High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a Garmin 62s for geocaching, but they are not cheap. They are accurate down to two feet or less. The best GPS unit will not find the post if the guy that placed it used "the best cheapest in the $100 range" to place it. See if you can find someone with a GPS that will come out in exchange for a chicken dinner.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
You can get refurbished Garmin Gps's ...punch that into Google search...Also the county your looking in ..check at the county surveyors office..they have detailed maps with landmarks and claim markers if you know the section,range and township.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garmins got some good models.. I suggest going up a bit in price to around 150-200. Just better screens and maps/features that make it easier to read and figure out where you are. I personally use a discontinued Delorme Earthmate PN-60
https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthmate-PN-60-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0031QNP8O

On that note: $80 and a garmin, down and dirty, black and white screen
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex...1-13&keywords=gps&refinements=p_36:5000-20000

Next step up and probably the better deal: $150 Garmin, color screen
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-0...1-36&keywords=gps&refinements=p_36:5000-20000

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had my Magellan Map 330 for about 20 years. Sure makes it easy to find crab pots in the sea! $50 ebay today, probably $400 new

OP
OP
Panman

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very helpful thanks!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking at the 64st.

Got the map64st last year to replace my 20 plus year old magellan which was my favorite toy of all time until I got my Whippet. Only replaced it since the screen was going kaput.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My smartphone has a gps built into it. Yours?

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
I have the app "US Topo" on my smartphone.You don't need to have service for it to work. Just need to download the map of the area you will be in

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Onxhunt an app for smartphones shows you the boundaries of property plus who owns what. Also thediggings.com for easy claim information and who currently owns what(although you might want to check with your blm office for current up to date, by the day info). Then there's a variety of apps that will show you you're current latitude and longitude.

To me that's the best combination to see where I can go.

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree with crumbaker - OnXHunt app on phones has ability to enter GPS coordinates, download area maps for areas where there is no cell data, works with GPS sats. Great app -use it for hunting, prospecting, and hiking.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only problem with phones is the battery goes too fast. I've tried to use my GPS out there and it's pretty worthless. Drains it quick.
Agree. Maybe best to use any GPS unit for longer battery life.
Do some GPS units have a external power jack for say a extra battery pack? Maybe carry extra batteries.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah the gps might be best w/batteries but my phone won't last, I tried it last week. I wonder if the downloaded stuff takes less energy possibly?
The cell phone may be doing more then the function then what is needed to store "Way points / location points" on a storage card. This could account for the short battery life of the phone. Others may know more about this.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Putting the phone in Airplane mode helps. They also have portable power banks for phones. Still,will never come close to the battery life of a hand held
GPS unit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread