Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Worst prospecting equipment you have used?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    3064 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Original Hog pan!. Thank God I unloaded mine on Ebay... Phew...
    Goldwasher likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

us
    Executive Director of Nothing

May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    675 times
    Oh, without a doubt that would be my first wife. I couldn't get that hussey to dig for more than five minutes. " I'm tired, I'm thirsty, I have cramps," on and on and on.

MAGA

Dec 2015
    Oregon Coast
    700 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodshed,gamecart,2016 084.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	1660879 I never liked this piece of junk. Hated the riffles and should have reconfigured the whole thing. I was so steamed at the performance I forgot I leaned it on the pickup when I left the spot and ran over it! Best thing that ever happened! It's probably in China now as it went in the scrap pile. Good riddance!
    Hamfist, akflyer, et1955 and 1 others like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    California
    459 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by B H Prospector View Post
    The Mckirk sluice.
    The McKirk sluices work great in low water flow. Often a piece of equipment will work great in some situations and poorly in others, the trick is to have the right equipment for the situation. I have a McKirk for low flows, two BGTs, one for medium flows and one for large flows, and an old fashioned (odd make) aluminum sluice with Hungarian riffles for unpredictable and varying water flows (like in a storm) as well as extremely rough places where I would sooner or later break my plastic sluices.

us
    Mar 2013
    46 times
    Prospecting
    That was the first ill word I have ever heard about the Mckirk sluice .... after reading hundreds of thousands of posts on many forums. What sort of problems did you have with it? Kind of curious... and thinking some here can help with some tips and change your mind about it. It's one I never got around to buying... was content enough with a standard drop riffle style sluice so it just never happened.

The Falcon MD20 pin-pointer detector is the other one I never heard an ill word spoken about. I know some had a glitch but from what I understand there was an easy fix for it.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Placer View Post
    That was the first ill word I have ever heard about the Mckirk sluice .... after reading hundreds of thousands of posts on many forums. What sort of problems did you have with it? Kind of curious... and thinking some here can help with some tips and change your mind about it. It's one I never got around to buying... was content enough with a standard drop riffle style sluice so it just never happened.

The Falcon MD20 pin-pointer detector is the other one I never heard an ill word spoken about. I know some had a glitch but from what I understand there was an easy fix for it.

i use the falcon to find the gold in quartz thad my minelab sees and I don't very useful/ essential for me

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    255 times

Worst prospecting equipment you have used?

Have to disagree with those who don't like the GoldHog Hog Pan. Obviously, a good stream sluice is faster but in those cases where there is not enough flow or a good area to setup for a sluice, the Hog Pan will process a lot of material fast, leaving great concentrates to work later at home. Three seasons of use have proven its worth to me.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    Have to disagree with those who don't like the GoldHog Hog Pan. Obviously, a good stream sluice is faster but in those cases where there is not enough flow or a good area to setup for a sluice, the Hog Pan will process a lot of material fast, leaving great concentrates to work later at home. Three seasons of use have proven its worth to me.
    back breaker. was much slower for me than a super sluice pan

plus I don't have to be in the water to use a regular pan. just couldn't make it as fast and useful. Twenty plus years with a regular pan made it impossible for me to deal with.
    johnedoe, Hamfist and et1955 like this.

us
    Jul 2014
    Nor Cal
    Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
    210 times
    Prospecting
    Black magic fine gold sluice is junk...once I learned to pan better I never touched it again
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Jun 2010
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winners58 View Post
    a pick & shovel I've seen people use them,

every time I use one I get blisters and a sore back.

all the gold just keeps falling back into the bottom of the hole.

seen people get good results digging the hole I halfway started.
    Blisters and a sore back; That's means its working!It comes with the territory!
    And don't dig your own holes, take over a hole that someone else had dug! Much easier!
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Jun 2010
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Hacking on peoples pans or sluices seems almost pointless unless you are willing to list the big three:

1. Dowsing Rods
    2. Long Range Locators
    3. "Treasure" maps with symbols bigger than a town on a 1:500,000 scale map

The value of every other gold getting device is way more than these three.

Heavy Pans
    Dowsing gold, etc. has always worked for me! Let me on your claim and can I keep all the gold I dowse?Just because you dont have the ability, doesn't mean others cant!

us
    Jun 2010
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    slowest finishing device, requires too much babysitting.

Blue bowl is better its like an endless miller table and you don't need a paintbrush.

Classify and run in batches and its super quick.
    Blue Bowl way too slow on the feed.
    Ended up using mine as a toilet!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Jun 2010
    343 times
    When i was new to prospecting, I built may own WOODEN SLUICE. Real fun watching it float down the creek!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links