Pyramid Pro pan by fossickers

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you have used the pyramid pro pan made by fossickers. I have been researching different ones and saw this one and then one called the hog pan. They both seem to do the same thing but the latter looks much heavier and with my back issues I am a little hesitant. Any opinions would be helpful. I am brand new to this and am looking to get some equipment for next spring and spending some time out panning. Thanks everyone.

Mike

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't own a pyramid pan but I have seen reviews that rate it pretty highly. It seems like it's use processes a lot of material very quickly and is very competitive to a small sluice especially since one can use it in still water. Reviews combined with the bonus that one can sit on his butt while still effectively using it....probably meets your needs and concerns with your back problems. I too like the concept of the Flow Pan but I can see that it is also a back breaker so maybe not your best choice(?). The price is certainly competitive though and Doc builds nothing but quality products.

Good luck.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont have much experience with the pyramid pan other that casually watching, but is similar in operation, notable differences to me seem that the pyramid is a lot lighter weight, has nicer handles that keep your fingers up out of the water and has a different style of trap. I tried out the Hog pan at a club outing and found it heavy and unwieldy, in order to get a good action on it without tearing your back up you have to be almost waist deep in water.

OP
OP
O

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys. Appreciate the info:) I will take a look at the flow pan. Maybe that would be the best for me.

Mike

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oregonoutback,
Welcome to Tnet. The back problems with panning are not so bad IF you use a piece of closed cell foam to sit on in the water and can prop your back up against a comfortable rock. If the water is cold to real cold then ya got a problem. Best of success with whatever pan you purchase............63bkpkr

OP
OP
O

oregonoutback

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr,
Thanks! I will have to figure something out if I am going to try to use a pan that moves a lot of dirt. I am 6'8 and did mess up a disc years ago so not only is it because of my height, but with the injury it makes it very difficult to do things like this without pain. That may be something I try this spring using the foam trick. Like you were saying though, the water will be super cold from snow melt so I may not be able to try that until it warms up some. I appreciate the input from everyone. This site is great for someone like me starting out. Full of great information!!!

Mike

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife uses the Fossiker pan to clean the classified material larger than 1/4".The smaller material she runs through her small recirculating highbanker. She has used it to pan a shovel full of dirt and it did it pretty fast once she got the hang of it. Good Luck!

The Fossicker

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Oregonoutback,
I am The Fossicker and the Inventor of the Pyramid Pro Pan. Sorry to hear about your back troubles - this is a common complaint from many of my customers who want to move a lot of gravel, but cannot bend over or handle much weight in their Pan. I even have customers who have many different hand problems including one brave lady who has a Brain Tumor and uses my Pan for physical therapy. Mining is a physical pursuit and so requires a certain input from our body. Fortunately, the Pyramid Pro Pan which is the fastest Production Pan in the world and used on six continents, is very light weight and easy to handle even with large amounts of gravel. First off, I never recommend using any heavy object, full Pan or not, bending parallel to the river flow even from the bank area. What I recommend to my customers is to get a Camping Stool to use for sitting in the river. This technique allows you to be comfortable while keeping your back in a straight position. When using the Pyramid Pro Production Pan which can be heavy when completely full, all you have to do is hold onto the handles with your elbows on your knees then move the Pan back and forth using your wrists. To get a complete picture of what I'm saying, go to my Web Site Snake River Products ? Innovative Products that Redefine Mining and watch my Videos. If you need any more information or questions, just ask and I'll try my best to accommodate. Cheers.

The Fossicker

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good explanation Fossicker. Sitting on a chair or stool in the river is a great way to pan. I like the looks of your Pro-Production-Pan.

Mike

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much water depth is required to use the Pyramid Pro Pan properly?

I don't own one but it appears that the pan is about 9 or 10" to the bottom of the plug. By that I would say that you need about a foot of water minimum to operate it safely....don't hit bottom with the plug as you may dislodge it and lose the contents. If you dig a hole in the creek to pan in be aware that you will be filling the hole as you pan so you need to clear it periodically.

A less expensive alternative: I have an EZ pan and it is fast and efficient for production panning. Check this link for availability. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1.......0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.fW4pqybuFOM. Also the first post in the following link has a video on how to use it. I only use mine to concentrate/production pan not to do the final steps as shown. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/453068-ez-gold-pan.html

Good luck.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a pyramid pan, didnt care for it.
Its hard to beat a conventional gold pan
your mileage may vary

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Lillooet, British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't own one but it appears that the pan is about 9 or 10" to the bottom of the plug. By that I would say that you need about a foot of water minimum to operate it safely....don't hit bottom with the plug as you may dislodge it and lose the contents. If you dig a hole in the creek to pan in be aware that you will be filling the hole as you pan so you need to clear it periodically.

A less expensive alternative: I have an EZ pan and it is fast and efficient for production panning. Check this link for availability. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1.......0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.fW4pqybuFOM. Also the first post in the following link has a video on how to use it. I only use mine to concentrate/production pan not to do the final steps as shown. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/453068-ez-gold-pan.html

Good luck.

HI Arizua, I have owned my propan now for my best guess is 5 years. There is no way that the plug will come out. Its never happened for me. As Fossiker pointed out, you can rest your forearms on your knees which I do hunkered over and slosh with your wrists. I load this thing up and it works great. My pan this year developed a crack where the plug goes in the bottom. Fossiker had zero problem sending me a replacement pan. No questions asked. Where can you find that kind of warranty?The Pyramid Propan does exactly what you need it to, catch the fine gold (haven't found any pickers where I pan) and move a lot of dirt quickly.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a non owner nor having never even seen one apparently my observations from pics does not warrant concern about the plug dislodging if it hits the bottom. Is the wing nut recessed? As a side note; most reviews are positive but some mention cracking just as you have experienced and were sent back for replacement. Apparently this guy did not know of the guarantee until he posted this on another gold prospecting forum:

"Harry:
Here is my take on the pan from the field test I did with it. JUNK! It cracked where the plug goes in so now won't hold the plug.

Vikingsniper:
Harry
I have never had any problems with my Pyramid Pro Pan <-NO_>
The Fossicker offers a life time guarantee, that is one of the reasons why I purchased the pan.
I only tighten the drain plug a 1/4 turn and it's not going anywhere.
The Fossicker:
Howdy Harry,
Sorry to hear your trap hole cracked - it was probably a flaw in the plastic or you torqued the crap out of it. Nevertheless just like the Vikingsniper said, The Pyramid Pro is guaranteed for life so you can have a new one with no questions asked. In fact I am puzzled as to just why you didn't bring your Pan to my attention so that you could get your new Pyramid Pro Pan sent to you instead of telling everyone that this product is a pile of junk. There are hundreds of Pyramid Pro Pans being used everywhere on this Continent and some overseas and so far only one other crack on the exit hole has occurred. Anyway, it doesn't matter as this problem was fixed long ago so it won't happen again. SMI in Canada will soon have my new Pyramid Pro Pans so when they do, just give them your broken one and they will replace it with the new model. Does this make you a happy camper now? Cheers.

The Fossicker".

I take it you are not Harry.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a flowpan I didn’t care for plastic or the look of the pyramid. You should never lift anything if you have a back problem including a pyramid pan. One can attach homemade handles to the flowpan and it will work better than the pyramid.

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the Pyramid pro pan, I have not used my sluices since I bought it. You can process a lot of material and that's what its all about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread