Gold and Friendship

fancythomas

Oct 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time poster here, long time reader. Thanks to all (hosts and moderators especially) for making treasurenet.com the virtual trove of treasure that it is.

I am a self taught junior prospector. A rookie you might say. But I can find gold. I have a real knack for it.
I wanted to share this story: Yesterday I went with a friend (20 yrs) who has shown some interest in prospecting for some time. He has never seen raw gold before and couldnt pan a marble out of beach sand, but has claimed a real interest in wanting to try and to learn. Well, I was working on a job and I stopped by to see him. Long story short we took a walk to retrieve my deerstand that i had let him borrow. When I saw that it was beside a dried out flood stream, i suggested that we pan some gravel. two pans, five minutes later, he had a vial of gold with beautiful flecks of nice sized coarse gold, pretty as you ever saw. Instead of being excited about "our find", he basically pocketed the gold and I got the feeling I wasnt welcome anymore. It was a weird feeling walking out of the woods. On that walk I realized how lucky I was that for two small flakes I learned how shallow the friendship really was. He acted as if I stumbled on some treasure that he had long known about. It was just weird. I couldnt help but think that this feeling was an old story of mankind. Two men walk into some lost cavern and find some gold, one man comes out. It was just weird. I cant really explain it. But gold does funny things to people. Or maybe Im the weirdo. I dont know. Thanks for letting me ramble. sorry if its the wrong forum.

Upvote 0

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bpete

Oct 16, 2017
Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that friend of yours may end up surprising you. or maybe he will end up just being a good hunting friend and not too interested in the gold as you are.

OP
OP
F

fancythomas

Oct 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the other day my friend and I were talking about other things and he brought up the "discovery". We are going back after hunting season ends and get to work on some recovery. He said Fifty Fifty, I countered and suggested 1/3 for me 2/3 for him. We are going to start with my 24" sluice, My cradle rocker (Flood stream) for backup, and of course, some pans. We are both excited. Gold and Friendship!

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the other day my friend and I were talking about other things and he brought up the "discovery". We are going back after hunting season ends and get to work on some recovery. He said Fifty Fifty, I countered and suggested 1/3 for me 2/3 for him. We are going to start with my 24" sluice, My cradle rocker (Flood stream) for backup, and of course, some pans. We are both excited. Gold and Friendship!

I believe your friend is the one I pointed out where to go to find gold easy, of course I got a message saying "I didn't dig where you told me, didn't find as much as I wanted" so I drew a picture. Haven't heard back. Your friend is shady.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone I find gold with we do splits.

Doesn't matter who actually finds it.

Same here bud. It's not like I'm finding ounces a day or anything but if I have a buddy who wants to help me dig in some of the spots I know of we can do anywhere from one to four grams in a day. I always lay down the 50/50 rule before we even start digging, otherwise they can go up or down stream and dig on their own. :)

Oh yeah and welcome bud! I don't get a chance to post a lot but the folks here (for the most part) are very friendly and helpful. Lots a luck finding gold and maybe some better friends.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions