What Is The Best Prospecting Equipment You Have Ever Used?

rainwolf75

Nov 9, 2013
NW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am curious as to what you all would find to be some of the best equipment you have used and why it has worked out for you. Now for myself I would have to say the classic gold pans and the new hog pan simply bc of their versatility not to mention you can without any problem carry them anywhere due to their light weight.

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No matter what kind of method you use....sluice, drywasher, dredge or trommel, the final process is always a pan in your hand.
I swear by the LeTrap square pan. Its fast and efficient and I have worn out about a dozen of them over the years.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My batea, my geologists hammer, loupe and my knowledge.

The batea allows prospecting for both sulphides, gold and gemstones can also be found using it.
The hammer should be obvious, for sampling. The loupe for examining samples.

My knowledge for interpreting all the collected info.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to say my little hand crank keene drywasher, that little sucker can set out in the weather all year never get used, take it out, it starts first crank everytime.

Only drawback my shoulder is finally wearin out.
GT,,,,,

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
blue bowl,12volt keene dry washer,my dog.
brad

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My kayak or jetski powered jon boat to get to river banks where outboards cannot go; a Gold Well sluice by Bernie to capture the fines without any addons; a large modified two handle wok instead of a plastic pan; and my biological door bell and early warning system, our Toler Retriever, Ruby the rescue dog.

dog_not_at_rest.jpg

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My kayak or jetski powered jon boat to get to river banks where outboards cannot go; a Gold Well sluice by Bernie to capture the fines without any addons; a large modified two handle wok instead of a plastic pan; and my biological door bell and early warning system, our Toler Retriever, Ruby the rescue dog.

View attachment 1526379

have a picture of the modified wok?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did someone say Dog ? 003.JPG

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, but I'll unpack it over the weekend, shot a picture and post it. This pan doesn't wear out easily. The Teflon coating makes it work as good or perhaps better than some pans, worse maybe than others.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
have a picture of the modified wok?

Since I have two pans, I unpacked the easiest to access. The ribs aren't like the mold injection products, as they cannot have any undercuts. I use an off the roll 1/8th inch steel cable as the riffles in the pan. The round shape of the cable is somewhat deceptive as the round shape does have an undercut to catch the fines in the pan. Works for me... not pretty as commercial pans but perhaps more effective due to the cable and its profile. The handle provides an easy means of clipping it to a belt or backpack.

goldPan.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since I have two pans, I unpacked the easiest to access. The ribs aren't like the mold injection products, as they cannot have any undercuts. I use an off the roll 1/8th inch steel cable as the riffles in the pan. The round shape of the cable is somewhat deceptive as the round shape does have an undercut to catch the fines in the pan. Works for me... not pretty as commercial pans but perhaps more effective due to the cable and its profile. The handle provides an easy means of clipping it to a belt or backpack.

View attachment 1527057

Interesting. Some years back I did play a bit with "DIY" pans. What I found was hydrophobic surface coatings (i.e. oil-based lacquer) made panning for gold more interesting. Believe it made it easier. But also required more water, since it tended to roll off the surface easily! The gold, however, stuck to surface better.

When I needed riffles, a ribbed rubber matting worked well. Preferably big, deep ribbs. Glue onto the pan and you're good.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
The best prospecting equipment I have ever used was somebody else's strong back and weak mind.........:laughing7:

Last edited:

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513661679.269959.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513661697.822901.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513661716.391562.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513661733.514766.jpg my fluid bed sluices are definitely my favorite and most productive equipment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread