Watch for rabid animals in the Superstition Mountain area..

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know how many of Y'all prospect or nugget shoot in the area, but
if you do venture into anywhere near the Superstition's be sure to stay
well clear of any wild critters. There are a lot of fox (Grey and Kit) in that
part of the state, so keep your eyes peeled..

Rabies confirmed in animals found in Superstition Mountain area - Arizona's Family

(FYI: It's "Watch for rabid animals in the Superstition Mountain area..
fingers move faster than the brain..:tongue3:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're out...carry!

I had a rabid coyote at the range while cycle testing my Saiga-12. Took 30 rounds of target loads to finish it off. Had I had slug or buck loaded I could have had it down in a lot less. Birdshot is for the birds!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOOOHHHH! :tongue3: I thought Sarge and the camera crew were back out there! :thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter lives on Long Island. She got home from the grocery store mid day yesterday to find a raccoon in the driveway whirling in circles. Had to call the police who shot it. Could have been rabies or that absolutely horrible brain parasite they get, which if transferred to a human is 100% fatal. I need to stop reading up on stuff like this. I may not go outside again.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank God that in my area our biggest concerns are rabid enviros....:BangHead:

In your case, shoot 1st, test later! Better to lead them than be dead by them cute, rabid little bugggers.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rabid animals of all kinds are tougher to kill. Blew a skunk to pieces trying to stop him one night at the campfire. He just kept coming after 2 hits by my bud with his 22 so my 12 gage ended that. It was like they fell no pain as brain gone mad. Always carry-John

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter lives on Long Island. She got home from the grocery store mid day yesterday to find a raccoon in the driveway whirling in circles. Had to call the police who shot it. Could have been rabies or that absolutely horrible brain parasite they get, which if transferred to a human is 100% fatal. I need to stop reading up on stuff like this. I may not go outside again.

RIGHT, the more I learn the more I wonder which thing I'm going to get with all my digging in the dirt and such. Then I quickly say screw it and commence rummaging through the soil anyways.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rabid animals of all kinds are tougher to kill. Blew a skunk to pieces trying to stop him one night at the campfire. He just kept coming after 2 hits by my bud with his 22 so my 12 gage ended that. It was like they fell no pain as brain gone mad. Always carry-John

That sounds like a pretty rough evening lol. Shooting a skunk to pieces anything like hitting one with your truck?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to move camp as stink would not stop-removed pieces,covered with dirt over/over but yikes nasty. Never seen anything to compare to it-well maybe x wife 2 in divorce court as she threw quite a stink also. :tongue3: John

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two weeks ago the guy in front of me hit a skunk, and it got caught on the bottom of his car and was dragging it!

Talk about crop dusting!

(we need a vomit smiley)

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two weeks ago the guy in front of me hit a skunk, and it got caught on the bottom of his car and was dragging it!

Talk about crop dusting!

(we need a vomit smiley)

green.gif~original

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right after highschool I let a friend practice for a driving test in my truck and he plowed down a skunk, the juices got up into the vents it was chemical warfare, he somehow managed to park the vehicle without crashing. Every time anyone would stick their head in that truck for months after they swore I was holding out on the big bag of weed...

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely just my EX scarin people. If you see a redheaded bowling ball with feet, just give her a push. She'll roll out of the way....

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skunks can be very helpful at times, too.

Back in the 90's when I was driving big trucks, a skunk was a useful
critter to have in the road when the weigh stations were doing truck
inspections.

Find a DOA skunk on the road (stinkier the better) and roll your drive
axles all over that critter, or in serious cases, you could take a deep breath
and then stuff that stinky bugger up in the trailer frame.

The DOT sure doesn't want that stinky mess in their shop, nor are they
too interested in crawling from front to back under it while they inspect
the brakes.

In short, they will just roll you across the scales and happily send you on your
merry way. Unless you have something completely obvious (like a flat tire), they're
not about to stop you for inspection.

It's not so much that I worried about getting a ticket for some mechanical
issue, as I kept my truck in top shape. It was the time that was the issue,
as an inspection will cost you at least an hour of time (50-60 miles), and
can completely foul up your day.

Yep...skunks can come in right handy...
skunk.jpg~original

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread