davidhutto

Greenie
Sep 18, 2017
Leesville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you guys think it's better to expand the amount of trips one can go on, while maximizing the potential gains of a trip, by prospecting for the element rich in particular gold carrying areas?

Also, if you already do this, are refineries easy to bargain with, or would it be worth it to do the extraction on my own?

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure I understand the question.
Going on more trips and targeting higher paying areas as opposed to what?

OP
OP
D

davidhutto

Greenie
Sep 18, 2017
Leesville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure I understand the question.
Going on more trips and targeting higher paying areas as opposed to what?

Like if I was to go to mindat.org, and find out that beryllium was in the area in beryl. If I plan my prospecting around more than gold itself.

It's what I want out of the hobby...element collecting from rocks, and refining, because for me it is maximizing the hobby's profitable side for more return on a group's trip.

I was wondering if anyone else is like minded, or if it's a one track mind, then I'd like to search for more secondary things when others are through with their search/claim for just gold, even if it's just for a cleanup cut of what I can dig up.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like if I was to go to mindat.org, and find out that beryllium was in the area in beryl. If I plan my prospecting around more than gold itself.

It's what I want out of the hobby...element collecting from rocks, and refining, because for me it is maximizing the hobby's profitable side for more return on a group's trip.

I was wondering if anyone else is like minded, or if it's a one track mind, then I'd like to search for more secondary things when others are through with their search/claim for just gold, even if it's just for a cleanup cut of what I can dig up.

The irony of the few who talk about the difficulty of gold mining and mining law.

It can cost more and is typically more involved and creates more surface disturbance to mine other minerals.

Asking the above questions indicates you should probably stay with gold prospecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest snipe hunting. :skullflag:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you know or have the tools for mining said elements? Know the marketability ? I'll assume you do at least have an idea.

Beryl? I guess if you ID paying amounts... other "elements". I have iron/tungsten in large amounts. I've thought about it.

Mining it for the iron? Probably not. Selling it for other purposes, maybe.

If you have specimens with value to someone, who knows?

I'd say stick to gold. But what do I know. My teenager wanted to mine Bitcoin when it was a dollar. "It'll never catch on...."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have found that it's pretty easy to branch out with your gold prospecting into collecting other gems and minerals. Nice crystals, gem-quality garnets, and copper minerals are an example of what can easily be found and collected in the same area you are gold prospecting or mining.
Take it a step further and start looking for the high-grade ore the old timers pulled from the earth long ago.

Ore specimens have considerable value to collectors. A lapidary saw goes a long way in this pursuit.
I'm getting just as big a kick looking for ore these days as I do small-scale gold mining. Walking around with a loupe and a detector is easy duty compared to pulling gold from the earth by hand... which I will argue is the most physically difficult work there is.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early morning sarcasm emoji missing....

Everyone knows that the recreational beryl prospectors have ruined it for everyone anyways...

All the sapphire club claims are pounded.

Let's not get started on Uranium or zinc...

Or we may have th get started on Zinke

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends I guess...

I've got one little spot where somebody stripped part of a spider vein right on the surface, and left about half the "ore"...

There is a TINY amount of gold in it, but it is LOADED with lead... LOADED!!!!

One of these days, when I'm bored I'll get back and play with that pile again..
I've got a 100lbs of "ore" still sitting around that I haven't felt like playing
with for quite some time... Not shiny enough.

But real work pays better... And gold is shiny... So I'm in no hurry.
I enjoy GOLD fever... Lead fever puts you in the ground.

20886125699_2c301b9866_c.jpg

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lead Bobw, That,s what I usually find metal detecting. I think I am doing my part to clean up the planet, and make a few fishing weights.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold mining is hard enough I couldn't imagine walking around picking up more rocks! :dontknow::icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread