Test Panning for GOLD - Video

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In this video I test pan an area of interest to setup my big final trip of the year.

The specs of gold here are nothing huge but if you multiply it by 30 - thats what we hope to get on our last trip of the year!

I pan things out now a bit slower. I use the blue pan primarily because the gold shows up better in the pan with that blue background!

If you are interested in subscribing to my youtube channel, click here:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCXs3GbinntAgeEV1YLHi9eQ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, I just gotta say it, you're still pretty green. The super fines just weren't there and your losing them in the beginning. All of the rocks should have been cleaned a bit better. Instead of classifying into the pan, take 2 buckets, fill the one bucket with water at your panning spot, then classify and wash into your bucket. What this does is break up the mud and rocks a lot more and it allows the mud that was filling your pan and robbing the super fines, to get cleaned out of the bucket, classified and washed over the sides and out of the bucket, before it goes into your pan! Take one of the big rocks that you tossed and hit it with a brush, scrape out the cracks and then pan it by itself. If there's no gold then it's no big deal but usually, I get more gold by cleaning it out of the larger rocks. It was a good video, but it just showed that we all always need more practice anyway :)
YouTubes not opening your channel tonight but the video played great and I will subscribe when I can get it to load :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fixed the link, thanks!

Reed - 8 months ago, I had never held a gold pan in my life. All my videos up to this point is documenting my journey to becoming a panner/prospector. I still have a ways to go but post on this forum for this exact type of feedback, so thank you =) On this trip I was just doing some real quick test panning (only had about an hour). I went back to the dig site where we hit a gram on my previous trip and test pan the layers to see where the best gold was. I honed in on it here which was my only goal. I just got back from our final trip -- using this information we almost doubled our previous total with some nice chunks and a cool small nugget! So the mission was a success! I will post that video next week.

I dunno, I just gotta say it, you're still pretty green. The super fines just weren't there and your losing them in the beginning. All of the rocks should have been cleaned a bit better. Instead of classifying into the pan, take 2 buckets, fill the one bucket with water at your panning spot, then classify and wash into your bucket. What this does is break up the mud and rocks a lot more and it allows the mud that was filling your pan and robbing the super fines, to get cleaned out of the bucket, classified and washed over the sides and out of the bucket, before it goes into your pan! Take one of the big rocks that you tossed and hit it with a brush, scrape out the cracks and then pan it by itself. If there's no gold then it's no big deal but usually, I get more gold by cleaning it out of the larger rocks. It was a good video, but it just showed that we all always need more practice anyway :)
YouTubes not opening your channel tonight but the video played great and I will subscribe when I can get it to load :)

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the videos you make,keep them coming, green or not, you are out there making it happen and that's what it takes, getting gold in the east is not easy for a lot of reasons, so small success, is still success, 8 months green....not bad bro keep at it.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 months? That works :)
When you classify into a wet bucket all of the mud can be washed out and you will get lots more because that mud acts like glue and traps the gold particles. If you can, wash it until the water is clean, you will be smiling :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread