Questioning Dowsing for Gold & Gems

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can some of you share any experiences positive or negative regarding dowsing for gold & gems. I have property in Western North Carolina on which I've found gold, rubies, sapphires, garnets, etc. I recently encountered a dowser while I was out of town who inquired about where my property was and I told him and he pulled up a map of my property and proceeded to tell me where gold and gems were located and it was in a location different from where I have found it in the past and not located where the 1800-1900 gold miners mined. He came to my place and sure enough the dowsing rods which even I used indicated gold in the location he had indicated on his map. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. The depth he indicated would require some digging so the jury is still out on whether to dig or not. Let me know your thoughts.

Didn't post on Dowsing Forum so I could get some unbiased opinions. Thanking you in advance.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To thine own self be true-dig and prove it to yourself as us not being there negates the facts. Works for some, not so others. Seems to be a need based art and not greed. Just my own personal opinion. Seen it work many times and also not. John

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dowsing is meta-physical or at least paranormal and relies on the users own "energy"...or at least from what I have heard. I personally dont believe in it. I have a scientific mind and this sort of thing cannot be supported in science....so I am an extreme skeptic. I have tried it, didn't work at all for me but then I am a heathen non believer. :hello:

I once had a well driller come out and break off a forked stick and shake it around the property. He said the water is right there...X I didn't care where he drilled because his location was 20 feet from the platted location so I turned him loose. He found water and it was just as deep as he said. To be fair, he could have dug anywhere on the 5 acres and the water would have been there and about that deep because everyone else in the valley had wells about the same depth.
He told me about dowsing and said "his electrical body energy" is what allowed him to dowse and it was so strong he was unable to wear a mechanical watch for more than a week without it dying... :icon_scratch:

I have read that you can dowse for anything you are looking for, not just metal...but you have to believe.

That said, I would flap an umbrella in a snowstorm if it lead me to the gold! :occasion14:

Last edited:

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge was an offer by the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) to pay out one million U.S. dollars to anyone who can demonstrate a supernatural or paranormal ability under agreed-upon scientific testing criteria. A version of the challenge was first issued in 1964, and over a thousand people applied to take it, but none were successful. The challenge was terminated in 2015."

Simply put not one person or organization rose to the challenge to prove dowsing worked.

I remain a skeptic.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a believer in physical/ethereal (on-site) dowsing, but the psychic/astral stuff (map dowsing) is so much more unreliable. One famous dowser said unless a person knows what they are doing, map dowsing is like one in ten-thousand chance. The fact the guy did not hit the known location I'd be highly skeptical. On the other hand, if there is gold in the area you never know. Just because his results concurred with his map dowsing is not proof of anything--almost the opposite. Map dowsing is not going to get you right on the spot. So if he hit the same spot, my suggestion is don't dig there. Basically that is what I say about all map dowsing--odds say it is not on that spot.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can do it, but no one else in my family can. Apparently, anything conductive can cross the wires, as overhead wires, sewer/water pipes, and water all give indications.

Given that all these objects are moving in the Earth's magnetic field, a CEMF should be generated with it's own magnetic field. The resistivity of the human body and the antennas may form a crude meter movement. Differences in body resistivity may determine whether it works or not.

That's about as scientific as I can figure it out.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one-in-ten-thousand odds has to do with the person not understanding what it's all about. Typically they say I can map dowse but when I get to the site it's not there. What is there is mineral pockets. Then they say there are no mineral pockets around here. So there are asked are there any plants around there. Yes. Well, there are minerals here, there, and everywhere. And if the person does dowse the same spot as was map dowsed, it's like dowsing a visible target--very hard NOT to hit it even though there are many times when the earth's magnetic field is volatile and the dowsing will not work. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy to hit that spot. And my biggest beef with the forum map dowsers is they refuse to study the map dowsing, refuse to learn meditation, refuse to practice daily with feedback. It takes years of daily feedback. Well, that's all okay as long as YOU do all the work and expense digging.

All you have to do is look on the dowsing page. You would spend a month counting all the thousands of X's and O's they put on the maps/photos. As I say, you would think maybe they would get lucky now and then. And I'm not saying it can't work, just that there aren't more than a handful of real map dowsers in the world. Look at the military Stargate program. The best talent in the country and they couldn't keep that running with all the free govt money. I know, I sound totally negative. i probably know more about it than the ones who claim they know. And thumbing their nose at anyone who dares to disagree with them is a lot easier than really working at it to learn. Honestly I think there are mostly imposters.

Last edited:

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm at in the High Desert, Water is deep-1200-1500 ft, long story short a local well driller said he had an Old Dowser that could save time and money, so the Gent shows up, makes a loop up the dry creek, then stops right next to the driveway 80 yards from the house, he crossed up on the rods and said that we would hit a main Aquifer, at 5-600 ft, Well, is Well because it is in a Main Aquifer at 520ft ran to 680, since 83 it has been one of the best Wells on the Mountain Flats.

We watered 10 acres 24-7 for two weeks once and water level stayed the same, it is 99.89% pure and sweet.

I have seen a few other dowsers at work and it is uncanny to me.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember if a person is such a good map dowser they wouldn't have to beg for other people's gold. They would be working on their own project.

Whenever I point out some error these imposters will quickly start touting that. Like the fact that map dowsing is not accurate so when they hit the same spot as they map dowsed it's probably wrong. Or as I say, if they put mark on the map, there ain't no gold there.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's areal treasure to be had out there. Forrest Fenn has photos of it. Told a lot about it. It's been a few years now and no map dowser has found it. No rules, no catch-all phrases, no fees or lawyers contracts. That ought to be a wake-up call.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago the saying was anyone who owned a metal detector shop was really out to steal treasure leads from the customers. You let one wrong word slip and they go get it. There's an old saying from the Roman Empire days, "Nothing is new under the sun." And least of all, human nature. Internet spammers have techniques to get info from you. Beware, I ain't joking.

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all, the jury is still out on this until I see results however I told the dowser that I would be willing to share 50% of finds if he paid for the costs incurred before he came to property and it didn't seem to deter him. He is supposed to come back later, said solar flairs were interfering before we finished. I've had limited experience with finding water and power lines with L rods, I contribute that to possible energy given by each but am a lot more skeptical when it come to map & mineral dowsing. Will post later if any results become available.

distribuidorUSA

Dec 11, 2012
Strathmore Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are My two bitcoins...if Dowsing was proven to be effective. then there wouldn't be any need for metal detectors and GPRs and many more proven locators..Dowsers would command higher salaries than Apple or Microsoft CEOs..because mining companies would hire them to locate the best deposits that are for grabs.they are still around just because once in a while they actually find something. But that's because the odds are there.dowsers and hand readers are very similar in nature.

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send me the location, as close as your willing to part with, i will look at a pretty good geology map and aeromagnetic map see what it says, Dowsing probaly reacts with the magnetics in the rock. Traced my family back to GA or SC though i was born in AZ. Let me know.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mom cant wear a watch either. No matter what kind of watch or when the battery has been replaced, about a week later its dead. weird.

He told me about dowsing and said "his electrical body energy" is what allowed him to dowse and it was so strong he was unable to wear a mechanical watch for more than a week without it dying... :icon_scratch:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know how map dowsing could work, but last summer I made L rods out of thick copper antennae wire and they actually crossed up over water. It was weird but it happened. I've never tried it with gold. That was my first experience with them.

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dowsing is complete non-sense. It has been proven multiple times through testing that the "best" dowsers in the world cannot produce the results they claim. Here is information on many of the tests that have been done https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing#Studies

If you have had luck with dowsing personally it is exactly that; luck.

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom cant wear a watch either. No matter what kind of watch or when the battery has been replaced, about a week later its dead. weird.

I'm sorry but ya right. Go get her a watch and put some brand new batteries in it.

Come back in a week so you can tell us how your Mom is perfectly normal and the watch is working great.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. I could really care less if you believe me or not. I have nothing to prove to you. I have seen it personally. I cant explain why it happens but it does. No one said my mother isn't normal by the way.

Someone piss in your cheerios yesterday morning?

I'm sorry but ya right. Go get her a watch and put some brand new batteries in it.

Come back in a week so you can tell us how your Mom is perfectly normal and the watch is working great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread