Please recommend a Metal Detector for this specific mining purpose:

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have access to a site that produces the small nuggets depicted in the attached photo. There are also plenty of smaller gold particles, that also count.

I wish to detect these in quantity before determining where to dig.

I need a portable detector that is very sensitive and detects as deep as possible, but weighs less than 30 Kg.

I favor sensitivity over discrimination, as there is no trash or other metals present at the mine site.

I'd like the main detector also to work on quartz rock to determine if there are veins of gold deep inside, before I blast the rock.

I also would like to have a separate miniature detector to lower with a rope down a small deep hole (like a drilling core) made to see if near bedrock there is a lot of gold. I have seen some the size of a flashlight.

Thanks to any and all responses, in advance.

Attachments

• nuggets.jpg
    nuggets.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Budget?

Minelab GPX 5000 / Minelab GPZ 7000

Minelab Goldmonster 1000

Fisher Goldbug II

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

Whites GMT

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Terry gives you a good list. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Research each.

Time me for more coffee.

OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I saw a video for the "Minelab Goldmonster 1000", that missed some big nuggets. That's just not acceptable.
I really do not want/need the "discrimination" feature. Something that detects as deep as possible and is still portable.
What's the price tag for the best, most reliable and durable?. They seem to be within a few thousand $ in price.
Thanks again.
Cuchu

OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry gives you a good list. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Research each.

Time me for more coffee.
Is the Minelab GPZ 7000 the "state-of-the-art"?. I read it detects 17" deep, small, medium and big nuggets, also that it compensates for noisy mineralisation areas?. The others seem to be priced too low.

What's the best pinpointer you can recommend?. I learned long ago, that more often than not, quality carries a premium price.

Also thanks to Terry for original answer and instructive youtube video.

Cuchu

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any gold type of detector will work depending on how you plan to use. The coil size may be a big factor on the type of targets found and how close the coil can get near the targets to even detect as it may have only a few inches of range at most depending on the background mineral targets. On any free loose rocks any gold type of detector will work just by turning the rock for the coil to scan all parts of the rock. The placer types of targets may be harder to metal detect if there is a lot of minerals in the area. A smaller coil will help out here. Any small metal detector you can lower down a hole will give some information as it goes down the hole can also be a pain to do. No one metal detector / coil setup is going to detect all sizes of intended targets. How ever any gold type of detector will help to pinpoint areas of interest better then just one's eye's alone.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best detector that will give you some depth on small nuggets/ pickers is Minelabs SD2300
They are super simple to operate turn on and go detectors and offer a much higher sensitivity than the GPX series.
For dig and detect operations I wouldnt mess with anything else, period!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the Minelab GPZ 7000 the "state-of-the-art"?. I read it detects 17" deep, small, medium and big nuggets, also that it compensates for noisy mineralisation areas?. The others seem to be priced too low.

What's the best pinpointer you can recommend?. I learned long ago, that more often than not, quality carries a premium price.

Also thanks to Terry for original answer and instructive youtube video.

Cuchu

The Minelab GPZ 7000 is "The King" of gold metal detectors - US$8,000.00 :skullflag:

OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all, specially Terry for the answers. In another forum, someone mentioned the brand Garrett as making good pinpoint, and other detectors in general. Opinion?.
Cuchu

edit: Never mind. I watched Terry's video again and the pinpointer was Garrett. Enough said.

Ordered this for now:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an independent video demo of the Minelab GPZ 7000, by someone not related to Minelab?. Found some youtube videos.

Is there a way to test the equipment, before purchase?.

Also look at this. Is it real or just sales propaganda?.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may want to first try cutting down say 2-5" down at a time with equipment then detect again in the small area's where the above gold was found. Any gold type of metal detector should be able to find some values. Try to even find any gold with a metal detector before bringing in a more expensive detector in the area where the gold was found. There may not be enough values to offset any more investment no matter what the price is.

Good idea to use say 2-3 different size coils as well as one is cutting down say 2-5" at a time in the dirt or rock materials. Do you have the ability to blast in rock?
The gold looks like it may not have traveled far. Maybe you can start finding it in some rock soon? The metal detector in general will not scan as deep in solid rock.
Running a magnet over the dirt may cut down on "Hot rocks" before detecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Assembler. Yes the main idea is to find the mother vein in rock, and areas with a lot of nuggets. I do blast both rock and to soften up placer dig areas. I plan to drill holes and lower the pinpointer detector down, and explore only the promising ones.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Assembler. Yes the main idea is to find the mother vein in rock, and areas with a lot of nuggets. I do blast both rock and to soften up placer dig areas. I plan to drill holes and lower the pinpointer detector down, and explore only the promising ones.
Any gold metal detector will help one find some hot spots within rock. The pinpointer detector down a drill hole should give a fair amount of information on the way down. Since you or someone with you can blast it may not take to long to really test the small area out for values.

OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Assembler. Along the Garrett Pro pinpointer, I will bring along a borrowed second hand Garrett AT Pro Waterproof Metal Detector to try it out. Maybe that's all I need. I'm not ready to splash out $8,000 just yet. Again thanks to all members who responded.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. I saw a video for the "Minelab Goldmonster 1000", that missed some big nuggets. That's just not acceptable.
I really do not want/need the "discrimination" feature. Something that detects as deep as possible and is still portable.
What's the price tag for the best, most reliable and durable?. They seem to be within a few thousand $ in price.
Thanks again.
Cuchu

I think I know the video your talking about and those users didn't know how to use the machine. They were comparing the gm 1000 to a gpx 5000 and sdc 2300 which is like comparing apples to oranges. The gm 1000 will tune out nuggets if you sweep over them over and over and over again because of its auto ground balance. If you got extremely mineralized ground then i'd go with a pi unit.

OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a different type of device, but I though I'd ask here anyway:
Anyone familiar with the use of a gravimeter?. (Cost is about $100K, but let's just say that it seems to read really deep!).

OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I know the video your talking about and those users didn't know how to use the machine. They were comparing the gm 1000 to a gpx 5000 and sdc 2300 which is like comparing apples to oranges. The gm 1000 will tune out nuggets if you sweep over them over and over and over again because of its auto ground balance. If you got extremely mineralized ground then i'd go with a pi unit.
Thanks CA. I'm very rookie myself, so I appreciate the input.

OP
OP
C

cuchugold

Greenie
Oct 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again guys:
Has anyone tried the "Garrett ATX Pulse Induction Military Grade Metal Detector" ?
How does it compare to the high end Minelab detectors?.

ponderosabob

Dec 20, 2014
Dayton, NV
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5
Fisher Gold Bug
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Tesoro Sidewinder
Fisher 1235-X
Fisher 1266-x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re: Minelab GPZ

The Minelab GPZ 7000 is "The King" of gold metal detectors - US$8,000.00 :skullflag:

Yup!

Must be near solid 14k for that price.

....and one helluva marketing dept.

as for their capabilities - might be slightly more sensitive - but just how deep are you willing to dig for that tiny particle? IMO - ain't worth it. Time is money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread