Finally got the Provisional Patent Application in...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in August, I came up with an idea for a dry gem recovery machine. I've been working on this for 3 years. Finally gave it up as impossible a year ago. Then the idea in August. Testing revealed that it worked. Then I took it down to Bonanza Bar on the Snake, and recovered 4,000 flakes of micron gold, running wet. That from about 1/2 yard of bank-run material. All I did was remove the rocks bigger that 2". I decided then I was going to try and patent it. So far, I've found nothing like it in my "Prior Art" searches. I started doing some of the drawings in October, then got sidetracked by nice weather, and didn't get back at it until Middle of November. 250 hours later, I have the entire Utility Patent Application done, except the Abstract. I decided to go ahead and file the Provisional App, so I could spend more time reviewing the Utility filing before sending it in. Got the Prov in tonight....what a relief. Finally have a locked-in filing date, and time, and can put "Patent Pending" on any of the units I sell, or demonstrate. I'm going to delay publicizing the videos until I've got 20 of the units for sale. Nobody will want them in the winter anyway. I'm just so tickled to have the Provisional done, I had to tell my friends on T-Net. You guys that have nothing but real flour gold in your area are going to love this machine. P9140002.JPG
Yee Haa!!
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate the "congrats", Dave, but I don't have a patent yet. That takes any where from 1 to 3 years after filing the full utility application. I plan on filing that today, as a matter of fact. Then, I'm going to build a prototype version of the unit I plan on selling, but out of steel. Steel is easier to weld, and accommodates changes better.
Once I'm happy with that, I'll build one out of aluminum. We'll see how that goes. I'm hoping to have some for sale by the end of March.
For the most part, I've given up on the gem recovery. Though it still works for gems, it requires tight size classification that most people don't want to do.
Jim

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep me informed Jim.....
Our beach is waiting......:laughing7:

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will do, John. I tell ya, this application was a real pain. Got it all done today, but still have to mail in one of the documents, tomorrow. Took me 7 hours today, and that was with having the application completed. Just wading through the book to understand all the rules, and filling out the correct forms, etc. is a real piece of work. No wonder I've been stalling...LOL...I had an idea this was what it would take. Trying to get a patent is NOT for the weak-hearted, and it cost me, as a micro-entity, over $400.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread