does not give the president the power to reduce previously declared monuments.
But the Trump administration insists the president can do that, and Zinke said Tuesday that Trump was “absolutely right” to order a review of 27 large monument declarations dating back two decades.
“The Antiquities Act was designed to protect rather than prevent, and no president, under the authority of the Antiquities Act, has the authority to arbitrarily remove the public from their lands, reduce public access, reduce hunting and fishing and reduce traditional uses, unless those uses threaten the object,” Zinke said.
“The president was absolutely right in asking for a review.”
The reductions Zinke announced on Tuesday are smaller than those Trump approved on Monday.
At Gold Butte, a 300,000-acre monument in southern Nevada, Zinke proposed reducing some of the designated area near a water district used by local residents to allow for repairs and infrastructure upgrades. He said that “we have not drawn out the maps specifically, but it’s a small percentage of Gold Butte.”
Zinke said federal agencies are still considering what to do with Cascade-Siskiyou, which stretches over the Oregon-California border. Officials believe some of the protected land should be legally set aside for logging rather than monuments, Zinke said, and they’re considering what to do about private land within the monument borders.
Zinke recommended Trump change management plans for six other monuments. Under his proposal, that could allow for expanded timbering in Katahdin Woods and Waters in Maine; commercial fishing in the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts, Rose Atoll and Pacific Remote Islands Marine monuments; more grazing access for tribes in New Mexico’s Rio Grande Del Norte; and more coordination with the departments of Homeland Security and of Defense around the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks monument in New Mexico.
Zinke is also proposing Trump create three monuments: at Camp Nelson, an 1863 Union Army site in Kentucky; the Jackson, Miss., home of civil rights leader Medgar Evers; and the Badger II Medicine Area, a 130,000-acre section of the Lewis and Clark National Forest in his home state of Montana.

Trump slashes Utah land protections
By Timothy Cama and Devin Henry - 12/04/17
Trump slashes Utah land protections | TheHill
President Trump on Monday shrank two massive, controversial national monuments in Utah, potentially opening thousands of acres to drilling, mining and grazing.
The reductions erase efforts to preserve the monuments by President Obama and President Clinton, and represent the largest-ever rollback of protected areas in history, environmental groups say.
Trump signed two proclamations, one scaling back Obama’s 1.4-million-acre Bears Ears National Monument to 220,000 acres – an 84 percent reduction – and another reducing Clinton’s 1.9-million-acre Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument to 1 million acres.
Both monuments in southern Utah have long been opposed by state leaders. Obama and Clinton created them under the Antiquities Act, which gives presidents authority to unilaterally protect any federally owned area from development, with few restrictions.
“Some people think that the natural resources of Utah should be controlled by a small handful of very distant bureaucrats located in Washington. And guess what? They’re wrong,” Trump said during a visit to Salt Lake City where he made the announcement.
“The families and communities of Utah know and love this land the best and you know the best how to take care of your land.”
Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante had been at the center of a national debate over monuments and their permanence, fueled by an executive order earlier this year in which Trump asked Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to review dozens of previously created monuments.
“Past administrations have severely abused the purpose, spirit and intent of a century-old law known as the Antiquities Act. This law requires that only the smallest necessary area be set aside for special protection as national monuments,” Trump said.
“Unfortunately, previous administrations have ignored the standards and used the law to lock up hundreds of millions of acres of land and water under strict government control.”
Trump made the announcement in the Utah State Capitol alongside the state’s entire Republican congressional delegation. Sens. Mike Lee and Orrin Hatch both spoke before Trump, praising his decision.
“President Trump is many things: he’s the commander in chief, the master dealmaker, and a wildly successful billionaire,” said Hatch, 83, whom Trump is urging to run for reelection next year.
“But he’s also a man who comes through on his commitments to the people of Utah.”
Trump has the support of conservatives and industries that want to use the land.
“We are grateful that today’s action will allow ranchers to resume their role as responsible stewards of the land and drivers of rural economies,” Craig Uden, president of the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, said in a statement.
But Trump faced immediate backlash from environmentalists and American Indian tribes who say his actions threaten sensitive, culturally significant areas. They also see it as an attack more generally on public lands and conservation.
“This is nothing more than political score settling from an administration that doesn’t seem to comprehend the extraordinary value these lands hold for Native American communities and all Americans,” Brian Sybert, executive director of Conservation Lands Foundation, said in a statement.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interior Secretary Zinke rips Patagonia for anti-Trump message
Published December 05, 2017

Interior Secretary Zinke rips Patagonia for anti-Trump message | Fox Business
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke ripped Patagonia on Tuesday, accusing the outdoor retailer of lying when it wrote on its official website that President Donald Trump stole federal land by reducing the size of two national monuments in Utah by roughly two million acres.
An angry Zinke called the claim – made in large type on the company's home page – "nefarious, false and a lie."
Zinke told reporters the land targeted by Trump remains protected because it is still under federal control.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is precedence for the president reducing the size of a monument. Joshua Tree is now a national park of course but along the way it changed shape several times. In one case, specifically to accommodate a mining operation.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is precedence for the president reducing the size of a monument. Joshua Tree is now a national park of course but along the way it changed shape several times. In one case, specifically to accommodate a mining operation.
It has to be "Surveyed each time to be recognized" this includes the lines of the mining operation.
Shows how powerful and important the type of "Survey" that is recognized. The "Surveyor has the final say" in any disputes.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Recommended shrinking or opening 10 national monuments to logging, mining, or...

It has to be "Surveyed each time to be recognized" this includes the lines of the mining operation.
Shows how powerful and important the type of "Survey" that is recognized. The "Surveyor has the final say" in any disputes.

Huh? Another semi-random ‘bot post? Or are you just too busy to explain yourself and your thinking a bit?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep it civil.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used