Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Worst prospecting equipment you have used?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    665 times
    Prospecting
    I missed one, the roaring camp pan, I have the red one, I love the color and the pan itself has a good shape but that trap in the bottom under the cheater riffles screws me up every time, I have been thinking about maybe filling it in with bondo.

Nov 2013
    Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a Number 2 Shovel baby!
    1254 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The single most disappointing, back breaking, arthritis in your thumbs pain in the keester combination of:

Classifier and 5 gallon bucket.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAAIMTHIRSTY.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	1516660
    Stay Fluid My Friends
    Asmbandits, 1637 and Lanny in AB like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10370 times
    Prospecting
    Omg i love this P70...stay fluid my friends indeed!!
    Prospector70 and Oddjob like this.

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    635 times
    Prospecting
    I haven't really used any bad equipment. The worst I can say I've seen was the guy trying to sell the 5 gallon bucket classifier with a washer built in for $185.00.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    789 times
    The Mckirk sluice.

Jul 2016
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by B H Prospector View Post
    The Mckirk sluice.
    Why? Which model? I have two and they work just fine!

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    380 times
    Prospecting
    Pyramid Pro pan.

Especially for the price.

I use it as a funnel now.

Charter Member
    us
    Owner

Dec 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Gold Bug 2
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Martin Miller Table, BUT it could have been user error....in fact I'm pretty sure it was user error.
    Hamfist and Oddjob like this.
    David Vigil
    Sunny Mountain Prospectors
    3007 N. El Paso St
    Colorado Springs, CO 80907

us
    Mar 2013
    51 times
    Prospecting
    The tri folding backpack sluice.... couple of brands out there but they all look to be the same manufacturer just rebranded.

Never owned one but worked side by side with a buddy that had one. That sluice twists badly and loses gold at each folding joint. He modified it a bit... glued the joints and bolted them so they couldn't fold any more but was still not rigid enough to stay square and flat. Great idea but too cheaply made. I wanted that as my first piece of gear originally. Fate had other plans for me.

Other then that the Turbo Pan I do own... don't like it in the slightest.... serves as a bucket cover these days. Learned to just pan better and accurately (bump method) .... since then never been tempted by hoopa joop pans. I like a wide deep riffle GPAA or Garret pan. Bout the only thing the GPAA is good for.

Oh yeah that reminds me.... The Tom and Perrys cleanup gutter sluice... they didn't even cut the ribbed mat right. Works marginally, very little holding capacity. Better off learning how to pan right then messing with that junk.

Saw a 2.5 highbanker/dredge listed in this thread.... agree that they work really well if you shovel the top material into the hopper and just use the nozzle for crevice detail and bottom of hole cleanup. With a nozzle guard you can just leave the nozzle in the hole to keep a steady feed of material while you shovel. They work good enough for those lazy days sitting in the creek too. I used mine mostly in a shallow bedrock laden creek... loved it. Was the perfect transition from 10" shovel sluicing to the next step of making a hopper for highbanking... later adding a dredge hose and nozzle for the best of both. You don't have to buy it all in a day.... its nice to have your equipment grow with you.

Most importantly it can get you in many spots a 4" or larger can't... in heavy hit places that makes a big difference on the gold take.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    380 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Mountain Prospector View Post
    Martin Miller Table, BUT it could have been user error....in fact I'm pretty sure it was user error.
    I don't think it's you. Miller tables are slower and less efficient than semi-competent panning.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11360 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamfist View Post
    I don't think it's you. Miller tables are slower and less efficient than semi-competent panning.
    slowest finishing device, requires too much babysitting.

Blue bowl is better its like an endless miller table and you don't need a paintbrush.

Classify and run in batches and its super quick.

us
    Mar 2013
    51 times
    Prospecting
    I liked the blue bowl a lot.... it does work great but like the miller table its a slow process.... seemed to have a higher recovery rate then the miller table. (some gold will just roll right off of it)

But damn if I didn't spend the good part of a day using it to clean a days worth of dredging running each classification.

Now a days I just put a 16x36 wide drop riffle on the end of my dredge when I do a cleanup... cut the flow down to idle and pull each part and let it run through the drop riffle into a mason tub. At worst I have only found 3 specks in the tub. Nice part is I only have a small pans worth of cons to go through and it gives me a fast show of how good or not the spot is I am in.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1143 times
    Prospecting
    I missed this topic 1st time around and it should be a sticky on top to help newbies avoid the mine the miner traps and get good and bad reviews before falling for the late$t/olde$t gimmick$.

That being said, my worst experience with mining equipment, excluding myself, is Docs flow pan because it works so well and I spend too much time bent over that it hurts my back to work it, and to squat stream side panning I need someone to help me stand up again.

The best equipment I've used is very subjective....For the beach black sands but is very time consuming is the Gold Cube, or my homemade sluice with vortex mats.
    In the river I love my MacKirk Foreman with material classified to 1/4", for dredging, my 2.5" with my quad jet and even with the 6 pack sucks as much material as a 3"+ with a smaller high pressure pump on my sluice loaded with Doc's mats.
    Nuff said
    oneguy and wildminer like this.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    etrac, GM 1000
    666 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mike(swWash) View Post
    I missed this topic 1st time around and it should be a sticky on top to help newbies avoid the mine the miner traps and get good and bad reviews before falling for the late$t/olde$t gimmick$.

That being said, my worst experience with mining equipment, excluding myself, is Docs flow pan because it works so well and I spend too much time bent over that it hurts my back to work it, and to squat stream side panning I need someone to help me stand up again.

The best equipment I've used is very subjective....For the beach black sands but is very time consuming is the Gold Cube, or my homemade sluice with vortex mats.
    In the river I love my MacKirk Foreman with material classified to 1/4", for dredging, my 2.5" with my quad jet and even with the 6 pack sucks as much material as a 3"+ with a smaller high pressure pump on my sluice loaded with Doc's mats.
    Nuff said

Got a chuckle from your post about the Flow Pan..... First I saw the promo video it hurt my back just watching it....lol I also have the Foreman and although I have pretty much switched over to detecting instead of sluicing I will NEVER part with my AM box!!!!!

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1969 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    These days..... Pretty much everything...LOL
    mytimetoshine likes this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links