Is This Gold? (Silver-Quartz w Possible Gold?)

treasurewell

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2017
Simi Valley, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry if this kind of post has been made before. But I found this silver-quartz ore in the mountains and a retired prospector told me that the yellow is most likely gold. I found it on a convergence with lots of quartz and schist in the surrounding area, in an area with a bit of history- which makes me think there is a possibility that it might actually be gold.

My question is, does it look like gold to you guys? I am VERY new to this; It stays yellow regardless of the sun/shade and isn't brittle or flakey.

And if you think it's something else, or have any tips for telling the difference better in the future please let me know! :)

Attachments

• 20171206_114623.jpg
    20171206_114623.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20171206_115421.jpg
    20171206_115421.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20171206_115023.jpg
    20171206_115023.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0
OP
OP
treasurewell

treasurewell

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2017
Simi Valley, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I would LOVE to know! Because it sure would be helpful to have an eye that sharp

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Is gold never found with pyrites? One way to know for sure, crush and pan.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Of course crushing and panning will tell the tale.

Pictures are the worst way to identify minerals. That said, the no color change combined with not being brittle are good identifiers of gold. I would try once more by prodding it with force with an ice pick or other sharp object and then look, with a magnifier, for indications of denting..likely gold or worst case flaking or shattering....not gold. If it is gold then it could be a specimen piece worth keeping or selling.

Good luck.

Last edited:

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
From the pic the silver part is likely arsenopyrite and the yellow chalcopyrite(copper pyrite).See the green on the quartz?Arsenopyrite is sometimes a good sign for gold in a vein.Was this float or from a vein in place?Get yourself a good book such as handbook for prospectors by Richard Pearl or older editions by VonBernewitz.You might be able to get them online for cheap if you search around or available from many public libraries.In the field time is the best teacher,especially with a partner who has experience.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
From the pic the silver part is likely arsenopyrite and the yellow chalcopyrite(copper pyrite).See the green on the quartz?Arsenopyrite is sometimes a good sign for gold in a vein.Was this float or from a vein in place?Get yourself a good book such as handbook for prospectors by Richard Pearl or older editions by VonBernewitz.You might be able to get them online for cheap if you search around or available from many public libraries.In the field time is the best teacher,especially with a partner who has experience....https://www.google.com/search?hl=en.....1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..2.17.2803.UXMk30lu-vk

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One should use the copper colors as an indicator when prospecting, copper, gold, silver all like to hang out together, when i see the copper i start looking hard for gold values, not so much if i see pyrite but thats my area others may be differant.
Hope this helps your search.
GT,,,

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold an pyrite are found intermixed. It gets very problematic....

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the pic the silver part is likely arsenopyrite and the yellow chalcopyrite(copper pyrite).See the green on the quartz?Arsenopyrite is sometimes a good sign for gold in a vein.Was this float or from a vein in place?Get yourself a good book such as handbook for prospectors by Richard Pearl or older editions by VonBernewitz.You might be able to get them online for cheap if you search around or available from many public libraries.In the field time is the best teacher,especially with a partner who has experience.

I have a copy of Von Bernewitz handbook for prospectors and operators of small mines that is bound in snake skin and has a 4 leaf clover taped into the front cover, its like a good luck charm for me, my first copy was destroyed in a freak accident, my second copy was stolen third times the charm.

OP
OP
treasurewell

treasurewell

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2017
Simi Valley, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome honestly thank you guys sooo much. (Sorry for late reply!) This helps me tremendously, It's in a very copper-silver rich area, the quartz even has lots of malachite and azurite running through it. Thank you for noting the relationship between copper colors and gold (especially chalcopyrite) this actually helps me alot. I'm gonna continue looking into what this is for a while. Sounds to me like it's most likely pyrite. (It's float by the way! But I think I know then exact outcrop it came from, there are a couple large visible quartz veins about 50 feet up the cliffside above where I found it. Gonna look into this, and if its gold I will look around for more and see if its worth going up!)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^ IF it "floats by the way"it sure isn't gold.A inexpensive gold detector would help you a ton.Or even borrow one.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
get a test kit. looks like gold to me. let us know

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions