Gold Hog Flow Pan - Initial Impressions

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I received a pre-release model of the Gold Hog Flow pan to test out... here is a quick video with some hands-on panning and an unexpected surprise! Bottom line - it works well =) I tested it using still water only a few inches deep to really push it and it does a great job. I really think it will put the Hog Pan out of a job at some point.

You can subscribe to my youtube channel here: www.youtube.com/au79prospecting

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the vid doc made and now this ,I want one, seems perfect for testing, much faster than screens and whatnot I drag around.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AU79... you'll have fun with it when you get to the field.
I hope to be shooting another video next week and scouting some areas with it.
Doc

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AU79... you'll have fun with it when you get to the field.
I hope to be shooting another video next week and scouting some areas with it.
Doc

Will these be legal in hands and pans areas in cali do you know? Technically it's classified as a gold pan correct?

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will these be legal in hands and pans areas in cali do you know? Technically it's classified as a gold pan correct?

Correct...... it is a gold pan and the patent is filed as such. We just essentially opened up the ends to allow flow and exchange.
You can also order solid sides with it, but that mainly is for the person that wants to use it a tailings checker for a highbanker
when not panning with it. We actually started with basic round plastic pans as seen here: Patent Tech | Flow Pan then evolved it over the past two years
to the finished product. The only way to use it as a hand pan. It will not work as a sluice FYI.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Doc's a little scared of beach sand with this pan, but I know that it will work.

This summer I wanted to pan out some gold to show all the folks visiting the beach what the gold looks like. I took 3 scoops in my 14" Garrett pan and headed into the lake to pan it out. As I was stratifying a wave washed almost all the blond sand out. Then as I kept the pan stratified, the next 3 waves washed out all the black sand except what was caught in the riffles of the pan. I couldn't believe I had any gold in the pan, as I had gone through the material so fast. As I fanned back the black sand I found 5 pieces. That's my experience on Lake Superior.

Then I see Doc's Flow Pan video, and he's doing manually what the waves did to my pan! His pan should do much better, as it has much better capture surface than my Garrett. Beach sand may require different matting for best capture, and/or reduced pan loads.

So I'm already very happy about this pan! I'll be ordering one next week.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know Doc's a little scared of beach sand with this pan, but I know that it will work.

This summer I wanted to pan out some gold to show all the folks visiting the beach what the gold looks like. I took 3 scoops in my 14" Garrett pan and headed into the lake to pan it out. As I was stratifying a wave washed almost all the blond sand out. Then as I kept the pan stratified, the next 3 waves washed out all the black sand except what was caught in the riffles of the pan. I couldn't believe I had any gold in the pan, as I had gone through the material so fast. As I fanned back the black sand I found 5 pieces. That's my experience on Lake Superior.

Then I see Doc's Flow Pan video, and he's doing manually what the waves did to my pan! His pan should do much better, as it has much better capture surface than my Garrett. Beach sand may require different matting for best capture, and/or reduced pan loads.

So I'm already very happy about this pan! I'll be ordering one next week.

Wait until after Christmas.....maybe you will be one of Doc's happy winners along with me and two others.:laughing7:

Last edited:

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct...... it is a gold pan and the patent is filed as such. We just essentially opened up the ends to allow flow and exchange.
You can also order solid sides with it, but that mainly is for the person that wants to use it a tailings checker for a highbanker
when not panning with it. We actually started with basic round plastic pans as seen here: Patent Tech | Flow Pan then evolved it over the past two years
to the finished product. The only way to use it as a hand pan. It will not work as a sluice FYI.

Ok looks like I'm gonna place a order thank you doc

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It has been brought to my attention I didn't put it together correctly (the joints should not be visible inside the pan). After correcting this, it works even better than when I initially tested it. Can't wait to take this out to the claim!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions