Hello from Placerville, CA

P

PlacerGuy

Hello everybody, my name's Matt, and I'm a college student living in Placerville (so named for the type of mining), California (right where highway 50 and 49 cross if you're familiar with the area).

I currently live with my parents on some land that contains a good section of a (mostly) year round creek in a semi-remote canyon. The creek has relatively little flow right now, but in spring time it can pick up and be pretty swift and loud, with sand/gravel bars, rapids, and small boulders (as well as nice meanders and slow moving regions). I was thinking about picking up a cheap gold pan and giving it a shot, but I was wondering what to look for specifically. I've heard of people getting diamonds and platinum in the area as well as gold (specifically in nearby Pneumonia Gulch). I actually have an old metal sluice-box in my backyard which seems to be in pretty good shape, and was wondering if there are any special techniques or regulations for using one? The creek probably hasn't been seriously mined/panned/dredged in at least 100 years, but there is still a small diversion stream that the old timers dug which carries some water in winter.

I can't wait to give it a try. My family is out of town for the weekend, and I don't want to head down there alone (had bear/cougars around lately) or lug around a bulky rifle as well as a pan/sluice box, but hopefully I can get out there next week and give a shot! Any advice or tips you'd care to share? (It will be my first time panning since I was very young).

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll never go wrong mining Hangtown. Work only bedrock cracks and crevices with a screwdriver,behind boulders and MOST of all that diversion,it was done for a reason to get water elsewhere and since it's Hangtown it's gold!! Practice your panning with a dozen or so beebees or tiny lead shot. Get your Mamas seive to get out the larger rocks,pan them seperately.Have a ball,you have something special--private property. Any old cabin sites,go to your local historical society for info on the area. Join a club,be it detector,gold or gem and mineral,goldnutz are everywhere and newbies are always welcome too!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
P

PlacerGuy

Hey, thanks for the reply! I was talking to my parents about it, and they seem to think our particular creek was last mined during the great depression, and apparently my father knew a guy who survived the 30's by panning/sluicing in the Hangtown area. That's pretty cool if you ask me. Apparently my father's particular method was to dump sand/dirt into the sluice, let it run for a while, and then pan the remaining material. Besides the sluice box up at my house there is also an aluminum one down at the creek area itself which is still in good condition, so that might be a good route to go. I'm really excited about all this, as we own 600 feet of creek and my Dad (he's an acomplished geologist, so I trust his mineral assesments) apparently has found lots of sand-sized granuals of gold down there, and I guess he used to dredge our creek at our old property (Hangtown creek). They never stuck with it long enough to gather sellable amounts of gold, but they have several vials of gold-flakes in their mineral collection. I'll have to ask him if the dredge is still in working condition. Wish me luck!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tips for the sluice:
1) pre screen the material, removes larger rocks.
2) make sure it's a good sluice
3) look around for likley spots where gold would settle down. (take a test pan to see if gold is present)
4) work the area, get that gold!

The le trap sluice and the DFS sluice seem intresting if your equipment are in poor shape...

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
You may want to try a little number called an EZsluice. Very inexpensive and picks up gold like no other sluice I have ever used. It GREAT for hiking in and sampling areas. I have deemed this one as an absolutely incredible gold finding tool and take my word for it, mine has found its share!

Best o' luck to ya

~Nash~

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Hi Matt,
Check your PM's I sent you some info. A lot of Doodlebug mining went on here during the 30's as a result of the Depression. Some did well others not so well depending on their location. You may need a dredging permit but if your on private property I think you're in the clear. California only issues a scant 3000 dredging permits every year and there is a big push on by the Eco-terrorist to stop that as well. Remember if you want to find gold -- look for it where it has been found before. I'm a El Dorado County historian - writer and I will be releasing version 2 of my mining map
which was first published in 2000. Should be available in a month or so. The map shows where the old mining camps were located regardless of size. It is the most comprehensive mining map made of El Dorado County's western slope.
I've added around 300 - 400 new sites to this new map that did not appear on the first issue. I'd be glad to give you some history of your area. Anyway I left you my number in the PM... I'm in Pollock so we're neighbors. Good luck and happy hunting!!!

Hangman

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this post is old but you will need a dredge permit on private property or not(next season)and they went up in cost.

hipmount

Oct 4, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
3" Keene suction dredge, 2 hand sluices, Garrett Gold Stinger, Whites 6000 di Pro (keeps on ticking) ~ Whites GMT ~ Fisher gold bug 2
Hey Matt ~
Cool to hear from a miner in "P-town". I lived in Pollock Pines for 7 years (Sly Park road, near the firehouse by Jenkinson Lake, Iron Mountain road ...... moved to Alaska in 1992. The LAWS, TAXES and the mountain sure changed since I've been gone ..... I also saw that a lot of 'yuppies' moved to the 'hill'. ::)
"Hold yu'r ground ..... keep yu'r powder dry ..... get that tha'r gold".

hipmount ~

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck kid. Once you get the taste of gold there is no going back. Read books and practice and you have found a life long hobby..

Cooter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread