Where to Prospect at old gold mine site

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Need some thoughts on where to look for gold at an old gold mine site (Lookadoo Mine) mined in 1800's up to first part of 1900, a lot of slave labor was used as well as other miners. Appears to mostly have been a pick and shovel operation with the exception of an area that was hydraulic mined. There are hundreds of test holes remaining on the property which are normally 4-6 inches in diameter and still 3-5 feet deep. No water source on the ridges is available where most of the mining was done, leaving me to think the old timer's either went up stream or used a heavy pump (some history books indicate the miners purchased a pump from England) to get the water around the ridges. The remaining ditch line is very evident today.

My question is this: If you were looking for gold today would you dig into the tailing piles or dig into the depressions between the tailing piles.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My question is this: If you were looking for gold today would you dig into the tailing piles or dig into the depressions between the tailing piles.

I would dig in the place on where I actually found the gold!
just dig.. don't over think it.. just dig.. if not here then there if you find some great if not I guess your gonna have to dig some more..

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some thoughts on where to look for gold at an old gold mine site (Lookadoo Mine) mined in 1800's up to first part of 1900, a lot of slave labor was used as well as other miners. Appears to mostly have been a pick and shovel operation with the exception of an area that was hydraulic mined. There are hundreds of test holes remaining on the property which are normally 4-6 inches in diameter and still 3-5 feet deep. No water source on the ridges is available where most of the mining was done, leaving me to think the old timer's either went up stream or used a heavy pump (some history books indicate the miners purchased a pump from England) to get the water around the ridges. The remaining ditch line is very evident today.

I'd start by poking around the base of the ridge where they were mining. A lot of mines back in the 1800's weren't just for precious metals but other commodities that had value worth the effort at the time. Mica was a big one. If theres no gold at the base of the ridge anywhere, barking up the wrong tree.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biotite,is present an abundant so is gold,all of your property is gold bearing,I have some cons to prove this, where you want to dig,is in your fields where you and your family had to level out the the tailings for agriculture, buckshot you are loaded with all that we look for.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sample everywhere sample sample sample

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is fantastic corundum from your property, as well, I will post a pic of the finds from up that ravine, 1108170929.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue with your location is there are So Many possibilities of where to look. I think I would take some of Lanny's advice and find a place likely up higher on the site where I would look down on the site to see what stands out: were the miners slept, where the results of the long tom's were inspected, any signs of a building (the Boss's place to sleep and stash the stuff they wanted to save), the spot that might show the greatest mining activity or some clue as to what might be the most likely spot to start your search.

How are you going to search: GBII, panning (where's the water source),

From the visual inspection you might be able to make a sketch of the site site with a few notes or questions about what you are looking at and why you feel you should search there.

So, build a plan (if possible) rather than jumping from location to location. Remember, if it did not look like gold then they pitched it into the junk rock pile. I would make the sketch and then use the detector to look for further clues (small amounts of nails along a line might indicate where a long tom rotted out), dug out spots say 24" by 6' in length on a hillside likely are what's left of where the miners slept (what was lost by them). Back then they would have made use of shady spots to take breaks, sleep at, etc., where was the outhouse, what would have caused them to walk a certain path frequently (what obvious landmark could have been used to be able to find something that had been buried).

Best of success with your adventure..............63bkpkr

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buckshot, a area that i would test,is around the confluence of the two streams on your property and the alluvial plain that it's created, confluences naturally create a large,and strong vortex that trap heavys,and create peninsulas, these will naturally have higher concentrations of gold than just a common meandering alluvial plain, I believe this would be a great place to test thoroughly, even the highground with that deep ravine had a couple (fly poops) from just that half bucket sample, so I would guess you could have success just about any where there,dang do I miss NC

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like there was much testing done and then the hydro was started at the richest deposit. Test the discharge ditch, confluence of the streams and detect the test holes. In days of old you needed a oz a ton to mine and now much less is extremely profitable. Have fun ,take your time and document what and where so you don't repeat and end up having to end up digging up your own tailings. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to each of you for your input, received some good food for thought and maybe others will chime in later.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What were they originally mining there?

I can't find any reference to a Lookadoo Mine but only a Lookadoo prospect in the 1950's. Is that a local name for the mine?

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What were they originally mining there?

I can't find any reference to a Lookadoo Mine but only a Lookadoo prospect in the 1950's. Is that a local name for the mine?

Heavy Pans

Yes local name, first saw it n a local history book and looking back at our 1946 deed there was the name Lookadoo where the most of the mine is located. They were mining gold primarily.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any tailing's? I've had luck detecting tailing's from mines in the past. :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any tailing's? I've had luck detecting tailing's from mines in the past. :skullflag:

Yes a lot of tailings, I've got a GB II but have used it very little, probably not enough to be proficient with it. I'm assuming any gold would be so small the detector might not pick it up. We recently had a flash flood and I'm considering running it over some of the gravel bars, some newly created to see if I get any gold. Deer rifle season is in here until almost Christmas so will most likely wait to do gravel bars near property lines until Deer season ends here.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes a lot of tailings, I've got a GB II but have used it very little, probably not enough to be proficient with it. I'm assuming any gold would be so small the detector might not pick it up. We recently had a flash flood and I'm considering running it over some of the gravel bars, some newly created to see if I get any gold. Deer rifle season is in here until almost Christmas so will most likely wait to do gravel bars near property lines until Deer season ends here.

You have the PERFECT detector for tailing piles!!! Get some birdshot lead from a shotgun shell, or a BB, ground balance your GBII, and you should be able to pick up the BB, or Birdshot. When you can do that, you're ready for the piles! :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread