GPS Unit

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GPS enabled phones actually do remarkably well considering their size and all the other things they are doing. Iphone lasts longer than Android but I hate Iphones (its personal). A external battery pack will keep you going all day. A phone will give you accuracy to about 5 meters in ideal conditions...open sky, clear weather, no trees or mountains nearby.

As far as a handheld GPS goes, they were designed specifically for this use and they do it well. They come with features and apps that your phone does not. Garmin set the standard to which all other GPS units are compared. A good Garmin, WAAS enabled GPS will give you accuracy to 3 meters, again in ideal conditions. The US Government Satellites provides a signal that is accurate to 4 meters 95% of the time. If you stand in one spot for a while the GPS will log position coordinates and average them to give you accuracy down to 3 meters. Civilians will not get better than this, at least for now. For some reason a canopy of old growth timber above you will really mess with the signal. For laying out a claim you need a feature call "waypoint projection". This allows you to set up a destination waypoint that is a specific distance and direction from the previous. You program the claim corners at home then go out and just follow the GPS.

I currently use a Garmin Montana 650T and I love it. I can project a corner, find it and plant a post. Then I can photograph the post with the built in camera and the GPS coordinates will embed into the picture. My previous GPS was a GPSMap 62CSX. It was a work horse and is a fine unit. I upgraded because I wanted the larger screen. A 62 will still cost you $150-$200 used.

OP
OP
Panman

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you'r ein a area with no cell signal? I believe the GPS units work without a cell signal

OP
OP
Panman

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPS enabled phones actually do remarkably well considering their size and all the other things they are doing. Iphone lasts longer than Android but I hate Iphones (its personal). A external battery pack will keep you going all day. A phone will give you accuracy to about 5 meters in ideal conditions...open sky, clear weather, no trees or mountains nearby.

As far as a handheld GPS goes, they were designed specifically for this use and they do it well. They come with features and apps that your phone does not. Garmin set the standard to which all other GPS units are compared. A good Garmin, WAAS enabled GPS will give you accuracy to 3 meters, again in ideal conditions. The US Government Satellites provides a signal that is accurate to 4 meters 95% of the time. If you stand in one spot for a while the GPS will log position coordinates and average them to give you accuracy down to 3 meters. Civilians will not get better than this, at least for now. For some reason a canopy of old growth timber above you will really mess with the signal. For laying out a claim you need a feature call "waypoint projection". This allows you to set up a destination waypoint that is a specific distance and direction from the previous. You program the claim corners at home then go out and just follow the GPS.

I currently use a Garmin Montana 650T and I love it. I can project a corner, find it and plant a post. Then I can photograph the post with the built in camera and the GPS coordinates will embed into the picture. My previous GPS was a GPSMap 62CSX. It was a work horse and is a fine unit. I upgraded because I wanted the larger screen. A 62 will still cost you $150-$200 used.

Nice. Thank you!

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pick up an inexpensive android tablet on eBay or craigslist, then buy a $5 app called mapsPro. I've used it for a number of years for navigation of my jet ski jon boat. Does not require wifi to navigate, must have GPS built in. A new android tablet may cost $50, app is $5. Accurate within a few meters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread