Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How goes it everybody? Hope everybody is having a good day/weekend...and finding that good ole color!

So I'm in Georgia and Alabama, where there's a good potential for gold (flour/flake), but not a good potential for accessing the land. I've driven all over, gone into the mountains, national forests, etc. I've either stumbled upon private property (most always the case), or very restricted on what I can/can't do (NTL Forest). When in the mountains themselves, there's been no luck, as all the past mines tend to be in the valley below the mountains.

Because of this, I've decided that joining a GPAA will be my best but. The problem is, we are talking about GA and AL where there's no BLM land, and no such thing as public land, so I fear that the GPAA lands accessible are probably very few, and far between. This means that the ones that do exist may be picked over pretty good (at least around the easy to get to areas). That being said, I'm not a member, so this is all speculation.

My questions to you GPAA members are: are there a decent amount of GPAA properties in GA and AL? Do I get access to the entire nations GPAA lands even if I sign up while living in GA/AL? Were there hidden fees and dues, severe restrictions and rules, and anything that made it unenjoyable for you to be a member? And lastly, was it worth it for you to join (do you wish you never joined and just winged it, or will you be renewing your membership?)

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you checked for city and county owned lands in gold bearing areas? Often local government owned lands are your best bets for small scale prospecting. There's gold in the creeks of north and west suburban Atlanta for example and some of that is accessible since it's owned by local government entities.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never been a GPAA/LDMA member.
not to disparage either one or any club, but club claims in general are picked over, even out west.
I've talked to numerous members of both clubs and others, the clubs are social clubs more than anythng.
I've been a member of 2 clubs in AZ, wasn't worth the cheap fee for either. sure, there was gold, but not enough for my liking.
at one club meeting I was at, they talked more about the coin shoot (metal detectors) than they did any talking about gold and the most interesting thing about the meeting was the coffee and donuts.

keep lookin' is the best advice I could give..maybe you can talk a land owner into letting you work there.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to be a snowbird and winter in Az you might really ponder joining LDMA. Unlike most other RV associations the "stay limit" is 6 months compared to some who are 2 weeks. The monthly stay rates are cheaper than almost all other RV locations The location of the LDMA camps make it possible to "get some gold in the pan" and enjoy being around people who do the same thing. Some are novice and some are very experienced miners. You end up being in the middle of "gold country" and that in itself can lead to a lot of productive things. As an LDMA member you are also a lifetime GPAA member. Many old timers of LDMA sell their memberships at a reduced price....as they simply are unable to get out and about anymore.

Bejay

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked for city and county owned lands in gold bearing areas? Often local government owned lands are your best bets for small scale prospecting. There's gold in the creeks of north and west suburban Atlanta for example and some of that is accessible since it's owned by local government entities.
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as public land in Georgia. Anything that isn't a national forest is off limits. Georgia has some pretty strict rules on metal detecting, and the national forests have strict laws on no dredging, sluicing, digging, you name it. It wouldn't be so bad if I was from Georgia and knew people with land, but I'm stationed in Georgia and don't know anybody. In addition to that, the areas that the public can go to are all picked over as well. I paid the fee for alabama gold camp and didn't find a single speck of gold. I just want to get to a creek or river in the middle of nowhere in Georgia's gold belt and try my hand at that. Spots where the property has been in the family for decades/centuries, where the old timers weren't able to get in to. Lol

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nonsense. There's lots of land owned by cities, counties, parks districts, various sorts of local public entities. Much of the creeks on these lands are likely to be open to you if only you do the work to find them.

These lands aren't claimable but who cares? Get the gold!

PS I know Georgians who've done this and gotten good gold. Boom!

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree. Many years ago I found some very nice placer gold on a "state" section. I investigated the possibility of locating a claim on the State owned land. It was almost impossible and very costly so I simply began dredging on the claim. Never told a sole....and the state had no interest in my actions at the time. (It has all changed now however). I would imagine each state and County etc have their own interests today. But gold does exist where no claims can be filed and the miner has the ability to extract that gold. Even wilderness areas can be open to extracting gold.

Bejay

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about using highway easement prospecting under bridges?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about joining a club too. I just want more gold. I think a better idea for me is to buckle down and focus on getting a decent claim of my own to work on though.
Or maybe first I should find some other kind soul in Colorado who would let me work on theirs.

I can already see my cardboard sign I'd hold on the side of the highway.

Please help
Will Shovel
for Gold
God Bless

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nonsense. There's lots of land owned by cities, counties, parks districts, various sorts of local public entities. Much of the creeks on these lands are likely to be open to you if only you do the work to find them.

These lands aren't claimable but who cares? Get the gold!

PS I know Georgians who've done this and gotten good gold. Boom!
Well put me in touch with them and tell them I'm looking for a mentor and super serious about learning lol.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well put me in touch with them and tell them I'm looking for a mentor and super serious about learning lol.

Sorry, can’t do that as I’ve lost touch with both of them but it’s out there. Start checking little suburban creeks, especially in the north burbs...

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are laws forbidding this within so many feet of such structure. I think it has to do with undermining the road or bridge .

Even if it wasn't against the law, you must have no conscience to compromise the safety of a bridge. Like, no. If you want more gold you either need to put in the effort to learn more about all aspects (theres a lot) or find someone that already has. Big name clubs are nothing but snake oil... money better spent elsewhere.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are laws forbidding this within so many feet of such structure. I think it has to do with undermining the road or bridge .

This, I think its 100 feet minimum. Every time I watch a YouTube video of a culvert clean out I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for Ranger Rick.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me, I have driven to MANY creeks. All the ones I have gone to, I have scouted out on Google earth. They're either bordered my houses, or bordered with fences and gates with no trespassing signs every 50 feet. The creek may not belong to anybody, but the land leading up to the creeks (on all sides) are definitely owned, making the creeks inaccessible

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use public bridge right of way to access the streams, I do this often ,don't prospect under or around the bridge, rather travel up or downstream, be sure to stay off the banks be absolutely respectful and perhaps you can gain permission if landowners come along to be sure you are not trespassing, I have had much success in gaining permission this way ,as if you're respectful and responsible they are more likely to be open to discuss access over their land,

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The creek/river always belongs to someone. Each State is different in it's water and stream bed ownership laws.

Most States allow the public to travel (float/boat) on navigable rivers. There is a big difference in the right to use the water for transportation and mining the bed of the stream. Just because there is a water access or use right does not mean the stream bed is open to public use.

In Georgia it appears property owners own the water and stream bed on non-navigable rivers and streams.

Navigable in Georgia does not mean that a boat can make way or timber etc can be floated. Navigable means commercial river traffic like barges and container ships. Few rivers in Georgia qualify as navigable under Georgia law due to the fact many barges are over 200 feet long, and few rivers would be able to support such boats. For example the Chattooga, Chestatee, and Toccoa rivers are all classed as non-navigable.

In Georgia you can assume that your average stream or river bed is privately owned. Basically that means no water sports and no mining on those streams without the permission of the owner.

I realize that some private property owners don't seem to mind if you treat their land as if it were public but mining is a far cry from walking, fishing or boating. Be respectful and responsible as loco oro suggested and communicate with the property owners in the area you want to prospect. Done right you might gain a great mining spot and a friend. :thumbsup: As Kevin posted earlier there are probably some prospecting opportunities related to State or municipal lands if you can't get permission from a property owner.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions