Forest service 4x4 road usage/maintnace

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking into a way to transport people to my claim via 4x4 vehicle. Currently there is only access by ohv single track trail that limits access to foot or motorcycles and atv but the trail is much to difficult for atv as there are some gnarly switchbacks that are so narrow and steep its almost impassable. This current route would be in passable width wide for sure in a 4x4 jeep or equivalent. I've always noticed a bald spot along the ridge that looks to be a straight shot down to the man made ohv crossing over the creek, I imagine at one time FS bulldozed straight down the ridge to this location and used during construction of the crossing.It is currently overgrown with shrubs and has some fallen trees to deal with but im thinking might be resurrect-able. The entrance has been blocked off by a mount of dirt forcing people to use the trail. Honestly I always knew it was there and didn't really pay it much mind until recently when I purchased a utv and would like to somehow get down to the creek with it allowing me to bring people in and out of the claim easily. At least half of both paths down are within my claim boundaries, all is US forest land.

This fist map is a 1950's map courtesy of usgs, it shows what I believe is the road I am wanting to use and somewhat resurrect. You can see what is either marked as a trail or 4x4 road just below the number ten, this is the road in question.
P_20171228_171122_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20171228_173437_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Here is a current map and the current route.
P_20171228_171346_vHDR_Auto.jpg

This third map I created and blended the two maps together best I could and it looks to be just as I remember seeing it. if all goes as planned soon ill be mapping the wanted road path with my drone, and hopefully if possible clearing the route enough to use.
claim maps combined.jpg

I would like to know where I stand if I were to take it upon myself to make this route passable to access the claim. I believe it would only require some cutting of shrubs and moving some fallen trees. I would think that since its an existing road that I would be within my rights to do so given the circumstances. I wanted to run it by the crowd in case I'm missing something, last thing I want to do is ask the FS as I'm sure they would not be happy, but I feel I'm within my rights regardless here.

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asmbandits,
I've removed brush that Needed clearing from Old Trails in the past, one thing I've noticed is that if it is cleared at or near the top then LOTS of people will use it. Is your UTV four wheel drive, if not I would stay away from or seriously limit your dependency on the battery powered winch. Also I would suggest a backup of the 8000 lb Harbor Freight cable hoist and some extra cable with hooks on it as well as a length of chain with hooks. Do you use a helmet when you are out in the UTV? Any abuse to the ground will cause erosion especially if you go straight down, I would not do that. The FS puts road berms there to force the water to Not go straight down hill. All the curves on the existing trail might be copied IF you do use the old existing road.

Your use of the Drone is Superb! Perfect use for that technology, first look see is from the air!! Boots on the ground might be next 'step'. Be very careful. Make certain the UTV has a working spark arrester, you don't want to make an ash of yourself ( couldn't help myself! )

IMG_3436.jpg These work (purchased at hardware store around Auburn, near the Library). Be safe so you can take more trips with your wife as those are wonderful & special!.......................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How on earth is a road to a mining claim interstate commerce?

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 63, we ended up finding that the road we were eyeing was not worth the trouble, I have other ideas of using the trail system in place, possibly coming down from another direction as well.

We wear helmets on the utv at all times. I have to purchase another smaller one for the wife as mine are all big on her. It sure is great to be able to share my passions with her though and have her actually enjoy it.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MINERAL, VALUABLE – (MINE)- A deposit of a mineral ore or substance which is useful in commerce or the arts, occurring in quantity and quality sufficient to justify its mining and removal for sale; also, any quantity of such ore or substance in a vein or lode, the size and continuity of which are such as to justify an ordinarily prudent man in the expenditure of his labor and means in an effort to develop a paying mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread