Very Round Natural Ball While Panning

IowaRiverWalker

Greenie
Oct 9, 2017
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found on the clay layer of a small creek in a section of small rapids. Its heavy and "feels" solid all the way through. Smells like rust. I believe it is a "Moqui Marble" / "Shaman Stone" / Ironite Concretion. I guess it's formed by something mineralizing inside submerged sedimentary rock. But I don't really know. I bet many of you have found this type of thing and know much more about it.

ball1.jpg
ball2.jpg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea but really cool.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a stone cannon ball

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find. My first thought was a healing stone that's rubbed between the palm and the body.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find -- and I bet I know where it is right now (on your desk)
That's where I would have it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could also be a ball from a ball mill somewhere upstream.

Back in the mid 50's we visited friends in Telluride (at the time he was mill super for Idarado there) and he took us up a jeep road to an old mill site through town, up the mountain on the right hand side of the canyon if memory serves. We collected enough stone mill "balls" to fill a cracked, old crock which I think we also found there. The story he told us about the balls was that they were actually imported from Sweden. He also had found many power pole glass insulators that had turned dark purple in the sun over time. I still have one of the insulators but no stones.

Old memories of good times. Telluride at the time was mainly a mining town and has changed so much since then that I hate to go there anymore.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a place near me we call the Upper falls on a small creek, the bedrock holes end up spitting out round balls of rock that start out as an odd shaped rock that goes round and round in these teacup holes I call them, I can get you a box full of them. Funny I was over on the Oregon coast and the tourist gift shops were selling Stone cannon Balls supposedly from square rigger ships, I could have sold a pickup load of the round stones for 20-$30 Each but I am an Honest guy and do Not take advantage of even Greedy gift shop owners.( yeah some of you might call me stupid).

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfinger is right. I call them "boil holes" and they eventually spit out (sometimes) perfectly round rocks.

My grandpa found one that was about 10" in diameter. He packed it home and painted it black. Everybody thinks it's a cannon ball.
As kids we used it for a bowling ball.

Had your rock been found in a village site, you might have had a game ball. Since it was found in the stream bed - it's a boil ball.
Either way, that's probably the origin of your rock.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is a "Moqui Marble" / "Shaman Stone" / Ironite Concretion.
Don't think it is one of them. Here are some moquis I sold on feeBay. Some are roundish and some have a larger ring too. Some claim they are male or female. (the ugly one must be male)

Attachments

• MOQUI-A2.JPG
    MOQUI-A2.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 65
  • MOQUI-B3.JPG
    MOQUI-B3.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 62
  • MOQUI-D1.JPG
    MOQUI-D1.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 66

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread